Time for a pre raphaelite, methinks, never mind the dogs, some bast*rds let the sheep out:

Looks like someone needs the services of a good border collie.

'I am a border collie,

The best trained you could pick.

Since you're the one who threw it,

You go get the stick! '

(seen on a card in Haverthwaite Station gift shop)

Jim

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

'I am a border collie,

You go get the stick! '

Jim

Someone knows our Border Collie...

• Like 2

Someone knows our Border Collie...

They are all of the same ilk. Their instinct is to herd anything that moves into a pen. I've even seen one go into the 'crouch' position to a passing car!

Having said that, they are the most loyal and biddable of dogs. Farmers couldn't work without them.

Jim

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

'I am a border collie,

You go get the stick! '

Jim

We took collie cross bitch from a rescue centre with advised behaviour problems. When we acquired some ducks she appointed herself to look after them and took all the right actions to keep the in a group. She had never been trained to do this.

Don

• Like 7

At least Border Collies just tend to herd things.

Labradors like finding dead things in water.  A friends Lab found two drowned corpses on two different occasions.  The second time, they reckoned that the Police gave them some funny looks....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

At least Border Collies just tend to herd things.

Labradors like finding dead things in water.  A friends Lab found two drowned corpses on two different occasions.  The second time, they reckoned that the Police gave them some funny looks....

Who - your friends or the corpses?

Was it the same two drowned corpses they found on these two different occasions, of different duos of the deceased?

And, Midsomer, was that where you said you lived?

Who - your friends or the corpses?

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................

One body one day, another a few months afterwards further up the canal.  The deceased were in no position to give funny looks. Midsomer is a state of mind.

As an aside, another favourite trick of this particular dog was to go swimming in a neighbours goldfish pond whilst said neighbours were taking afternoon tea.  This would be in the summer months. I think the dog had a rather piquant sense of humour.

• Like 2

Some years ago, we had a retired  ex-farmer come to live next door. One of his two dogs was a Labrador cross, adept at keeping the garden pond free of frog spawn by eating it!  Didn't seem to affect  the dog's health, and she didn't attack the frogs, just did a gentle lift in her mouth and moved them out of the way!

• Like 7

Some years ago, we had a retired  ex-farmer come to live next door. One of his two dogs was a Labrador cross, adept at keeping the garden pond free of frog spawn by eating it!  Didn't seem to affect  the dog's health, and she didn't attack the frogs, just did a gentle lift in her mouth and moved them out of the way!

Perhaps the dog wasn't getting enough tapioca pudding?   :jester:

• Like 1

Our dogs like to eat frog spawn too. But they also eat the frogs if we don't stop them. At least, they eat half of each frog and save the rest for later, which underlines the need for slippers in the morning.

Ewwww.....

I suppose its like Jelly Babies - legs or head first?

However

If you have cats, slippers can be a minefield too.  I won't go into details...

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if I am stating the already stated, or the obvious, and please ignore if I offend in any way, but I have just managed to find time to read Steam Railway magazine and I noted an article on early GER loco's which might be of interest to the exceptionally talented, Mr Edwardian. Two of said early loco's from the late 1800's are currently located just 30 mins from my door at Bressingham Gardens!!! There is also an article on a forgotten loco called "Invicta" which was of similar design to the Rocket! Probably too early for CA, but you never know! 

Again, apologies if you already have this info!

Loving the content - my Border Collie hated water, would round us up like a herd, chase anything that moved (wheelbarrow and lawn-mower being two of his favourite man-propelled objects) and would run a mile if he even thought he spotted a camera! Intelligent and camera shy!!!  Passed away 18 years ago and I still miss him!!!

• Like 1

Bressingham is a bit of a forgotten venue, these days, I think. It was very prominent as a site in the 1970s, but doesn't seem to have the 'profile' nowadays. We went there about five years ago, as a day out from Center Parc, and I was surprised by how much of railway interest there still is, and how accessible it all was. Children loved it, and even SWMBO liked it (she usually finds Railway preservation places a bit twee or drear, which some of them are if you aren't into railways) and had about five hundred rides on the steam gallopers.

It is a blooming long way from anywhere, if you don't live near it, though.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The gardens are stunning though and you get to ride around on a miniature train through all the various gardens they have created. The owner Alan Bloom was a gardening and steam enthusiast and the museum also has a Dads Army display, Model railway layouts and holds a couple of model railway shows, Thomas days, Military and Fire engine events and has a very good garden centre! Steam powered gallopers to top it off.

Well worth a trip if you are intending to venture into deepest, darkest Norfolk anytime in the summer!!! https://www.bressingham.co.uk/home.aspx

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Bressingham is a bit of a forgotten venue, these days, I think. It was very prominent as a site in the 1970s, but doesn't seem to have the 'profile' nowadays. We went there about five years ago, as a day out from Center Parc, and I was surprised by how much of railway interest there still is, and how accessible it all was. Children loved it, and even SWMBO liked it (she usually finds Railway preservation places a bit twee or drear, which some of them are if you aren't into railways) and had about five hundred rides on the steam gallopers.

It is a blooming long way from anywhere, if you don't live near it, though.

I suspect that the changes happened following Alan Bloom's death.

On the subject of interlocking, which seems to crop up from time to time on here, the following was recently posted on another area.

Lairg M1.2.3.4 1946 DK.pdf

Not only does it show the full signalling diagram for both boxes, the identification of each lever and the locking table, (showing which levers lock/release which), but also has a drawing of the arrangement of the rods and tappets on each locking frame.

Both being relatively simple frames it is an interesting introduction to the subject.

Note that the North box down starter and the South box up starter are both slotted with the ground frame in the booking office.  I suspect that this was where the tablet instruments were located and these signals could therefore only be released when all the tablets for the relevant sections were in the instruments.  A tablet would then be removed and passed to the driver before he could proceed.

Jim

• Like 5

On the subject of interlocking, which seems to crop up from time to time on here, the following was recently posted on another area.

attachicon.gifLairg M1.2.3.4 1946 DK.pdf

Not only does it show the full signalling diagram for both boxes, the identification of each lever and the locking table, (showing which levers lock/release which), but also has a drawing of the arrangement of the rods and tappets on each locking frame.

Both being relatively simple frames it is an interesting introduction to the subject....

Interesting article this month too on

the bizarre Wick & Lybster Light Railway in April 'Backtrack'

with plan of a very spacious Lybster BLT

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 5

attachicon.gifLairg M1.2.3.4 1946 DK.pdf

Both being relatively simple frames it is an interesting introduction to the subject.

Note that the North box down starter and the South box up starter are both slotted with the ground frame in the booking office.  I suspect that this was where the tablet instruments were located and these signals could therefore only be released when all the tablets for the relevant sections were in the instruments.  A tablet would then be removed and passed to the driver before he could proceed.

Jim

I’ll be down in the old booking office at Lairg Station sometime soon, Jim. I’ll see if I can get permission to take some photos of any remaining original fittings.

Marlyn

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Interesting article this month too on

the bizarre Wick & Lybster Light Railway in April 'Backtrack'

with plan of a very spacious Lybster BLT

dh

Thanks for that. Must get it. Have been gathering the odd bit on information of the line. Would describe it as interesting rather than bizarre!

Nigel

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A forum member on NGRM is building Thrumster station in 16mm scale.  The real station building has been restored and from the photos I've seen is very nice indeed.

• Like 4

Thanks for that. Must get it. Have been gathering the odd bit on information of the line. Would describe it as interesting rather than bizarre!

Nigel

I found the last dozen years or so bizarre. The LMS as the line's inheritors found it much more economic to run the railway as a bus and goods service - at first directly, then as part of its subsidiary Highland Omnibuses calling at all the stations and keeping all the railway infrastructure and staffing intact until the line's closure within BR in 1951 !

I believe it also connected in bus mode directly down to Helmsdale through the coastal communities.

I used to enjoy riding the Lough Swilly railway buses out from Letterkenny through Donegal to Burtonpoint perhaps in a similar way.

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 2

Spare a thought for France.

With no warning or chance to prepare whatsoever, La France finds herself hosting my tornado of a ten year-old daughter. 

Before she departed these shores, she got on to a bit of terraforming...

post-25673-0-93360300-1521210859_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-12082600-1521211007_thumb.jpg

• Like 10