Hornby turntable for DCC

I am looking to buy a Hornby Electric turntable, but am a little confused by the "conversion" process - I have seen the instructions issued by Hornby, but I have also seen comment that these may not give satisfactory results.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Keith

I am looking to buy a Hornby Electric turntable, but am a little confused by the "conversion" process - I have seen the instructions issued by Hornby, but I have also seen comment that these may not give satisfactory results.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Keith

Keith,

May I suggest you think very carefully about buying one of these. I have returned two examples to the supplier and I do not consider that they are fit for purpose. Turntables are only really needed for steam locos - particularly those with a tender yet those are likely to give trouble on this piece of equipment. The first unit I returned was, I think, defective and it was replaced; the second appeared to work OK until I managed to get it to operate both clockwise and anti-clockwise. The allignment of the bridge with the spurs could not be made accurately enough in both directions - ie if alligned correctly one way, it was about 0.5mm out in the other because of the built-in tolerance and my Britannia always derailed, eventually causing damage to itself and the handrails on the turntable bridge. I may have got away with the misallignment if I could have had completely straight approaches to each spur but I did not have the space to permit this. Add that, in operation, the bridge lurches from one spur to the next in a most unprototypical fashion and that the motor emits the most frightful din and I decided I was better off with a reverse loop in the layout on which I can turn a whole train around! You will also see that the spurs rise steeply from base level to bridge; you will need to ensure that the turntable is let into the baseboard so that the approaches are dead level or the 4-6-2s will not make transition from one level to the next.

I am sorry that this does not answer your question (and also I apologise if I appear to be casting a slur on Hornby) but please be sure what you are buying before even considering making it operate by DCC. Actually, I do not see the point of operating it by DCC as it is easy enough to do it through a DC connection.

Harold.

Thanks very much for that Harold.

I was originally thinking of using the Peco turntable which looked a great deal simpler, but was tempted by the idea that the Hornby version came "fully fitted"with motor etc. in light of you comments I think I will do a bit more research before I buy anything.

Thanks again.

Keith

Hello all

I have gone and purchased one of the Heljan turntables that I think is in HO gauge but is fine 00 gauge. The motorised turntable can be easily installed for DCC usage and I think was even designed for its use. It comes well packaged, and with a controlling device. The only thing you dont need is the overhead arm, that should be fixed across the Turntable bridge for the loading gauge. Without this mine looks very much at home. Impressively it even reverses the polarity of the engines as they are driven on and off the Turntable automatically, meaning that my sound engines rarely cut out, although theres the odd pause when they are turned, for a split second.

I would recommend this highly for anyone wanting a reliable piece of kit. Downside is that it is more expensive, but its worth every penny when the engine is driven on and turning all at the touch of some simple controls, that are able to be refined after consulting the clear manual that comes with it. If needed I can get picks of mine working...

Hi Black Hat.

Very interested to read your report - sounds like a good piece of kit. In my case I could not use a hand operated turntable as it was too far aaway from the controller and the Hornby one looked good on paper at a reasonable price. I shall probably do without one now (although I do have plans for a significant extension to my layout and could incorporate one in it) but will certainly look into the Heljan at that time.

Kind regards,

Harold

• 1 month later...

Hello Keith...

I am sorry for not sorting this out sooner. The Heljan turntable is a very nice peice of kit. The only problem Ive had, since i didnt mention any before, has been getting grains of ballast into the cog, which has then jammed it. Ive since removed the bridge of the turntable while the layout is constructed.

The turntable is long enough to accomodate a large locomotive, as seen here:

post-7347-126947128778_thumb.jpg

Power is suplied from an adaptor that then fits into the control box. This is then sent via a cable to the turntable under the layout as seen here:

post-7347-126947144526_thumb.jpg

The control box features wires from your DCC input and a seperate transformer to power the turntable bridge to rotate round. The wires are attached to the green plugs which fit in and then are screwed tight. No soldering is needed. The cable from the turntable is then attached. Seen below:

post-7347-126947156089_thumb.jpg

Finally, the turntable can be used to set its zero point and then be brought round and controlled so that points for access are logged and remembered. These are then set so that it only turns to these. A locomotive can drive on and remain powered, even in steam and sound, it remains on all the way round. The polarity of the DCC is reveresed by the control under the well of the turntable. Then when ready, the locomotive drives off its assigned road, forwards, just as it was to drive on.

The top of the control module is here:

post-7347-126947196221_thumb.jpg

Its a very nice piece of kit - highly recomended. The only problems Ive had is the ballast getting into the cogs. Turning the table and then lifting it to clear and clean them has solved it. The only thing you notice too is the occasional blip of silence as the turntable moves round. But to have it DCC set up and ready is brilliant and I only think the sound part is noticeable because of the power needed to maintain contact as its turned. Instructions are good too. It might seem expensive but its worth it....

Hello Keith...

I am sorry for not sorting this out sooner. The Heljan turntable is a very nice peice of kit. The only problem Ive had, since i didnt mention any before, has been getting grains of ballast into the cog, which has then jammed it. Ive since removed the bridge of the turntable while the layout is constructed.

The turntable is long enough to accomodate a large locomotive, as seen here:

post-7347-126947128778_thumb.jpg

Power is suplied from an adaptor that then fits into the control box. This is then sent via a cable to the turntable under the layout as seen here:

post-7347-126947144526_thumb.jpg

The control box features wires from your DCC input and a seperate transformer to power the turntable bridge to rotate round. The wires are attached to the green plugs which fit in and then are screwed tight. No soldering is needed. The cable from the turntable is then attached. Seen below:

post-7347-126947156089_thumb.jpg

Finally, the turntable can be used to set its zero point and then be brought round and controlled so that points for access are logged and remembered. These are then set so that it only turns to these. A locomotive can drive on and remain powered, even in steam and sound, it remains on all the way round. The polarity of the DCC is reveresed by the control under the well of the turntable. Then when ready, the locomotive drives off its assigned road, forwards, just as it was to drive on.

The top of the control module is here:

post-7347-126947196221_thumb.jpg

Its a very nice piece of kit - highly recomended. The only problems Ive had is the ballast getting into the cogs. Turning the table and then lifting it to clear and clean them has solved it. The only thing you notice too is the occasional blip of silence as the turntable moves round. But to have it DCC set up and ready is brilliant and I only think the sound part is noticeable because of the power needed to maintain contact as its turned. Instructions are good too. It might seem expensive but its worth it....

Hi David

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply with the photos and the details about operation etc.

I agree it really does look a great piece of kit and certainly a "must" for the layout I'm looking to build when we eventually move house - later this year I hope!

Thanks again.

Cheers

Keith

Hi David

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply with the photos and the details about operation etc.

I agree it really does look a great piece of kit and certainly a "must" for the layout I'm looking to build when we eventually move house - later this year I hope!

Thanks again.

Cheers

Keith

Keith,

is there the capability of operating this turntable by software such as RR&Co?

Regards,

John

Keith,

is there the capability of operating this turntable by software such as RR&Co?

Regards,

John

Hi John

Sorry, but I cant help with this one, maybe David can supply the answer. I'm still pretty much a novice with DCC - which is why I am glad of this forum!!

Cheers

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much for that Harold.

I was originally thinking of using the Peco turntable which looked a great deal simpler, but was tempted by the idea that the Hornby version came "fully fitted"with motor etc. in light of you comments I think I will do a bit more research before I buy anything.

Thanks again.

Keith

Hi Keith,With respect,have a look at my posting 'Table a La carte' re turntables , there is no quick fix if you want one that works accurately, many excellent 'looking' tables have been built, but accurate positioning is harder to achieve, regards and good hunting Beeman

Archived