Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

NBL Class 21(ex-Hornby) repowering

Guest Austerity94

Guest Austerity94

Hi folks,

I realise this subject has come up before (in terms of repowering Hornby locos with Bachmann chassis) and specifically this class but I cannot find any reference to how it was done. The idea is to use a Bachmann class 20 chassis to repower the Hornby class 21/29. The latter's body will be modified and detailed so as to represent a loco from the initial Pilot Scheme batch. Can anyone suggest the best way to mount this new chassis into the existing body? What I do not want to do is use adhesives, as I want to be able to drop the chassis out for maintenance.

[An alternative would be for me to modify the Hornby drive: other than additional pick-ups are there ways of further improving the operation of the loco? It will be DCC fitted when finished.]

Again, many thanks for advice on this.

Regards,

Alex.

PS. This is one of the many side projects to distract me from inactivity in the layout design and building front.

Guest Austerity94

Thanks Pix,

It looks like I may have to sacrifice one of my 25s instead; I wonder what will then become of that 'spare' 20?!

Regards,

Alex.

There are several options here. As mentioned, a Bachy 25 chassis is good for an NBL 21/29. Our very own Mr Pete Piszczek is doing a class 29 (D6123) at the moment, based on a Bachmann 25 chassis. Obviously if you want to be really accurate you need to fit 14 spoke wheels. All NBL diesels had spoked wheels. (The class 20 chassis is good for a class 22)

I know Ringfield motors can give performance ranging from good to pretty poor, but adding extra weight and more pickups, as also mentioned, can make a vast difference. Another option is to cut the plastic across where the dummy bogie fits, and drop in another Ringfield motor. You can get replacement motor units for about £25.

Guest 30-something

Hi Alex

Im currently doing the very same as per my thread...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/20439-born-again-nbl-type-2/

Currently I have the chassis and bogies done and Im fine tuning the bogie swivel and mounting height just now, I'll be posting photos of the finished chassis very soon

Hope this helps

Joe

Guest Austerity94

Hi again,

Thanks for the link, Joe. I'll bookmark it. Hopefully, I'll be picking up an Hornby 21/29 later this week. Now tempted to put lights in it too!

Regards,

Alex.

Archived