MRE - New models to be announced 4 Sep

Adams442T

Guest Max Stafford

Perhaps if somebody mentions that the NBLs spent their first year of life in The South, somebody might make a new one! ;)

Dave.

The problem with the Adams Radial 4-4-2T is getting it around toytown curves. The beggars are notorious in the kit world. Of course, toy curves might not be an issue if it is being promoted by a model shop for modellers, but then what minimum curve would be specified...24 inch radius?

• RMweb Gold

My money would be on the 1366 type pannier, with the ex-LSWR '02' coming in at second place. Even if the 02 isn't announced this time, I think it's only a matter of time before someone does this, same with the Adams Radial.... like the Beattie Well tank - all cute locos and very appealing the the collector market as well.

My money still goes on the former although I suppose the earlier saddle tank version would also be a very strong contender (if not even stronger when you consider the history). And I still wonder if that silence at the other end of the 'phone after I said 'something GW with a number beginning with 13' might be indicative ....... ;)

And if Kernow were to go for the saddle tank they would not be going into a semi-head-on 'new pannier' competition with Hornby if Mr Kohler has been able to bite the bullet and come up with something to replace the outmoded 2721. The first five words say it all B)

• RMweb Premium

Where's this link to the model being a Bluebell engine come from??

Post #44 of this thread is where the original quote here came from, but what site it referred to I don't know.

• RMweb Premium

I am going to throw in a wild guess, an outside chance of what I think (or hope more like) it could be.

An all new LBSC Terrier in OO complete with mould designed to cope with the numerous variations thereof? Fits in with the Bluebell theory and also a couple were used by the Great Western which points towards the Kernow connection/interest possibility. Plus the ye ancient ex Dapol/Hornby model is quite frankly past it.

Guest Belgian

And it's not much of a jump from this to a G6 :)

Sadly, there is. Although they look similar, there ain't much in common between the O2s and G6s.

The consensus seems to be that the Adams Radial is favourite - which does seem a logical follow on from the Beattie Well Tanks, and if so, it would mean that the full history of LSWR London suburban steam will have been covered, so is the "suspended" electric an early SR electric set, or even the LSWR 3-car sets produced from the Bogie Blocks?

JE

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps Bachmann could do someone a London & North Western "Military Mary" either in LNWR or LMS livery. Not much cost in that as the LNWR Class MM was really a GCR 8K, or ROD, 2-8-0 purchased from the Ministry of Munitions in 1919, but I doubt there would be much market either unless someone wants to make a display of all the ROD variants.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had an email from Ian Allen the day the site went off line advertising the forthcoming Kernow model show and letting the cat out of the bag about 2 new models-both already mentioned.

Paul

not long to wait now then......

What Coach said about the Adams Radial not going round tight bends is ironic, seeing as the real ones lasted so long precisely because they could[/u] get round the tight curves on the Lyme Regis branch!

Ed

PS once again my computer skills let me down! I was trying to get the word "could" in bold AND underlined.

PPS Now look what it's done! I'm taking the dog for a walk!

edcayton said :

What Coach said about the Adams Radial not going round tight bends is ironic, seeing as the real ones lasted so long precisely because they could get round the tight curves on the Lyme Regis branch!

One cannot compare the curves on the Lyme Regis branch with the curves routinely adopted by toy train players and scale modellers, and which RTR manufacturers have to accomodate when designing their model locos. smile.gif

I had an email from Ian Allen the day the site went off line advertising the forthcoming Kernow model show and letting the cat out of the bag about 2 new models-both already mentioned.

Paul

Thanks for not mentioning the specific content Paul. There was a bit of an administrative faux-pas yesterday at IA. I'd like us to honour Kernow's wishes and the information will be made public at their show and here (plus other places) on Saturday.

Won't be a Terrier - the Hornby model isn't THAT bad, performance and character wise (OK, detial variation poor), and rembmer Dapol's N Gauge terreir reused the data for the OO version (I recall reading somewhere), so its not like they have an updated set of dimensions. My gut instinct is you don't maximise your sales by commissioning replacement of a existing model (not to tread on the LMS twins debate); it won't have the same WOW factor, and a percentage of the customer base won't replace their existing models.

Radial and O2 seem possible, popular classes, but very regional models unlikely to be included in a main range. Would please people, and IOWSR have a nice shiny example of the latter for laser scanning.

Diesels - mention of GWR 175 FGW 57. I'd love one, but Kernow have just had a Pruple FGW 57 issued, and still have their GWR 150 47 to get rid of (it appears to be a slow seller - announced at least 2006/7 and they still havn't shifted 500 - maybe if they'd done Brunel or Great Western, they wouldn't have had a problem, but a no-heat example with a short livery application....).

Guest Max Stafford

I doubt it'll be anything in tune with my own interests, but good luck to those of you who discover it's something that's just right for you! :)

Dave.

Perhaps Bachmann could do someone a London & North Western "Military Mary" either in LNWR or LMS livery. Not much cost in that as the LNWR Class MM was really a GCR 8K, or ROD, 2-8-0 purchased from the Ministry of Munitions in 1919, but I doubt there would be much market either unless someone wants to make a display of all the ROD variants.

What about a limited edition Khaki liveried GWR Mogul, as currently worn by 5322..? Or, i've been thinking for a while that someone from Margate or Barwell will be kicking themselves when the other announces a GWR 42/52xx 2-8-0T. Surely that one can't be too far away....?

Archived