GWR Buffer stops

wenlock

• RMweb Gold

This has resulted in a few queries that I hope you knowledgeable forum members can answer for me!

1.  What colour would the rail buffer beam have been painted circa 1905?

2.  Although the kit provides a metal buffer beam, could I replace this with a wooden sleeper on other examples on the layout to provide a bit of variety?

3.  What colour would a wooden buffer beam be circa 1905?

4.  Should either type of buffer beam have a lamp on top?

​Thanks all in anticipation!

Best wishes

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

I can sort of answer some of it and have a  stab at some other bits.  But first the thing you didn't ask - what colour is the rest of it apart from the bufferbeam?  Answer black as they were painted with something akin to pitch or thinned tar which went off matt fairly quickly and seems to have been a long established practice judging by stop blocks I have seen in a 'disassembled' state.

1. Probably red but that is little better than an educated(?) guess.

2.  I think so - they do show up on relatively early photos but I'm not at all sure of the reason why one material was favoured over another.  I have a suspicion that wood would have been more common than rail.

3.  See 1

4. Interesting question so listen very carefully.  If it is a stop block approached by a running movement on a running line it should definitely have a lamp - best described as the 'large' pattern signal lamp case (and if it's in a poor visibility spot such as under a station roof it should have two lamps. Red light.

No lamp on stop blocks on sidings with the occasional exception of something like a headshunt where the end could be missed in the dark - if next to a running line (like yours is) White Light.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

That's all really useful information and certainly clarifies the most likely situation:-) I'll get the Matt black out and start repainting everything apart from the buffer beam!

I like the idea of having a bit of variety on the layout so I'll replace some of the kits rail buffer beams with wooden examples and paint them in weathered red.

I think I've got my head around the buffer beam lamp issue! I'll place a lamp with a white lens on the buffer beam at the end of the short head shunt running from the double slip as you suggest.

The back siding, exchange siding and spur running from the cross over I'll leave without a lamp.

My two remaining queries are :-

Should the bufferstop at the terminal end of the running line through the platform road have a lamp on with a red light?

Should I treat the road that runs through the goods shed as an unlamped siding, or should this have a lamp with a red lens on?

Thanks for all your help, I'm learning a lot building this layout!

Best wishes

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

The stop block (sorry to speak Western style) on the platform line should have a  red lamp (or rather a blackpainted lamp case with a red bullseye/light).

The road through the good shed would have a stop block without a lamp  (very unusual for any yard stop blocks to have lamps - while noting that headshunt example of course.

Archived