Nell's Bridge

Jack

70's WR Industrial OO - 2007 Comp Entry

Well, I thought I'd start a new thread on this. I'm in the process of getting all the bits together to build a new fiddle yard. The old one isn't really useable as its only 2' long and single track. There wasn't much room for anything else in the competition, but now thats past its time to build a workable version.

The plan is to build a hinged fiddle yard which folds over the layout and forms a protective box. Once thats done it'll be time to get back on with the scenry. I was unhappy with my greenery and with the signal box, so they'll be the first to go. Next it'll be a photo backscene, then finish the dairy buildings and create a new building to replace the signal cabin. All points will be lever operated. The wagon hiding the motor for the oil siding will need to be moved as its too close to the running line. The oil siding will also need a make-over ...

... so not much to do then unsure.gif

To save looking back at the old forum I'll re-post a few piccies here ...

edit: Title Changes

post-7154-12604668588116_thumb.jpgpost-7154-12604667550034_thumb.jpg

post-7154-12604668016034_thumb.jpg

post-7154-12604668272638_thumb.jpg

post-7154-12604668588116_thumb.jpg

Whats not shown is the update to the DCC control box (to include a digital ammeter) or the revisions to the wiring (beefed up wire and less of it). When I get underway with the fiddle yard I'll piccie the controller too.

Thanks Neil.

I have a feeling that as soon as the new fiddle yard is built and the track wired up everything else will stop for a while! Even with a 2' fiddle yard it is quite easy to loose oneself for an hour or three.

Thanks Neil.

I have a feeling that as soon as the new fiddle yard is built and the track wired up everything else will stop for a while! Even with a 2' fiddle yard it is quite easy to loose oneself for an hour or three.

totally agree, pilot road box file gives me many hours ...erm testing?  :D

Cheers Martin :D

... have just been told off for building the extension boards in the dining room coz the garage is too cold ... oh how i miss the heated cellar we had in Germany, it was so much better on our marriage :unsure:

• 10 months later...

Ok, its been nearly a year ... :unsure:

Having been inspired by John's Neo-whatsit magnets Nell's bridge is back out again from its dusty haunt. My plan is to get the fiddleyard finished over the next week or so, then get cracking on finishing the scenery. I'm still uncertain as to whether it would be a good idea to replace the Lenz point decoder with some analogue switches. I'll mull that one over as i build the rest of the fiddle yard ...

• 7 months later...

Progress!

Over the past few months, in parallel to building the O Gauge Module, I have been building a new fiddle yard for Nell's Bridge. The original layout was designed to fit within the 6 square feet challenge of 2007. This meant continuing to use the original 2' long fiddle yard which proved to be inadequate in size.

I also wanted the layout to be well protected from dust and frequent moves. So the new fiddle yard is an experiement in hinged boards. It is permanently connected via 4 brass hinges and folds over to form a secure lid and box when not in use. The whole thing has been made from 6mm birch ply. It isn't as strong as I would have liked, but I was very conscious of keeping the weight down to a managable amount.

The next job will be to fit some new control panels. Whilst DCC has proved quite interesting, I have grown tired of the number of button pushes involved in changing points. I'm therefore going to ditch the Lenz LS150 in favour of some traditional switches and a CDU. Once that is in, I will be track laying in the fiddle yard.

I'm also planning to fit a photo backscene and completely re-do all the green stuff which didn't really come together properly in 2007 ...

... anyway, on with some update pics ...

post-7154-0-71338200-1306317437_thumb.jpg

post-7154-0-65434900-1306317452_thumb.jpg

post-7154-0-50349600-1306317465_thumb.jpg

post-7154-0-31957400-1306317480_thumb.jpg

Really neat answer to the ever-present dust. Of course over here we also have to try to keep out the spiders, cockroaches, ants, small lizards and anything else that likes living under the house with us!!! I have been fitting dust covers to all my modules to try to minimise cleaning which I know will be impossible given that half of the layout on each board is impossible to reach!

More photos please when you tidy up the greenery.

Thanks.

I also have my mum on the case and the layout will soon have its own protective material bag with velcro lid ...

... i'm probably going to have to wait a fortnight for the panels though, but after that I hope to start making some speedy progress.

• 4 weeks later...

The main (2007) board has no been completely re-wired ... hopefully post some pics over the next few days.

The reason for this? To remove the Lenz point decoder as I found point changing far easier with centre off switches. I think in future i'll stick with this method. There was nothing wrong with the Lenz decoder, but i kept having to read the throttle manual every time i wanted to play trains.

I have also added extra power feeds to the point blades as i was getting board of poor connections. The points no longer rely on the blades making contact for any electrical connection.

I have also added extra power feeds to the point blades as i was getting board of poor connections. The points no longer rely on the blades making contact for any electrical connection.

You live and learn ;)

You live and learn ;)

Yup! I didn't notice the contact problem at first because the locos that normally grace Nell's Bridge are all bogie diesels with all wheel pickup ... it wasn't until Thomas came along i found the problem!! :blink:

As promised, a few pics of the re-wiring, not quite as neat as some on here, but a whole load better than my previous attempt. Adding traditionally controlled points as made a big difference to the way the layout operates ...

post-7154-0-96766400-1308572030_thumb.jpg

post-7154-0-79777000-1308572099_thumb.jpg

... and last, but by no means least, mum's contribution! This is actually a bag with velcro lid designed to keep all but the most stubbon of dust and chocolate coated fingers away from the layout.

post-7154-0-21076000-1308572130_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hurrah! The re-wiring is now complete, as is the fiddle yard. After 2 years of phaff, I now have a working layout again. Although the plan is now to get on with the O gauge layout, I must resist the temptation to sit back and play trains ...

... two shots of the fiddle yard.

post-7154-0-35139300-1310579707_thumb.jpg

post-7154-0-39772500-1310579755_thumb.jpg

... including the newly adjusted control box. This is a custom box with switchable DCC (Lenz Set 100), DC (KPC) and RR Ammeter. It allows me to change the layout from DCC to DC at the flick of a switch ... very useful when you only have a few chipped locos.

post-7154-0-25103000-1310579785_thumb.jpg

The wiring for the 3-way. I've used Peco double microswitches which not only control the frog, but also the positive rail going to the fiddle yard sidings. The is especially useful for the cassette as I hate those nasty shocks :cry:

post-7154-0-57119700-1310579798_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Sadly the little monster (6mths today!) has put both layouts on pause ... I tried leaving him in the living room with some beer and pizza, but apparently he called Esther ... I knew I should have left better quality beer for him ;)

Get you're layout topic going then!!

Thanks for the comment.

It is a fun little layout to operate, although it does require a reasonably big fiddly yard. The folding one I have added is 4' long, although replacing the 3-way with a straight cassette would reduce that to about 2-3'.

I still have big plans to revamp the scenery, although they may now take longer ...

• 8 months later...

The bag has been very good for keeping the dust off. Sadly both layouts are still in storage and are likely to remain that way until atleast February next year.

I have plans for Nell's Bridge, including a photo backscene and re-working of the greenery. Atm it would be nice to get it out and just play trains tho! Roll on March ...

Archived