Dapol N 121 Bubble...

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

During a routine search of Hattons I noticed that the 121 Bubble car has been listed.

Hattons

Seems that there are initially to be 4 liverys: Green c/w whiskers, Green c/w yellow warning panel, BR Blue and Network South East.....strange that no BR Blue/grey is listed, which I ideally need :rolleyes:

Also looks like an unpowered dummy will be available for 2 of the liverys above.

No news on dates - just wondered if anyone knew anymore about them?...I don't recall seeing a Cadcam etc...

Exciting stuff...that would be a very nice addition to the rolling stock...

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete,

I'm not sure about dates but here's a link to the only cad/cam that I've seen:

Dapol Website

Mike W - Thanks - I must have missed that one before - I guess they must have made good progress for Hattons to start listing specific liverys and numbers - Pete

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

And not forgetting the Kernow GW150, not expected by them 'til 2011cool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

Gerry - Thanks also - That I also missed - I guess my worsley works 121 bubble etch is going to stay part assembled/unpainted on my workbench if Dapol get this out this year - Pete

I'm similarly gagging for this one chaps,

I have resisted a BH Enterprises 121 to partner the 120 I have from the same stable, since the moment I buy one I am sure the Dapol 121 will appear - also going to be interested to see if the chassis will make a good surrogate for other 64' DMU's (being a western boy 118 and 117, 118 and 119 spring to mind as well as the 120 since the 108 cut and shut chassis I used for the 120 is temperamental to say the least).

Not to hijack the original post at all but the mention of the Worsley Works etc got me wondering too - have any of you good folk on here tried the Worsley 22 with Etched Pixels' bogie side frames ? (I am mentioning the 22 trying to invoke the law of s*d which again says the moment I have a bash at one, Dapol will follow their oo gauge one in N) ?

cheers,

Matt W

• RMweb Gold

I have resisted a BH Enterprises 121 to partner the 120 I have from the same stable, since the moment I buy one I am sure the Dapol 121 will appear - also going to be interested to see if the chassis will make a good surrogate for other 64' DMU's (being a western boy 118 and 117, 118 and 119 spring to mind as well as the 120 since the 108 cut and shut chassis I used for the 120 is temperamental to say the least).

Matt - Not tried the 22 myself so can't comment I am afraid...there was a nice job made recently of the WW class 24 on the forum...and then Farish brought out their version :rolleyes:

I too have the BH Enterprises 121 kit, which I think may have been part of the MTK/Fleetline range before. I was going to splice bits of the BHE kit with the WW scratch aid and run it on a TPM chassis unit...and then Dapol announced the rtr version.

One thing that is interesting though, is that Dapol seem to be making the same version of the 121 as a dummy, I guess so you can double up trains or mix and match etc but I was hoping they would have made the 121 DTS to couple up to the 121 DMBS. Perhaps that meant too much retooling?...

Pete

Frustratingly - I'm after a 122 - rather than a 121 -

I wonder if this is a possibility - if the roof is a separate piece - like on the 153 model - Dapol could do an alternative roof with route boxes and shell vents for a 122- then the only major change to the bodyshell required would be a 'fillet' below the guards doors - and the exhaust pipes - which I imagine will be a separate fitting to the bodyshell anyway....

The 122 has slightly different handrails - but i think they could be overlooked/excused in N - although it would be nice for the 122 to have the handrails below the windscreens removed too.

Any thoughts on this Dave?

The 122 offers a similar range of liveries to the 121 - except no 122s received NSE livery - but on the flip side , two 122s did carry Regional Railways (those are what I'd like more than anything)- and of course theres the Loadhaul 'bubble' (a nice one for a LTD edition model perhaps)

Another option isd the Midline bubblecar - with a route box at one end , and a large headcode box at the other - and a cool livery too!

tfn

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Not to hijack the original post at all but the mention of the Worsley Works etc got me wondering too - have any of you good folk on here tried the Worsley 22 with Etched Pixels' bogie side frames ? (I am mentioning the 22 trying to invoke the law of s*d which again says the moment I have a bash at one, Dapol will follow their oo gauge one in N) ?

I recalled a couple of threads on RMweb3 so did a search there, the comments from Etched Pixels may be of interest, and relating directly to that there are a couple of posts on the kit build from Vanders at the end of that threadcool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if this is a possibility - if the roof is a separate piece - like on the 153 model - Dapol could do an alternative roof with route boxes and shell vents for a 122

Jon

You might be in luck...Reading Mike W's link to the Dapol cadcam it quotes;

"and we are also making provision within the tooling for a replacement front end incorporating high intensity headlights, and a replacement roof/headcode plus engine to allow class 122 to also be made at a later date."

No comment on the later date though...For me the 121 and then followed by the Class 26 would be good :P

Pete

For the long kit built DMUs one of the easier chassis to use is the Farish (Poole era) GWR railcar. That's what powers my current (Msprays resin kit) 121s.. Replacement bogie outers from the old Farish 101 are available from BR Lines and directly match and

replace the GWR moulding. The only big job is trimming the plastic right back on the sides of the chassis and then thinning and fitting the white metal DMU underframe side details for BHE ones, or the resin bits from the old NSprays one.

If you try this don't let plastic filings get into the motor area, or if you do be very careful to clear it all out, otherwise later when it melts you need a new armature. Guess how I know 8(

Alan

Gerry,

thanks for the post above - useful stuff - I am getting seriously tempted by the 22, and;

Etched Pixels I did have a smooth running 120 on an old GWR railcar chassis till one day there was a bit of a growl, and the magic blue smoke appeared accompanied by a pleasant whiff of knackered armature ! The 108 stretched chassis is ok, but isn't a serious economic prospect and my 120 is at best, workmanlike !

regards

Matt W

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

That CAD looks mind-blowing! Will the motor still be underfloor or housed in the guards' compartment?

On the Dapol webpage they state:

"One benefit from this re-think regarding the underframe, is that we have managed to keep the 'super creep' motor and flywheels within it for running reliability and slow speed control."

My underlining, HTHcool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Gold

there are new cad/cam pictures on the Dapol website today. they look good!

Mark - Thanks for the heads up on this - agreed, they look really good - can't wait for it to be released now! - Pete

• 3 weeks later...
You might be in luck...Reading Mike W's link to the Dapol cadcam it quotes;

"and we are also making provision within the tooling for a replacement front end incorporating high intensity headlights, and a replacement roof/headcode plus engine to allow class 122 to also be made at a later date."

That's great news. When I first heard about the new model I was disappointed that Dapol had gone for Class 121 rather than Class 122 as the latter wandered around the country much more in BR days, for example Aberdeen-Inverness. I've already converted a few Lima DMUs in OO (including building a Class 131) but it would be nice to have a Class 122 which I didn't have to hack about for my N gauge layout.

I just hope like hell as it's not of similar cost to the 153. that was horrendous. But I also cannot wait. And want a 122. But like farish and their 222, it's probably too similar to bother making.

I think Dapol have actually said it was a variant they would look at after the first run because it was a relatively minor set of changes that could be easily made to the CAD. The 222 requires a complete set of new bodies for multiple vehicles, so extra tooling costs would be 5 or 6 times that of this "variant" for Dapol which would be a lower cost item (single carriage) to start with. But first we must buy many 121's - I know I shall :)

• RMweb Gold

Must admit, I was hoping they would make the trailer car to go with the 121...but I guess we can't have it all...perhaps it might be possible to buy a dummy and perform a little bit of surgery on it ;)

Archived