Aberystwyth Loco Shed

Simond

I am developing the CAD for a 7mm model of Aberystwyth loco shed, the later shed, still standing on the foundations of the old Cambrian era shed. It's a steel-framed building with brick infill. The VoR have used it for many years, and it has been somewhat modified under their ownership.

If anyone can direct me to (or send me) pictures of it in earlier days, I would be hugely grateful.

Given that some things have changed over the years, I may have to accept "close enough", which given GJC's passion for standardisation, may actually be correct. Two particular areas of interest at this moment are the size of typical slates, and the sizes of the roof windows.

The glass in the roof appears to be single panes, from the ridge to the ventilators. I'd be grateful for confirmation of this, and an educated guess on the width of such panes (ie along the roof)

There are also skylights above the old workshop, any guidance regarding the size of these would also be welcome.

Thanks

Simon

Found this in WH Smiths in Euston last night.

Two helpful photos, which is a bonus. The one area for which I still have very little detail is the boiler house, the corner of which can be seen to the left in the attached picture.

I believe it housed a Dean Goods boiler, or something very similar, with a whopping great chimney. If anyone has a photo or any other info regarding this area, I'd be most grateful.

post-20369-0-54881700-1448958092_thumb.jpg

Best

Simon

The constructional photo on Page 269 of "The Coast Lines of the Cambrian Railway" shows the boiler (with chimney) in quite good detail.

However it clearly didn't stay there very long as the 1962 photos on pages 272-3 (and the photo you've just posted) show that part of the building to be empty, whilst the 1955 photo on Page 270 show the chimney is now nearer the western end of the shed.

RJS

thanks for your comments - I think that the chimney at the other end was for a forge or something similar in the workshop.  I'm getting more and more data bit by bit - quite fun! 

I looked out the book you recommended, and will see whether I can pick it up at the Reading show on Saturday.  I'll have a look for the other one too!

best

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Back from a little skiing jaunt to Cervinia in the Italian Alps, beautiful weather, excellent snow (but not much of it) and seem to have avoided injury - and found this on my mat when I opened the front door.

post-20369-0-51358700-1450565867.jpg

Suggestion by Richard (RJS) to whom grateful thanks - it contains several really valuable photos, which will be hugely helpful.

Excellent service from Linda Tinker Railway Books, via Amazon. Usual disclaimers.

Even has a picture of Tre Pol & Pen which will prove useful in due course

Best

Simon

Archived