Cayton Bay - A Layout inspired by the buildings at Bridlington.

Hello everyone.

A good friend at the Hessle Model Railway Group, (New club thread to be started shortly), Alan is constructing a representation of the Bridlington station buildings. Our new layout, whilst not actually Bridlington, is using some of the local buildings to form the new layout.

I hasten to add that this is not my work, so please don't take it as mine although, I am and will continue to be amazed at the skill and effort that Alan is putting into this. In my opinion, the model is fantastic!

I will post a few pictures as the model goes along and hopefully, Alan will give me a few pearls of wisdom so as I can keep you all informed of how he is making the model.

But for now,

Cheers.

Sean.

post-6920-12598734305442_thumb.jpg

A collage of the real thing with Mali to the edge.

post-6920-12598735348662_thumb.jpg

A start on the buildings adjacent to the Scarborough lines.

post-6920-1259873613812_thumb.jpg

The other side of the buildings above.

post-6920-12598736653825_thumb.jpg

The station buffet.

post-6920-12598737175289_thumb.jpg

The main entrance.

post-6920-12598737679893_thumb.jpg

Work continues on the buffet.

post-6920-12598738487672_thumb.jpg

Work continues on the offices.

post-6920-12598739356387_thumb.jpg

And the most important part, the buffet itself!

Hi Sean,

Thanks for posting, it was quite a few years ago now that i built Bridlington signal box complete with interior, yes, all those windows and levers seemed never ending at the time.

I will follow your progress as you construct the buildings and you are making a good job of it from what i can see.

If you want to see the signal box you will find it on my blog under Gravy Train portfolio.

cheers

Peter

Hi Peter.

Thanks for your comments. I passed them on to Alan and he thanks you for posting.

Ironically, I used to work Bridlington South Signal Box and was able to measure it up one day at work, so I too have a model of this large building. I also remember the many hours spent doing the window frames, but did not manage to add all those levers.

The lads building the layout want to use the box, but I'm a purist, so say its too big for our needs. As a result, I am drawing out Quay Crossing which used to be at the North of the station and was my first posting on the railways. This will be far more suitable for our needs and I'm looking forward to starting the build.

There will be some more pictures very soon as Alan progresses with the station buildings apace!

Cheers for now.

Sean.

Hi all.

Here's a few more pictures as work progresses. Alan is making great headway in my opinion and the station is beginning to look like a great representation of the real thing.

I've taken on the task of building the layouts signal box and whilst most of the members who are involved in the layout construction feel that Bridlington South looks good on the layout, I am going to build Bridlington's other box, Quay Crossing as, sizewise, it's more appropriate and it was the first box I worked whilst on the railway.

I'll post a few pictures as work progresses, but for the moment, it's just at the drawing stage.

Anyhow, here's the pictures of the staion.

Cheers.

Sean.

post-6920-12614040532311_thumb.jpg

The buffet side offices from the concourse side.

post-6920-12614042441065_thumb.jpg

Another view as above but from the track side.

post-6920-12614042835327_thumb.jpg

The buffet area and main station entrance.

Hi Sean,

That looks like Bridlington to me! I spent many hours there waiting in the old ticket collector's hut on Platform 4 (before it was demolished) for my Scarborough train. When will the model be set?

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Chris.

It will be set some point from the 40's to the 70's, encompassing most members stock periods. As a club layout it obviously needs to be flexible.

I remember that ticket box too and the one on platform 5. I used to go train spotting during the 80's and was made most welcome by the Schofield brothers who used to work on the station. Dunno what became of them, but they'd always have a pot of tea on!

Happy days.

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean,

I know you have said that the layout will utilise some of the buildings from Bridlington and very good they look. Will this layout also incorporate some of those McKenzie and Holland signal bridges which stood at Bridlington until well into BR days?

Cheers

Mike

Will this layout also incorporate some of those McKenzie and Holland signal bridges which stood at Bridlington until well into BR days?

Hi Mike & Sean,

Not Brid I know, but something along the lines of this would look fab on any model (working of course). This is the McKenzie and Holland gantry at Scarborough (Falsgrave).

Photo is 158812 + 158803 on the Scarborough to Liverpool LS (March 2005) - Copyright Chris Shutt

Cheers,

Chris.

post-6842-12615130052989_thumb.jpg

Hi Sean - with regard to the signals I will be quite willing to......................................................................................................................show you how to build them!!!

ey up looks like burnt finger job to me .i,ll help by blowing on your fingers , :unsure:

Hi all.

Hmmmn, Mckenzie and Holland signal bridges. Now that would be nice to have one or two of them........

I reckon I might let Mike show me how its done although I'm not too confident about how it'll turn out. Of course, if any of the readers out there in RMweb land were to offer to build a couple, I'm sure they would be greatly received...... Wu ha haa!

Chris.

How strange a world we live in. I must be mellowing with age as I found myself mildly interested to see a 6 car 158 under the Falsgrave gantry? Bizarre. I remember the days of the big diesels though and so, just to keep the topic going in between pics of the model, I'll see your 158 and raise you a western.

Cheers for now.

Sean.

post-6920-12617640420896_thumb.jpg

I'll see your 158 and raise you a western.

Hi Sean,

Happy Christmas. I would have liked to see the Western at Scarborough - but never mind. I can give you a Deltic though!

Cheers,

Chris.

P.S. Sorry for this diversion, back to the station buildings now please.

post-6842-12617667745524_thumb.jpg

Hi Sean,

Happy Christmas. I would have liked to see the Western at Scarborough - but never mind. I can give you a Deltic though!

Cheers,

Chris.

P.S. Sorry for this diversion, back to the station buildings now please.

Don't worry about the diversions, its all interesting stuff. Maybe someone can send me a picture of the Western at Brid (as I didn't manage a good shot).

I think you win "top trumps" though in my book. I'll start a fight here I'm sure, but I'd have a Deltic above a Western any day.

Cheers,

Sean.

Hi Sean,

I do have some Peaks at Scarborough, although they were not taken by me and cannot post them.

I found some shots of Bridlington Station on the interweb today, and thought you might be interested in the link.

Cheers,

Chris

Some lovely and interesting pictures there Chris. I would encourage everyone to have a look at this link. I especially liked the ones of Filey Holiday Camp.

Cheers.

Sean.

• 1 year later...

Hi all.

Hmmmn, I checked the date of my last post on this thread and was suprised to see it was December 2009! :unsure:

Since we at the HMRG only meet once a week, progress has been understandably slow on Bridlingtons buildings, however, Alan's been working hard and below you should find some pictures of progress so far.....

Those who know the station will be able to use the first picture of the buffet entrance as a guide for the rest of the pictures. Those who don't know the station, well, enjoy the modelling.

post-6920-0-83888200-1296179442_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-75593000-1296179418_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-93380000-1296179420_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-54134700-1296179424_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-85821000-1296179426_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-00305200-1296179429_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-19931800-1296179431_thumb.jpg

I've also been a little self indulgent here too and decided to have a go at Quay Crossing which was the smaller signal box to the North of the station and guarded the passage of trains over Quay Road. it was demolished around 1998, but is similar in construction to Goole box and so with the use of pictures, and reference to Goole box, I think I've got the measurements about right. The pictures should speak for themselves.

post-6920-0-60456300-1296179434_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-66012800-1296179436_thumb.jpg

post-6920-0-94074100-1296179439_thumb.jpg

So. Thats progress so far. See you all again in about a year or so with another update.....B)

Cheers.

Sean.

About time Sean ;). The buildings are looking really nice. When you come to do the other side, don't forget those wonderful wooden "pedestrian islands" (don't know how else to describe them) outside the booking office window.

Lovely stuff! and I for one hope that it is not too long before there is more progress.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Chris.

I'll pass that on to Alan, although I'm sure he will be modelling these very distinctive items.

It's amazing how comments like that can stir memories. Those wooden islands always signified the start of a day out in York, or later in my teens, further afield as tickets were purchased for said day out.

Cheers.

Sean.

I'm full of admiration for this model and enjoying this thread. I believe you are building up the window frames in Microstrip or similar, do you have any more detailed pictures of 'how', please? Also, is there any significance in the bottle of 'Kleer' next to your cutting mat in this context?

Doug

I'm full of admiration for this model and enjoying this thread. I believe you are building up the window frames in Microstrip or similar, do you have any more detailed pictures of 'how', please? Also, is there any significance in the bottle of 'Kleer' next to your cutting mat in this context?

Doug

Hi Doug.

Youre quite right. Alan uses microstrip for his windows, (I am fortunate and have found some printed frames exactly the right size for the signal box). The "Kleer" is used to secure the frame to the glass. It dries clear and flat and is a great adhesive, although I believe the formula has recently changed and the newer stuff is slightly brown.....

I'll try take some more pictures as work progresses, but all the windows for this side are done now, so I'll have to get my whip out and get Alan to crack on with the booking office side.

Cheers.

Sean.

Archived