SCL 635297

CraigZ

This 50' cushioned underframe Pullman Standard PS-1 car started life as an Kadee car cobbled up from bits from several other cars to get the correct prototype. The body shell came from one car, the trucks from another, the underframe from a third. Assembled, painted gloss black and then lettered using Microscale 87-06 SCL Freight Cars, 87-460 Gothic yellow freight car data, and the ACI/Kar Trak label from small decal supplier called Highball Graphics. The effort that went into collecting the various bits was due to the specific nature of the prototype being an ex Atlantic Coast Line car (specifically ex ACL 35297). The ACL had PS put a reinforcing weld bead on the side sills where they slope upward to the corner steps - said bead is not visible in the photo. Also, the ACL specified in most cases special trucks that have retaining rods under the bearings...this truck and special body were never available before but now Kadee makes them both. Gathering all the bits was as much work as the car itself given as Kadee doesn't sell that body shell separately yet so it took some time to scrounge one up. So paint, decals and sealing with a low gloss finish yielded this car. Compared to the prototype photo I chose a different road number, and added the ACI label and COTS panel appropriate for my modeling era. It needs weathering too :blink:

post-751-12623597881877_thumb.jpg

Prototype photo from my friend Warren Calloway

post-751-12623599399366_thumb.jpg

Still learning my way 'round the new forum...didn't realize there were two separate forums for proto and modeling :huh: :blush:

Very nice work indeed! :icon_cool:

Good thing you changed the number from Warren photo just in case Kadee ever gets around to doing this car.

I thought I'd be able to ping you on that ACI label, but it looks like you got that right too! ;)

ACIforSCL635297.jpg

I have an unused 87-06. I guess that's one decal set I ought to treat well, since it's been permanently retired?

Archived