Rederring Goes Live

Savoyard

• RMweb Gold

Last Friday (15th January 2010) I was asked what stage was I at with my small terminal station layout 'Rederring', I said it needs about a months work on it at least! I was asked could it be ready for that coming Sunday (17th Jan) as the Blackburn Carers Exhibition had a problem as their layout had failed, luckily I had sorted out the wiring so I said with a little intense work it could be in a presentable state for Sunday but not complete.

So 'Rederring' had it's first exhibition showing and here are a few pictures from the day:-

post-6784-12639971828466_thumb.jpg

post-6784-12639971874944_thumb.jpg

post-6784-12639971918264_thumb.jpg

post-6784-12639971970785_thumb.jpg

post-6784-12639972033874_thumb.jpg

post-6784-12639972081859_thumb.jpg

post-6784-12639972132454_thumb.jpg

post-6784-12639972177694_thumb.jpg

post-6784-12639972235426_thumb.jpg

post-6784-12639972284011_thumb.jpg

post-6784-12639972782028_thumb.jpg

post-6784-12639972832032_thumb.jpg

post-6784-12639972891951_thumb.jpg

It was very much a good practice run and I learnt alot on the day, for instance the wires were too loose in areas and got caught when the boards were being moved, so I spent the last two nights completly redoing the wiring on both boards. I will also make some covers to protect the wiring when in transit.

Some bits of scenery got damaged in the process of being moved and I will think of ways of protecting them in future.

Overall even though at times it got frustrating with little problems it eventually settled down to an enjoyable and fun day but time ran out just when I was getting into doing some shunting.

I used TouchCab and people were amazed at the trains being controlled by the iPhone.

Regards,

Peter

Hi

That looks realy great

just 2 questions ( not critisisum just ?)

do you realy operate this small terminal with large tender units

if so were do they turn ?

would have thought tanks would have served here ?

TouchCab/ iPhone never seen this anywere ?

rgds

• RMweb Gold

Having rushed it to get it ready for last Sunday's exhibition it needs some touching up in places, for instance I forgot to run a knife down the edge of the wall at the sides of the houses on the board join so when I split the boards some of the paving cracked.

I'm not happy with some of the colouring, especially on the goods yard but I need something quick for Sunday so I used what I had to hand. Weathering will follow shortly. I approached the scenery with fear and dread as I know what looks good when I see layouts at an exhibition but didn't know how to achieve a realistic looking landscape, so a lot of studying and lots of trial and error but the effort is rewarding. I heard it say somewhere, it may have been on the Jame's May program that building a model layout is 3D Art, and art was not my forte, I was never any good at drawing or painting unless it was a bus or tram, trains have come late in life.

It is a generic layout and isn't based on any particular place but the time period is 60s/70s, so BR Green and Blue. The thought is with some simple changes I could have a different operating theme and I will try and keep to this when running the layout, but it is meant to be fun so I will have some artistic licence occasionally, and so the occasional unusual item may appear like large tender units, and if I need justication it must be Wakes Week and anything could happen! Besides 'Tornado' has appeared on the the layout and that is totally out of period, but there is a blue police box around and when that appears all sorts of strange things can happen!

My ultimate excuse for any strange operation is that the layout is called 'Rederring' which is the Cornish fishing village in Gilbert and Sullivan's operetta 'Ruddigore', and Rederring was a play on the words 'Red Herring'! So I'll say no more!

With regards to TouchCab I have done a couple of video's on YouTube using TouchCab

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7iny5jf3QHk

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7iny5jf3QHk

There is also some information on RMWeb3 which you may like to look up when you are able to access it again.

With regards to road vehicles they will be reduced, as I have already said this is my first stab and it is a learning curve. I also intend to change the road vehicles at regular intervals as I find whilst I can't make the vehicles move (yet!) I think there should be changes and when quiet there are quiet periods at exhibitions I will take the opportunity to change them.

Thanks for all your comments, they are appreciated. Now to look at the weathering on Peter Street! :lol:

Peter

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Rederring had it's second outing this last weekend (Sat 20th/Sun 21st Feb) at the Workington Model Rail Exhibition and won 'The Jim Harkness Memorial Shield' presented by the Chairman to the layout or display which he judges most derserving, so a nice finish to a great weekend.

I used my new colour ECoS and TouchCab and it created quite a bit of interest. One member of the club had an iPhone, I told him to download 'TouchCab Lite' and gave him the URL and he was then controlling a loco on the layout.

Here are a selection of pictures from the weekend.

post-6784-126695160953_thumb.jpg

post-6784-126695164993_thumb.jpg

post-6784-126695168383_thumb.jpg

post-6784-126695172257_thumb.jpg

post-6784-126695176046_thumb.jpg

post-6784-12669517713_thumb.jpg

post-6784-126695198722_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

'The Jim Harkness Memorial Sheild' Is a new award, to be awarded each year, in memory of the trust's Health & Safety Officer who died of cancer earlier this year. It is presented by the Chairman to the layout or display which he judges to be most deserving.

post-6784-126712645841_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to say what a fantastic layout and a deserving winner of a trophy in my opinion. Layouts are never finished and in time you can always make changes, but remember its your layout and you can run what you like on it. After all you've won a trophy and regardless of road vehicles or rolling stock, its a colourful and entertaining layout to view and that's what captures the public's interest at the end of the day. What's more important is that it gives you enjoyment.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Paul (aka Intercity 125)

A great little layout Peter and fully deserving of the award. I must admit that my first thoughts after seeing the introductory photographs were along the lines of "that's a busy road..!" but in the later photographs it then seems like I've dropped by during a lull in the days activities. I guess you can ring the changes as and when you please. As for your choice of stock I am in full support of your decision to run what you like within reason of course. Running tender first was and still is a common occurrence - even Tornado can be seen operating that way at times. Try as we might to reproduce things as prototypical as we can we must never lose sight of the fact that these are simply model locomotives and that it's all done for our own entertainment and enjoyment and hopefully that of others too. This is clearly an enjoyable activity for you and I've certainly enjoyed reading about and seeing what you have achieved. Keep up the great work!

Mick

Guest tony graham

Rederring had it's second outing this last weekend (Sat 20th/Sun 21st Feb) at the Workington Model Rail Exhibition and won 'The Jim Harkness Memorial Shield' presented by the Chairman to the layout or display which he judges most derserving, so a nice finish to a great weekend.

I used my new colour ECoS and TouchCab and it created quite a bit of interest. One member of the club had an iPhone, I told him to download 'TouchCab Lite' and gave him the URL and he was then controlling a loco on the layout.

And so easy it was,

Many thanks for letting me have a go, I was amazed at how easy it was to control and I think you may have set a seed in my head.

Anyway, it was nice to catch up with you again at the Glasgow show today (Friday) Hope to see you about at other shows, and if your at Workington this year I will be sure to pop along and say 'Hi'

Many kind regards

Tony.

• RMweb Gold

Paul, Mick and Tony Thanks for your comments.

I reduced the number of cars and it looked a lot better, I was going to add some figures before the exhibition started but we had a debate and rushing it could end up looking too static so I will give it some thought before it's next showing.

The aim of the layout was to show how easy DCC can be to use not just the locos but points and signals and using the ECoS and TouchCab showed how easily this can be achieved and makes operating a layout even more fun. At one point one of the lads went to the front of the layout to operate it, making some wonder who was controlling it as it looked like he was just texting!

A few years ago I was impressed by the OO Kirkby Stephen layout and the way one of the members marshalled the goods yard with the help of Kadees, so I had to do the same with Rederring. I know they are many arguements for and against Kadees, but they are easy to fit comapared with S&W, and if fitted to correctly require very little or no hand of god, which I think detracts from the operation. I have just got to think of away of using DCC to uncouple locos. I wonder whether memory wire could be used! My mind is racing with ideas now.

One thing I did realise was how little stock you need to have a fun time and even though I reduced the amout of stock I took by half to Workington compared with Blackburn I could reduced it even further.

Tony, glad you enjoyed being able to hijack a loco with your iPhone and good to catch up at Glasgow.

Regards,

Peter

Congratulations on winning that trophy.....very well deserved.

Either on this forum or the Yahoo N gauge group, one of the members has managed to get an automatic uncoupler fitted into an N gauge loco DCC controlled. Most impressive.

Give me a holl if you can't find it and I'll have a troll around for you.

Regards

Colin

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have just uploaded some new pictures of the layout at the Tottington Vintage Extravaganza yesterday (25th April 2010).

Tottington Vintage Extravaganza 2010

I have done more work on the scenery but I have also changed the backscene. This is a homemade backscene, I took several shots on the hills near Delph in Saddleworth and then used PanoramaStudio 2 to produce the panorama, I was able to adjust the printed output to fit the space required. Here is a shot of the layout produced using the software.

post-6784-127231306381_thumb.jpg

Also something strange happened in the back garden of one of the railway cottages!

post-6784-127231316545_thumb.jpg

post-6784-127231325889_thumb.jpg

Who knows what happened!!

Regards,

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete,

I was asked on Sunday if I could take it to a Model Open Day at the Fire Station Museum in Rochdale this coming Sunday, I am waiting for details.

It is booked so far for the following:-

Hartlepool (10th/11th July 2010)

Leigh (25th/26th September)

LYDCC Rawtenstall (30th/31st October 2010)

Workington (20th/21st November 2010)

Peter

• RMweb Gold

I have just had the vist to the Model Makers Day at the Rochdale Fire Museum confirmed for this Sunday (2nd May 2010).

It is open to the public between 1000 & 1600. Besides Rederring there will be the LYDCC jumior members layout 'Nodnol' and a number of other layouts from Heywood MRG.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Good to hear from you and thanks for your comments. I have got an interior kit for the signalbox which I will get round to doing one day, I suppose I should add a kilted signalman! :D

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Here are a few pictures from the Rochdale Fire Museum Modelmakers Day on Sunday:-

post-6784-127301122669_thumb.jpg

post-6784-127301125852_thumb.jpg

post-6784-127301129378_thumb.jpg

post-6784-127301131455_thumb.jpg

post-6784-127301134439_thumb.jpg

post-6784-127301136259_thumb.jpg

I have also updated the Rederring Galleries on the LYDCC website, the first two pages show how the layout evolved over the last year.

Early Days Part 1

Early Days Part 2

Blackburn Carers Exhibition January 2010

Workington Exhibition February 2010

Tottington Vintage Extravaganza April 2010

Rochdale Fire Museum Modelmakers Day May 2010

Peter

Archived