Small N-gauge layout - "Chinthurst"

JonathanB

Hi, I'm new to this and have been playing around with a small N-gauge layout for a while. I've actually got some way to construction (very very slowly as time allows). I wanted to create a small scene to start with that could represent a branch line somewhere in the steam era, although it could just as easily be a restored line - nothing too serious here. To help things along I've been a little inspired by the Guildford-Horsham line which ran via Cranleigh and am imagining my layout to be a branch from this. The baseboard is just 900mm x 300mm (so just under 3ft x 1ft) which I'm now wondering is too small, but I really would like to make something of it as it is for now, so that size is fixed.

My initial plans are along the lines of the following, and I've already created the main track level and bridge over the canal section, along with side and rear risers for the hill at the right hand end.

post-9872-032064700 1284573842_thumb.jpg

The idea is that the track could be later connected at one or other of the ends to extend the layout. The front spur would descend to the canal for loading/unloading of freight.

The initial progress looks like the below, and I'm planning on building up with polystyrene coved in modroc bandage to shape the contours initially.

post-9872-088222500 1284574278_thumb.jpg

Just wondering if there are any comments or advice that can be offered to a newbie! I expect I won't get very much done until December when I have some time off work, but I thought I'd post this up now while I was thinking about it!

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Just thought I'd also add that I haven't got any stock yet, other than the 1414 Tank loco in the picture. I'd quite like to stick to these small locos (would like to get a Terrier) and smaller wagons and carriages (although doesn't look like you can get ready to run 26' style carriages as were used on the Guildford-Horsham line - as shown here.).

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan,

Good work so far.

I don't know much about steam era operations, but I wonder is the loop long enough to be useful?

Perhaps it could be made longer by swapping it with the point that leads to the goods shed. Or, alternatively, move the tunnel mouth nearer the edge of the baseboard and put it on the other side of the bridge. This would mean widening the bridge for two tracks, but would leave you with a loop long enough for (short) passing trains.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

As Ben has said extending the loop so that it starts the other side of the bridge would make a huge difference to the potential. I would also suggest moving the station building to the far end of the platform. This will allow you to extend the siding / bay making it more useful.

Hello Jonathan,

I like your source of inspiration and the landscaping you've done so far. Along with the carriages you've been looking at I sense a 'character piece' is in the making :) Are you aiming to model a particular period?

Baseboard construction looks good and solid too :)

For carriages you could look at the old generic Graham Farish four wheelers that come up fairly often on eBay (and elsewhere, second hand) as a quick and easy start.

Anyway, I think you're off to a promising start, I'll look forward to future posts.

Wow, some really helpful ideas!

Swapping the two points around doesn't leave much room for any scenics behind (or is that in front!?) of the station as it pushes the goods/engine shed and siding further left leaving lots of space between them and the canal cutting. So I've tried putting the loop points leading onto the bridge instead which seems to make much more sense!

post-9872-015493000 1284581023_thumb.jpg

I've already cut the bridge to be one track wide, but on reflection this is a good idea, although it does leave very little room under the hill to feed on trains... (maybe a removable 'fiddle extension' could be a later addition!). Not sure how I will go about widening the piece I've already cut for the bridge, but I'm sure it's possible with a little ingenuity (maybe it doesn't need to be one piece of ply at that level anyway). Typically I'd already made a Ratio Canal Bridge to tuck under, but I can re-work or change that as well.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

I like your source of inspiration and the landscaping you've done so far. Along with the carriages you've been looking at I sense a 'character piece' is in the making :) Are you aiming to model a particular period?

Thanks! It's a very vague source of inspiration, and although I like the steam era, in reality I'm not that fussed about an exact period - it's more just for the nostalgia!

I also should have mentioned that the other inspiration is the Rorgyle layout - I'm sure you can see the similarities.

• RMweb Premium

If you have some offcuts of the surface material (looks like ply) just cut a small bit of this to fill in the gap and make the bridge wider. A couple more small bits at each end will allow you to support this bridge section.

post-163-066156400 1284582434_thumb.jpg

If you have some offcuts of the surface material (looks like ply) just cut a small bit of this to fill in the gap and make the bridge wider. A couple more small bits at each end will allow you to support this bridge section.

Thanks Kris, it is indeed ply and your example was how I was thinking I can extend it without too many problems. Not sure how I can manage to remote operate the points which will partially lye over the bridge (I have Gaugemaster PM-1 motors for the points), but I'm sure something can be worked out, even if it involves rods and tubes!

• RMweb Premium

Could you extend the the pin on the point motor and disguise this as it goes up to the point? (Defiantly not the ideal solution but...) Could be hidden by a piece of ivy or some other piece of greenery, another suggestion is have a boat under the bridge with a person standing on the deck in a position that hides the pin.

Keep the updates coming :)

Sadly I fear the updates will be few and far between as I'm not around during the week due to a course I'm on at the moment and have precious little time available at weekends!

My enthusiasm here was spurred by a trip to Pecorama at the weekend. However, I did just visit the local model shop and buy another length of Flexitrack and some spare sleepers (which I didn't have previously), so maybe I can find some time now and then. Should have more time in December! :rolleyes:

How is the main running line to be protected from collisions with:

• Vehicles in the siding at the bottom running away to the left?
  • Vehicles in the top two sidings running away to the right?

The prototype would have installed trap points or a short shunting neck to avoid thse problems as it wouldn't have been sanctioned for passenger train operation without them.

Put these traps in and there is no need for signalling, as the branch would be operated on the "One Engine In Steam" principle.

I've already cut the bridge to be one track wide, but on reflection this is a good idea, although it does leave very little room under the hill to feed on trains... (maybe a removable 'fiddle extension' could be a later addition!)..

Hi Jonathan,

What a lovely project, and good luck with future progress. Don't worry about lack of space under the hill for a fiddle yard. This scheme is ideally suited to a cassette system. Short trains housed in their own transportable carrying case, no need to take stock off the track at the end of playtime/exhibitions and no extra add on baseboards, just a support for the cassette.

I look forward to further updates (work allowing!)

All the best, Mike

• RMweb Premium

Whilst you cannot get the 26' carriages ready to run, they are available in kit form...

http://www.etchedpixels.co.uk/index-southern.html#LBS20

Plenty of nice LBSCR stuff here!

Dapol have been good to those interested in small Southern Region tank engines with the M7 and Terriers. I'm a bit of a LBSCR fan - although model something completely different - and it is always nice to see examples of the many and varied branch lines in Sussex/Surrey/Hampshire in model form.:)

Thanks folks. As I said before, it's not really a serious replication of a prototype project... I'll just go with what looks good, with the general theme to help! :)

Also not sure I'm up for kit building just yet... let alone knowing where to start!

I've been looking at the scalescenes website this evening and thinking that I could probably build some buildings (medium station, engine/goods shed, signal box) during the week when I'm away to keep things ticking over. Trouble is, I'm not sure what sort of brick would suit my rough location on the Surrey/West Sussex borders. Any ideas? I just can't tell from the B&W pics on http://www.cranleighrailway.info what type of brick was used in the station buildings. I know that further East on the East Grinstead line where I grew up, both Lingfield and Dormans stations are pretty much red brick. Not that it really matters, as I'm not seriously trying to go too prototypical, but any suggestions would be helpful!

I've also been trying to think of a name for a while, trying to combine names in the Loxwood area (as the Wey & Arun canal runs through there) to make up something suitably local sounding, but definitely not real! Leading contender so far is "Loxfold" or "Loxcombe", with or without "Green" on the end.

Oh well, enough inane ramblings for now... I ought to be revising for exams! :blink:

• RMweb Premium

Of course, you could look a little further south for your inspiration and check out the very pretty wooden structures on the Pulborough to Midhurst branch; particularly Fittleworth and Selham. Both of these structures still exist, although there are plenty of pictures on line and in books. The wooden structure at Petworth was a little bigger, but still attractive.

Billingshurst is also quite a nice, compact station building.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, seeing as I can't do much on the layout, I've been playing with buildings. I bought some kits off ebay, including an old style Peco signal box, before gluing it all together, I thought I should paint it a bit as the yellow plastic didn't look right (funnily enough!). So after gluing in the windows and doors, I painted the weatherboarding and window frames in white acrylic (several coats) and have just mixed a maroon(ish) colour (for LBSCR style) and tried to do the border details not particularly successfully! More practice required I think!

Here's a rubbish iPhone snap of my awful painting... :blink:

post-9872-079430800 1285785636_thumb.jpg

PS. Should I start a new thread somewhere else to put my inane jibberings?

No, keep all the progress in one place. My thread ambles off the layout and onto buildings etc before wandering back so I think it is fine. ;)

If you are having difficulties with painting straight edges try getting some tamiya masking tape. It makes life a lot easier.

• RMweb Premium

That looks to have gone together nicely. It's hard to tell from the photo on the box, but does it come with an exit for the point rodding?

That looks to have gone together nicely. It's hard to tell from the photo on the box, but does it come with an exit for the point rodding?

No, just as it looks there really - the only bits not fitted yet are the gutters and drainpipes (which I can't work out how to put on yet!). I don't like the base much - so might cut that off.

Not too bad for a first attempt at making something like this! :)

Archived