Dorset Central -Blandford-150

bike2steam

A few weeks ago on the old site I mentioned that we at the Blandford Town Museum Model Railway Club were intending to hold a show next year, on October 9/10th, to celebrate the opening of the railway into Blandford in 1860.

Because I have been 'seconded' to help organize, and the powers that be originally intended to not pay expenses, because it is in aid of Blandford Town Museum, which is a volunteer run charity, they have no previous experience in this field, and were worried about overheads. I have managed to convince them of the error of their ways, but with a compromise. We can offer limited expenses to those exhibiting, but limited to 100 miles distance from Blandford.

From the original post the response was, as I expected - poor, but this time I am trying again, and putting out a plea for anyone interested in exhibiting to get in touch, first priority goes to S&DJR ( even Dorset Central ) based layouts, but all will be considered.

The show, hopefully, will not be just model railways, but will include railwayana, photos, and local paraphernalia.

Also being a 'showcase' for localish 'cottage industries' within the model railway fraterity. So if you are interested, including traders,demos,heritage groups etc, please get in touch.

So 'watch this space'.

• 10 months later...

Any details on the line-up, Paul?

Layouts;-

BLANDFORD (00)

Cogirep (French H0)

Eldon Sidings (0)

Engine Shed (00)

Evercreech Junction (00)

Flintcombe (P4)

Gorpeton Blymee (00)

Hennock (3mm)

Horton Road (0)

Salcombe Regis (00)

Shottesford Mill (0)

Tarrant Valley (009)

Wimborne (00)

Andrew Miller with his Hornby 3-rail layout

Gauge 0 Guild (CS) demonstration track

Traders;-

Aspire Gifts & Models

John Henderson

Modellers mate

Ray Heard

Railroom Electronics

Replica railways

Demonstrations, Railway Trusts, Displays;-

Allan Hammond (author)

Blandford Town Museum

Brian Jackson(author)

Colin Caddy (railway photos)

Colin Stone (author)

Dorset & Somerset Canal Historical Group(what could have been, a canal started just before the railway which 'killed it off'.

Geoff Butcher (0 Gauge brass loco building)

Hornby Railway Collectors Association

John Evans, with his displays of invaluable local transport information, from S&DJR loco rosters, and train formations to Poole Bay maritime charts, and historical ship movements.

Matchstick Models(collection of non-railway models made from matchsticks)

North Dorset railway Trust (Shillingstone)

Poole Flying Boats-Poole was a major port in their hay-day.

Railwayana collection (vast array of cast plates etc from various collectors)

Roger Slade (00 brass loco construction + Agenoria etc)

Somerset & Dorset Air Ambulance (promotional) + possible helicopter 'fly-in' on Sunday am.

Somerset & Dorset Railway Trust

Somerset & Dorset Heritage Railway Trust

6695 Loco Group

Finally, sorry about the lack of N gauge, no decent layouts seem to be available when asked.

Thanks, Paul - looks like an excellent selection. Any idea when doors will be open for set-up on the saturday morning?

8 o' clock - hopefully.

Apologies to John Evans, I've edited the list as I forgot to add his name to the displays:) .

• RMweb Premium

It's at Milldown School, Blandford, DT11 7SH. Public opening times are sat: 10:30 - 5, and Sun: 10 - 4.30. Admission: 3 pounds for adults, children and seniors 1.50. Free parking. I'll be there with Cogirep.

Thanks Al ,

all things permitting I hope to come along .

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to be a bit late with this posting .

I went along yesterday and spent a few enjoyable hours , for a 'first time ' show it was very good , so congratulations

to the organisers .

I found a good selection of layouts , good trade support and excellant catering facilities , the catering alone put some

bigger shows to shame .

There were some superb O gauge exibits , made me wish I could afford to go up a scale , a nice selection of OO , a good

OO9 for the narrow gauge folks , and then for something completly different , Cogirep . This was my second close up view

of this layout and it still has a certain charm about it , I enjoyed a good chat with Al , alias Barry 10 , and even held the

controller while he went for a cup of coffee , but being a coward I did not try to move anything . :O

I hope that the club consider another event next year , while it is never going to a threat to the likes of the Yorks and

Warleys it was a great ' club ' atmosphere event .

So again , well done to all concerned , I hope it was a success for all your efforts .

I went along yesterday and spent a few enjoyable hours , for a 'first time ' show it was very good , so congratulations

to the organisers .

I found a good selection of layouts , good trade support and excellant catering facilities , the catering alone put some

bigger shows to shame .

There were some superb O gauge exibits , made me wish I could afford to go up a scale , a nice selection of OO , a good

OO9 for the narrow gauge folks , and then for something completly different , Cogirep . This was my second close up view

of this layout and it still has a certain charm about it , I enjoyed a good chat with Al , alias Barry 10 , and even held the

controller while he went for a cup of coffee , but being a coward I did not try to move anything . :O

I hope that the club consider another event next year , while it is never going to a threat to the likes of the Yorks and

So again , well done to all concerned , I hope it was a success for all your efforts .

Many thanks for that, apart from a few hiccups it went better than expected , although the good weather today affected the attendance, we have much to discuss at our next club meeting on Wednesday. We 'touted' many good people for their thoughts, and constructive criticism, one being my friend Nick of 'Modellers Mate' fame.

It was good to meet 'barry10', and his excellent layout, it certainly is different.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for that, apart from a few hiccups it went better than expected , although the good weather today affected the attendance, we have much to discuss at our next club meeting on Wednesday. We 'touted' many good people for their thoughts, and constructive criticism, one being my friend Nick of 'Modellers Mate' fame.

It was good to meet 'barry10', and his excellent layout, it certainly is different.

A pleasure Paul ,

I guess it can be difficult to organise a show at a school when you have to use multiple rooms , but I liked the way you

mixed things up , by which I mean a couple of layouts and some trade or other interest stand in the same room , I think

this worked well , it was a shame that a couple of the advertised entries did not make it but this is allways on the cards ,

I really cant think of anything that would cause me to not want to come again , so if you do organise another one I will

definatley come along , it's only 58 miles from me so it's almost local , and as I was saying to Al , if you only go to the very

local shows , say 20 or so miles , you keep seeing the same layouts , and even with the best trade in attendance this gets

a bit boring .

to the organisers .

bigger shows to shame .

Hear here,

I'll Second that Sidecar Racer.

A very, very good show, with plenty of variety (not withstanding N Gauge), with loads of friendly folk on both sides of the base boards / trade stands. In fact, I haven't had so many one to one, friendly conversations on railway matters for many a long while. Club layout operators, model builders / how to do it demonstrators, museum and trust archevists and those in the model trade, all took time out for a pleasant natter about all and sundry.

It was so good, I went back for a second helping (including the catering) on Sunday.

Well done & thanks Paul, the Blandford Club crew and the Blandford Museum for putting on a grand couple of days out.

P.S. I must remember to take my compass next time, as I do admit to getting a little lost, both outside and inside the venue,

Cheers.

I would like to add my appreciation of the event as an exhibitor-we enjoyed two days of sheer enjoyment, never a dull or boring moment, it is nice to be able to talk to the punters, we even made a contact for tree making. I do however have one small gripe- we spent the whole weekend constantly tempted by Rays sales stand. We did succombe several times, oh does anyone have Ray Heards telephone number?

Thanks again Paul and the rest of the organisers, do it again sometime.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

I do however have one small gripe- we spent the whole weekend constantly tempted by Rays sales stand. We did succombe several times, oh does anyone have Ray Heards telephone number?

Steve

You and me both Steve , it is allways hard to keep a wallet under control when you see some of the goodies that Ray

has to offer . Luckily this time I got away with just a £6-50 deficit . :D

Ray's phone No , 01823 480097 , Dont spend to much . :rolleyes:

Cheers .

Archived