Loksound SELECT problems using Aux 3 & 4

tractor_37260

Hi all

I'm having problems getting the Aux 3 & 4 outputs on a Loksound SELECT to work.  Using a Lokprogrammer I've tried to use F13 & F14 to control them, but I can't get them to work.

I've also noticed that the ESU select user manual edition 3 May 2012, states that only CV32 is used for indexed CV's, however when attempting to set F13 /14 on the Lokprogammer to control the outputs, both CV31 + CV32 are used ?  Default CV's numbers and settings are also different to what the decoder shows on the Lokprogrammer.

For example:

Front and rear lighting on F0 - the default according to the manual mapping table = Index CV32=2  / CV266= 1 - forward

Index CV32=2 / CV282 = 2 - reverse

Reading the decoder on the Lokprogrammer shows

front/rear lighting on F0 as -                             Index CV's CV31=16 / CV32=2      CV330= 1  forward

Index CV's CV31=16 / CV32=2      CV346= 2  reverse

The decoder is a 2014  - 21pin version. Everything works as it should, including the Aux 2 output which I got working ref the user manual diagram, apart from Aux 3 & 4 ??

Perhaps the decoder has been updated since the 2012 manual ? 

Any ideas/help appreciated

Regards

Ken

Hi all

I'm having problems getting the Aux 3 & 4 outputs on a Loksound SELECT to work.  Using a Lokprogrammer I've tried to use F13 & F14 to control them, but I can't get them to work.

I've also noticed that the ESU select user manual edition 3 May 2012, states that only CV32 is used for indexed CV's, however when attempting to set F13 /14 on the Lokprogammer to control the outputs, both CV31 + CV32 are used ?  Default CV's numbers and settings are also different to what the decoder shows on the Lokprogrammer.

For example:

Front and rear lighting on F0 - the default according to the manual mapping table = Index CV32=2  / CV266= 1 - forward

Index CV32=2 / CV282 = 2 - reverse

Reading the decoder on the Lokprogrammer shows

front/rear lighting on F0 as -                             Index CV's CV31=16 / CV32=2      CV330= 1  forward

Index CV's CV31=16 / CV32=2      CV346= 2  reverse

The decoder is a 2014  - 21pin version. Everything works as it should, including the Aux 2 output which I got working ref the user manual diagram, apart from Aux 3 & 4 ??

Perhaps the decoder has been updated since the 2012 manual ? 

Any ideas/help appreciated

Regards

Ken

Ken,

Is this a hardware problem? How are you trying to use Aux3 and Aux4?

Loksound 21 pin decoders have only 'Logic Level' output on Aux 3 and 4. This is very low current and reversed polarity (not exactly, but don't use common positive anyway).

You need to buy an adapter board to get 'normal' outputs with full power (nice little earner there!) or create and fit an amplifier circuit soldered to the decoder. 

(in contrast ZIMO MX644D 21 pin decoders have full power on Aux 3 and 4).

Kind regards

Paul

Ken,

Is this a hardware problem? How are you trying to use Aux3 and Aux4?

Loksound 21 pin decoders have only 'Logic Level' output on Aux 3 and 4. This is very low current and reversed polarity (not exactly, but don't use common positive anyway).

You need to buy an adapter board to get 'normal' outputs with full power (nice little earner there!) or create and fit an amplifier circuit soldered to the decoder. 

(in contrast ZIMO MX644D 21 pin decoders have full power on Aux 3 and 4).

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Paul

The 21pin Loksound SELECT has (according to the manual)  6 full power outputs @ 0.25A 

http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/

Regards

Ken

Ken,

Make sure you're you're using the latest version of the Lokprogrammer software (Help > Check For New Version from memory), then Decoder > Update Decoder Firmware (again, from memory). See if that makes any difference. If not, PM me.

You shouldn't need to faff about with CV's to do this on the Lokprogrammer, that's the whole point of having one.

Bif

The "SELECT" manual in this instance, does appear to be wrong as far as the function mapping table is concerned...........

Oh.

Have you tested the actual outputs?

If it's an NEM660 compliant 21MTC decoder, Aux 3 and above will be 'Logic Level' only. Since ESU and Maerklin 'invented' this interface and effectively dictated the NEM660 norms it would be surprising if these decoders were not compliant.

Or put it another way, why did they introduce the adapter board to convert Logic Level Aux 3 and 4 to 'Open Collector'?

A good reason for using PluX 22 instead. 

Kind regards,

Paul

Oh.

If it's an NEM660 compliant 21MTC decoder, Aux 3 and above will be 'Logic Level' only. Since ESU and Maerklin 'invented' this interface and effectively dictated the NEM660 norms it would be surprising if these decoders were not compliant.

Or put it another way, why did they introduce the adapter board to convert Logic Level Aux 3 and 4 to 'Open Collector'?

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul 

No I've not tried testing the outputs. I have contacted ESU directly with the full decoder details/spec, and await their response, which I'll share on receiving.

As for MTC 21 pin variations, this makes interesting reading :  http://www.sbs4dcc.com/tutorialstipstricks/21mtcconnector.html

Regards

Ken

Oh.

Kind regards,

Paul

Nice to see that you're still taking ill-informed potshots at ESU, Paul,

If you bothered to read ESU's literature or look at their web site http://www.esu.eu/en/products/accessories/adapterplatinen/21mtc-adapter-board-2/, you'd see that ESU's 51968 adapter board is intended for use with the V3 and V4 LokPilots and V3.5 and V4 LokSounds which only have logic level outputs on Aux 3 and 4. It is not intended for Loksound Select which does have normal powered outputs on Aux 3 and Aux 4.

Hi Paul 

No I've not tried testing the outputs. I have contacted ESU directly with the full decoder details/spec, and await their response, which I'll share on receiving.

As for MTC 21 pin variations, this makes interesting reading :  http://www.sbs4dcc.com/tutorialstipstricks/21mtcconnector.html

Regards

Ken

Ken,

Yes, I've read that story several times before.

The 21 MTC is a specific set of criteria, NEM660, not just a 22 pin connector with one pin removed. It specifies among many other things, the output which must be available on each pin.

ESU 21MTC Aux 3 and 4 will be Logic Level only.

Many manufacturers have adopted the 21 pin connector, but no UK based manufacturer has, a far as I am aware, implemented the 21MTC connector in compliance with NEM660 in respect of Aux 3 and above.

The 21MTC logo has been used very loosely.

ZIMO have the MX644C 21 pin which complies with NEM660 as currently specified, and the MX644D which has normal open collector Aux 3 and above. The 644D is by far the most populr in the UK since these outputs can be used straight away without amplifying circuits to be added or adapter boards to be purchased. (and as they have 10 Function Outputs compared with the Loksounds 6 outputs it often means only one decoder is required in complex lighting schemes).

Kind regards,

Paul

Nice to see that you're still taking ill-informed potshots at ESU, Paul,

If you bothered to read ESU's literature or look at their web site http://www.esu.eu/en/products/accessories/adapterplatinen/21mtc-adapter-board-2/, you'd see that ESU's 51968 adapter board is intended for use with the V3 and V4 LokPilots and V3.5 and V4 LokSounds which only have logic level outputs on Aux 3 and 4. It is not intended for Loksound Select which does have normal powered outputs on Aux 3 and Aux 4.

Keith,

Where, in the post you have quoted, have I taken a potshot at ESU?

Kind regards,

Paul

• 1 month later...
Hi Ken,

Just wondering if ESU have bothered to answer your query yet?

Kind regards,

Paul[/quote

Hi Paul

NO ! no response at all despite chasing them ! Poor customer service considering it was a fairly simple question

I ended up using an extra function decoder to get the model completed and returned to it's owner.

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken,

Just wondering if ESU have bothered to answer your query yet?

Kind regards,

Paul[/quote

Hi Paul

NO ! no response at all despite chasing them ! Poor customer service considering it was a fairly simple question

I ended up using an extra function decoder to get the model completed and returned to it's owner.

Regards

Ken

Ken,

Yes as you say, poor service. And someone else has had to pay out money to gloss over their shortcomings.

Perhaps they can't decide what is correct?

Kind regards and sympathies

Paul

Hi Ken,

This whole question about whether the outputs are powered or not came about because it was apparently not possible for you to successfully remap Aux 3 and 4 to work off F13 and F14 instead of the default settings, as per the manual, of F5 and F13, and the OP assumed that was because the Aux 3 and 4 outputs were unpowered like the LS V4. 

I wasn't surprised that other users, including myself, didn't reply when you posted on the ESU users forum as you gave so little information in your first post. I'm equally unsurprised that no-one replied at the time to your second post about the status of the Aux 3 and 4 outputs when the copy of the LS Select manual to which you referred, and the product specification, make it very, very, very clear that Aux 3 and 4 are powered outputs on all versions of the Select, and shows that in the sample wiring diagrams in the manual. I'm not surprised that ESU didn't reply either when it's all in the manual, especially when they were busy dealing with the preparation for the launch of the Mobile Control 2, and the Piko SmartControl. In my experience, they rarely reply to questions when the answers are in their manuals.

Why you couldn't manage to remap the functions is still unclear to me after reading through this topic again, and through your posts on the ESU users forum, or if you did, why there was apparently no output on Aux 3 and 4 when you operated F13 and F14 respectively. You/we don't actually know if the outputs were working either before, or after you soldered the connecting wires to the decoder. So as far as I'm concerned the jury is still out as to whether the Select was faulty before you soldered the wires to it, or if the remapping was incorrect, or if your soldering may inadvertently have damaged it, and the jury will remain out as you no longer have the decoder.

I just think it is a pity that Paul did his usual trick where anyone posts about ESU sound decoders by sniping at ESU and puffing up the Zimo equivalents instead of trying to help you. I don't use Selects, but I have replied to you today on the ESU users forum. But as you no longer have the decoder that will probably have been a waste of my time.

For the record, the LS V4 manual makes it clear in section 6.10.4.1 that the 21 MTC version of the "ordinary" LS V4 has Logic level only outputs on Aux 3 and Aux 4, meaning that if you want to use them you have to use the 51968 adapter board, or 51970 I/O expansion board, or make up your own amplifier. As has been pointed out already this complies with the original spec for the 21MTC interface where there is no provision for powered outputs for Aux 3 and 4.  The LS V4 21MTC version for the DCC, Maerklin Motorola and Selectrix protocols sticks to the original logic level outputs to remain compliant with the original Maerklin 21MTC standard as some users in Germany, etc, will buy it to use with their older MM decoder equipped locos. That is why, as you pointed out earlier, Zimo have C versions of their 21MTC interface decoders.

The LS V4 manual also says in section 6.10.4.2 that the PLuX22 and M4/mfx versions of the LS V4 both have powered outputs for Aux 3 and Aux 4, the same as the Select - hardly surprising given that PluX22 allows for additional powered Aux outputs.

Hi Ken,

This whole question about whether the outputs are powered or not came about because it was apparently not possible for you to successfully remap Aux 3 and 4 to work off F13 and F14 instead of the default settings, as per the manual, of F5 and F13, and the OP assumed that was because the Aux 3 and 4 outputs were unpowered like the LS V4. 

I wasn't surprised that other users, including myself, didn't reply when you posted on the ESU users forum as you gave so little information in your first post. I'm equally unsurprised that no-one replied at the time to your second post about the status of the Aux 3 and 4 outputs when the copy of the LS Select manual to which you referred, and the product specification, make it very, very, very clear that Aux 3 and 4 are powered outputs on all versions of the Select, and shows that in the sample wiring diagrams in the manual. I'm not surprised that ESU didn't reply either when it's all in the manual, especially when they were busy dealing with the preparation for the launch of the Mobile Control 2, and the Piko SmartControl. In my experience, they rarely reply to questions when the answers are in their manuals.

Why you couldn't manage to remap the functions is still unclear to me after reading through this topic again, and through your posts on the ESU users forum, or if you did, why there was apparently no output on Aux 3 and 4 when you operated F13 and F14 respectively. You/we don't actually know if the outputs were working either before, or after you soldered the connecting wires to the decoder. So as far as I'm concerned the jury is still out as to whether the Select was faulty before you soldered the wires to it, or if the remapping was incorrect, or if your soldering may inadvertently have damaged it, and the jury will remain out as you no longer have the decoder.

I just think it is a pity that Paul did his usual trick where anyone posts about ESU sound decoders by sniping at ESU and puffing up the Zimo equivalents instead of trying to help you. I don't use Selects, but I have replied to you today on the ESU users forum. But as you no longer have the decoder that will probably have been a waste of my time.

For the record, the LS V4 manual makes it clear in section 6.10.4.1 that the 21 MTC version of the "ordinary" LS V4 has Logic level only outputs on Aux 3 and Aux 4, meaning that if you want to use them you have to use the 51968 adapter board, or 51970 I/O expansion board, or make up your own amplifier. As has been pointed out already this complies with the original spec for the 21MTC interface where there is no provision for powered outputs for Aux 3 and 4.  The LS V4 21MTC version for the DCC, Maerklin Motorola and Selectrix protocols sticks to the original logic level outputs to remain compliant with the original Maerklin 21MTC standard as some users in Germany, etc, will buy it to use with their older MM decoder equipped locos. That is why, as you pointed out earlier, Zimo have C versions of their 21MTC interface decoders.

The LS V4 manual also says in section 6.10.4.2 that the PLuX22 and M4/mfx versions of the LS V4 both have powered outputs for Aux 3 and Aux 4, the same as the Select - hardly surprising given that PluX22 allows for additional powered Aux outputs.

Good answer without sniping at Zimo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I honestly wish Paul would not put down ESU during most of his posts.  'Wishfull thinking me thinks.  Charlie

Hi Keith

Thanks for your interesting comments,

>> First off, the decoder as supplied and fitted to Bachmann's Class 37 418 already had the F keys re-mapped from the default as shown in the Select manual.  When the decoder was first read on the Lokprogrammer, Aux 2 3 & 4 were not shown as been allocated to any F keys. It was not assumed at this stage that Aux 3 & 4 were unpowered, as the Select Manual stated 6 powered outputs for the the 21pin MTC version, the wiring diagram confirming this.

>>  The Select Manual has errors, as per my first post, the lighting CV's for F0f F0r on the actual decoder were different to what the manual shows, the manual also states only one Index CV is required to be used, where as the Lokprogrammer shows both CV 31 and CV 32 are used.

According to the "manual" Aux 3 & 4 may well be powered in all versions of the Select, but I failed to get them to work on any F Key including F5 and F13.  Provided they are indeed "powered/working" and not just logic it should be possible to allocate them to any F Key and get them to work using the Lokprogrammer.

Busy as ESU may be, a response of some sort is only courteous, and fairs well for good customer relations.  Confirmation that Aux 3 & 4 were powered and not just "logic" outputs would have be helpful after taking the time to fill in all the necessary details etc to contact them.

>> All other outputs worked perfectly, and no, there was no inadvertent damage to the decoder etc, my suspicions remain that Aux 3 & 4 are only logic, regardless of what the manual states.

>> If you must bring Zimo into this, using Aux 3 & 4  or  Zimo's F03/F04 on a MX644 (D) is possible on a 21pin MTC Bachmann loco, the outputs being powered, not logic, work.  So IF AUX 3 & 4 are indeed powered on the SELECT, it stands to reason they should also work with a Bachmann 21 pin MTC circuit board.  Select Aux 3 & 4  outputs are connected directly to solder pads on the decoder itself, and not via the 21pins on the circuit board.  Aux 2 worked when wired as shown in the Select Manual, being wired directly to a solder pad on the decoder itself, this being different to a 21 pin MTC Loksound 4.

I've also used a number of TCS  EU621 - a 21pin MTC non-sound decoder with 6 function outputs on Bachmann 21 pin locos with no problems, all function outputs worked as intended 

>> In hindsight it would have been interesting to have tried the Select on a 51968, if Aux 3 & 4 had then worked, it would have confirmed that the Select outputs were indeed only logic.

I would add the Lok 4 should perhaps be updated to have 6 or more function outputs, to avoid the added expense of using a 51968 to allow access to a further 2 outputs ! 

Regards

Ken

AFAIK,  Bachmann use Loksound V4s not Selects in their UK outline models, so it's not surprising that you got nowhere.

AFAIK, there isn't a 21MTC version of the Select made, at least not for modellers to buy OTC..

Even if ESU had replied, they would have been working off the same incorrect assumption that the decoder was a Select.

If you'd mentioned the loco and interface then that would have helped identify the decoder.. As it was Bachmann factory fitted decoder, perhaps you should have contacted Bachmann and not ESU, in the first instance. 

I brought Zimo into it because Paul did.

The cause of your frustration is that you believed you had a Select, when it was in all probability a V4. What made you think it was a Select in the first place?

AFAIK,  Bachmann use Loksound V4s not Selects in their UK outline models, so it's not surprising that you got nowhere.

>> All recent Bachmann sound fitted locos have Loksound V4's fitted. However sound fitted L/L Class 37 418 as included in the "Highlander Train Set" comes fitted with a 21pin SELECT the included paperwork confirming this. 

AFAIK, there isn't a 21MTC version of the Select made, at least not for modellers to buy OTC..

>> Em No -This confirms a 21 pin version is made, the same decoder being fitted to the loco in question -  it's not a Loksound 4  , although not AFAIK OTC in the UK.

http://tonystrains.com/product/esu-73900-loksound-select-21-pin-sound-decoder/

Even if ESU had replied, they would have been working off the same incorrect assumption that the decoder was a Select.

>>  See above -  I supplied the full decoder data to them, how long would it take for them to confirm if the decoder was a Select or not, a simple yes or no, just how long does that take to type !

If you'd mentioned the loco and interface then that would have helped identify the decoder.. As it was Bachmann factory fitted decoder, perhaps you should have contacted Bachmann and not ESU, in the first instance. 

>> The decoder was produced by ESU . It's more than likely Bachmann would have suggested I contact ESU for any technical information etc

I brought Zimo into it because Paul did.

>> Fair enough, but had it been a Zimo decoder I had an issue with, from past experience, it would have been resolved long before now, by Paul/Zimo

The cause of your frustration is that you believed you had a Select, when it was in all probability a V4. What made you think it was a Select in the first place?

>> The facts: 

The Lokprogrammer confirmed it was a SELECT decoder.The paperwork supplied with the loco stated a SELECT was fitted.  Visually the components/layout on the decoder are different when a 21pin Select / Lok 4 are compared side by side. The decoder is also branded  ESU LSS

Then if it's a Special just for Bachmann, then it has effectively become a Bachmann product. All bets would then be off as regards the accuracy or otherwise of the Select manual as the default decoder settings are for US sounds and would match US practice, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the default decoder settings will have been changed to customise a Select with UK sounds.

If you had spoken to Bachmann and they had referred you to ESU, then fair enough, but in the first instance it is a Bachmann product and they should have been your first port of call.  

Well after doing some more research, I think I've found an answer to the question on the non working Aux 3 & 4 on the 21pin MTC SELECT

According to post #19394 on YahooGroups/Loksound : 

ESU products   54499 (Lok 4) 21pin MTC

73900 (Select) 21pin MTC

BOTH have Logic level on Aux 3 & 4 

Versions of 54400 produced prior to 2015 are Logic level on Aux 3 & 4 

54400 (V2) are full power on Aux 3 & 4 

Posts # 19392 / 19395 are also worth reading

Archived