Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Menasha - an HO scale exhibition layout

YankeeRailroader

I guess I should post all recent developments on our little empire on the new RMWeb. The previous work will remain on the 'old' RMWeb.

So what's new?

After a recent visit to the USA (North Carolina) to 'research freights cars' and photograph railroading there I was inspired to start 'trashing' some of my colourful and clean box cars.

My weathering techniques still need plenty of development and practise but at least I am having a go.

Another development has been the arrival of the sound fitted SOO MP15AC from Athearn Genesis. The sound aspect adds a whole new dimension to the hobby. I am still getting my head around the new 'toy'. It will certainly keep some of the younger punters at exhibitions happy(er).

Here are some photos.....

The weathered box cars are 'work in progress' as the end reporting marks aren't added yet. The reporting marks EEC and MSDR are real but the car nos aren't. The yellow Apalachicola Northern PS5344 box car will have a restencil TASD added and some more weathering. The actual car is real.

The graffiti 'tags' are from Microscale sets. During my visit to the USA last month I saw the best tag ever on a grey covered hopper.

If you are a freight car person then click on my fotopic link at the bottom of this post and there are some links to websites with hundreds and hundreds of pix of freight cars.

post-1116-1258239342515_thumb.jpg

post-1116-1258239377401_thumb.jpg

post-1116-12582395444082_thumb.jpg

post-1116-12582395678192_thumb.jpg

I should summarize some of the recent developments in more detail as this is the new RMWeb. And here are some older pix....just to save anyone the task of looking up the old RMWeb Menasha. The layout won't be appearing at the Wakefield Show later this month as its on a three year cycle. So the photos are:

WRMX 1548 (ex SOO nee MILW) is a DCC only MP15AC from Athearn Genesis. It performed extremely well at the show last November. I am in the process of upgrading this 'Bandit' to Sound using a Tsunami chip. We are all impressed with the newer sound fitted SOO LINE red scheme MP15AC shown in an earlier photo. The box car is a very nice Exactrail model of a 50' Trinity Hicube.

Guilford units almost certainly wouldn't be seen in the area however this scene shows progress on the Menasha Utilities power plant and powerline masts. The tall mast is one of two built by Steve Foster. Some parts will be replaced with brass section as brass is more robust! The roadways at right have been relaid and painted. There is still some work to do on the Lumber yard.

Power that has a slightly higher chance of appearing in the area are these two SD40-2s. The train represents the "Manitowoc Turn" which ships grain to an Anhauser-Busch Malting Plant in Manitowoc. The train should have a couple of WC units on either GP40s or SD45s. The swing bridge has had the electrical contacts modified so that contact is made between the bridge shoes and the pedestals at the righthand end. Work is in progress to motorize the bridge.

The 'Bandit' switches the small yard. Note the reflections in the canal! The canal has had numerous coats of gloss varnish to create the effect. The Wisconsin Central box car is an Exactrail model of a PCF Hicube.

The 'Manitowoc Turn' as it will look like at exhibitions. A Kato SD45 and an Atlas GP40.

An important aspect of the model is the road traffic. Looking at the photos of the real site there are plenty of trailers parked in various loading bays. However we could only model a small part of that. The tractor is an Alloy Forms model and the 53' trailer is by Athearn. The SP box car wouldn't be that clean in reality.

The small details are a very important aspect of the model. Note the canal wall. The street lighting and signals are by Walthers Cornerstone. The signal bridge is scrathbuilt from plastic parts.

The 'Bandit' pulls and empty box car from the mill after being unloaded. It would have brought in scrap paper or paper pulp. The model is an Atlas ACF box car and I like the sliding door feature. I must also state that there is a LACK of Plug Door box cars of the standard size!! Hint Hint!! The road surface will have suitable road markings added soon.

1548 idles on the Chemical spur bewteen duties.

post-1116-12585402259143_thumb.jpg

post-1116-12585403783795_thumb.jpg

post-1116-12585404053769_thumb.jpg

post-1116-1258540431803_thumb.jpg

post-1116-12585404525489_thumb.jpg

post-1116-12585404759357_thumb.jpg

post-1116-12585405034475_thumb.jpg

post-1116-12585405794875_thumb.jpg

post-1116-12585406311104_thumb.jpg

It's looking good, I particularly like the scratchbuilt electricity transmission tower, I recall my boss once saying that very large structures like that are a feature of overhead line routes in the Midwest and Canada.

When are you next at an exhibition?

Nick

• 1 month later...

Just a note to say that things have slowed up over the Christmas and New Year. Hope to get some more work done in the New Year before the next exhibition.

Steve is working on those power supply masts that take the cables across the canal.

My MP15AC sound project is still in the planning stage! (Just haven't got round to buying the bits yet!)

• 2 months later...

Exhibition Update

We will be exhibiting the Menasha layout at the Nottingham show this weekend (March 20th and 21st) so we hope as many of you can make it as possible. There will be much to see and plenty to entertain the punter. There are three sound fitted locos in use (my two MP15ACs and a WC FP45), the swing bridge is now fulling motorised and working, there is street lighting and plenty to discuss.

We aim to run three freight trains every hour or so. These are the Menasha local serving the canal yard and industries, the Banta Turn which passes through and works industries 'off line', and the Manitowoc Turn which ships grain to a large Malting plant on the coast (and sometimes has miscelaneous cars for the Hilbert Turn). It should be very busy and very entertaining.

Hope you have a good show guys - i'll not be at Nottingham but i'll be very interested in catching up with it at some point in the future.

I've also been working on updating some older (1970s) boxcars to modern condition, must post some pics - picking up on a point from an earlier post:

I must also state that there is a LACK of Plug Door box cars of the standard size!! Hint Hint!!

There's a few "standard height" 50' plug door cars out there suitable for "modern" modellers, and sticking to more recent models with "stand off" grabs and so on:

Athearn does/has done:

PC&F 50' plug door cars (several door sizes/configurations) - these are ex Genesis models

FMC 50' plug door cars - upgraded former Roundhouse models

Evans double plug door cars - ex Details West models

Atlas does the Evans 52' double door box (same prototype as the Athearn DPD box, the Atlas is slightly finer and more accurate dimensionally, but the Athearn comes in more paint jobs!)

Walthers (Proto 1000) does NSC "Newsprint" boxcars which aren't bad models:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/920-37153

If you don't mind living with or replacing a few moulded-on grabs, then Accurail:

1 - does a plug door option for their ACF 50' boxcar - http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ART/5600/5617_1.JPG

2 - does a plug door version of their welded/no roof walk 50' boxcar http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ART/5800/5813.JPG

• 3 months later...

Lovely stuff (and beautiful photos)! So sorry to hear of YankeeRailroader's untimely death.

Is a trackplan available for this layout? I realize that it is probably simple but it helps to put the photos in situ - if you know what I mean.

Best, Pete.

Bill will be missed but not forgotten. The impetus he brought to Menasha was a major factor in making sure we met our exhibition deadlines. His photos flatter our modelling and created interest in the layout. This thread stands as a memorial to him.

The attached plan should help to place the photos. Our next exhibition appearance will be at Leeds at the end of October.

Martin.

post-3560-127766105238_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

After a successful Leeds Exhibition the Team have been “taking it easy†for a 4 months working on our own projects plus detailing items and preparing rolling stock for the Menasha in anticipation of a busy 2011 Exhibition Diary. Last weekend we planned to have a running session and identify further areas for work in advance of our first exhibition, Sheffield on 2nd and 3rd of April.

However, our plans changed slightly after a phone call amended a deadline which we thought would be towards the end of March!

Therefore after the layout had been moved on Friday night we embarked on a 8 hour detailing session on Saturday with 7 hours on Sunday – no doubt Bill (Yankee Railroader) would have been proud of us. You could tell we were grafting as there wasn’t much being said. Just a short break for lunch and the odd tea break!

Yesterday afternoon we reflected on what the 5 of us had achieved we were all fairly pleased. We added switch stands, derails, crossbucks, road signs, weathered a lot of concrete and wood, added some more vegetation and trees, as well as resurfacing the roads and making sure that we had all our figures and vehicles in the right places.

Unfortunately there wasn’t much time for running trains although I did manage to tweak some of my locos and stock, including getting a Soundtraxx Tsunami fitted SD45 to multi with a standard decoder fitted loco – OK I used a new Soundtraxx decoder. Also I tested my freshly repainted RS 4, again with a Tsunami decoder, around the mill. This layout is also fairly raucous.

There is still some more work to do in the next week. It’s a shame that I can’t be there to help out but I am sure that Charlie’s new trees, in full Fall colours and Roger’s sky will look excellent! The canal should also get a fresh coat of varnish. We also may get the electricity poles strung. Martin also has prepared a long list for us to work through over the next 5 weeks.

So a big thanks to Martin, Mike, Steve and Josh for a ultra-productive weekend. Shame we didn’t run more trains…..

Dates for your diary to see Menasha for real are:

Sheffield - 2nd and 3rd April 2011

Derby - 14th and 15th May 2011

Warley – 19th and 20th November 2011

Wakefield RMS 50th Anniversary Show – 25th, 26th and 27th November 2011

[/font][/font]

post-4019-0-01120000-1298922288_thumb.jpg

post-4019-0-92921300-1298922306_thumb.jpg

post-4019-0-97031800-1298922324_thumb.jpg

post-4019-0-10521500-1298922347_thumb.jpg

post-4019-0-23066100-1298922364_thumb.jpg

Archived