The Far North Line

I was reading another thread...in The CAG about railways in the north of Scotland.

I have my own opinions (not so popular, I think, about the social need for railways)

then, today, I was reading intensely about the far north line and how the dyook (sorry about the spelling) wanted a private railway (and stations, and Hornby Locos named after him) for his own reasons, and he got his way.

Now, there is a debate about how to shortcut his line and create a straighter one and how the fact that his line made possible a (nationsaving?) line between Portsmouth and Orkney which would not have existed before him. I was wondering what people think about this sort of serendipidy (or was it foreknowledge) and what it means for the future of railways in general.

It is all Googleable in far north line and duke of sutherland private railway etc.

I would love to know what you all think about this.

Stockie

Well, as someone who lives about a quarter of a mile from it, and within sound (but not sight), I do know that there has been considerable pressure to rail-bridge the Dornoch Firth, which would save a long trip around it via Bonar Bridge. Unfortunately it is never going to happen - there is no industry, few people, and no possibility of the line ever making a profit. The Highland Region is an area bigger than Belgium, the AVERAGE population is 9 per square kilometre, and many parts have a population density of less than one person per square kilometre. Having driven the road many times I can assure you that driving between Lairg and Durness, you drive in the hope that, at certain times of the year, you don't break down - you'll be in for a long wait for a lift, or a long walk to find somewhere that has a phone! The entire western side of Northern Scotland between Kyle and Thurso has NO railway whatsoever - it would be an insurmountable task to build one even if there was a need for it

I understand what you are saying here Shortliner (and I think your location is fortunate or well-chosen) but The Far North Line had a significant strategic necessity during both world wars (to transport troops from Orkney to Portsmouth). It would not have been completed without the personal wealth and whim of the Duke of Sutherland. Has Warren Buffet bought a huge US railway for equivalent reasons? Will it not soon become strategically important to allow universal access to St Pancras to join with the European Railway Network? Are we not all equal after all?

I am interested in the lines which have survived despite their apparent financial liability and not only for modelling reasons (they are often great as models because of this...like dare I say, the S&D, or the Killin branch), but does anyone know what the contribution of tourist steam trains is to the Mallaig line, for example?. I would love to know those sort of figures because there ain't many herrings landed there anymore.

Anyway I was delighted to see photos of the Duke of Sutherland's private loco and coach travelling the 700+ miles to the Bluebell Railway for preservation.

Stockie

They eventually went a lot further than that, Stockie - Dunrobin photos.

Ah yes, I had a ride on her back in the late 60s; at the time I was a little miffed that their Shay wasn't in steam that day, but looking back I'm glad I had the chance to see Dunrobin (complete with royal signature inside the cab) and her coach, which at that time was in urgent need of a complete refit.

To return to topic, it seems to me that over the years there has been a long and worthy tradition in the UK of local people - sometimes bigwigs, sometimes just ordinary people who wanted to do a good turn for their locality - funding a whole host of useful community ventures, including branch-lines, schools, hospitals and so on. And over the years, these locally-funded blessings have been taken over in the interests of 'efficiency' by ever-larger outside bodies, which have at last closed down the branch-lines, schools, hospitals and whatever and sold off their assets.

So at the end of the day the local communities have lost whatever it was that they actually paid for, and are right back to square one. As a way of taking local wealth and using it for the benefit of larger places far away this is right up there with highway robbery. :angry:

Archived