I, it could well be a cancelled overseas order, which the company has bought cheaply.

The works photo is of a Beyer Peacock commission for South America, 1880s.

Perhaps the West Norfolk could take advantage of a cancelled order on the part of the Khazi of Kalabar's Guaranteed State Railway?

This is the general kind of thing that the article that set me off was about.

Ooh, yes.  Something from my Adopted Heath.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The model pictured for an NER conversion is a Rivarrossi "Bourbonnais", for the French PLM railway, but you knew that anyway. Very good runner, excellent for chopping into a wide range of continental outline jobs. They have a motorised tender, with that high coal hump, which ties down the tender wheelbase, but it does give you more freedom in chopping the engine end, for instance 2-4-0 is quite practicable. Good luck with the house sale.

How about something with possibly the most ridiculous connecting rod ever?

K

CME: "I told you to put the connecting rods outside the coupling rods. Now I'll be remembered for posterity as that idiot who designed a stupid looking loco"

Works Foreman: "You said inside, so we had to improvise"

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Updating my last comments, if you fancy trying this rebuild, there is an HO model of the Bourbonnais, Spanish RENFE version, currently available from MABARTREN, a Spanish outfit. (The Rivarrossi one is much harder to lay your hands on) The big plus is it has a six wheel tender which does have a more English look, but I have no practical experience of this one. "Bourbonnais",by the way, is French shorthand for a long boiler, short wheelbase 0-6-0, inside framed, outside cylindered loco, usually with inside valve gear.

Edit: Presumably the original MR article mentioned the removal of the cylinders, it's not mentioned in the list of mods in Kevin's clipping!

Edit 2: If you remove the outside cylinders, and have virtual inside cylinders, in French eyes it becomes a "Mammouth".

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 4

Updating my last comments, if you fancy trying this rebuild, there is an HO model of the Bourbonnais, Spanish RENFE version, currently available from MABARTREN, a Spanish outfit. (The Rivarrossi one is much harder to lay your hands on) The big plus is it has a six wheel tender which does have a more English look, but I have no practical experience of this one. Bourbonnais, by the way, is French shorthand for a long boiler, short wheelbase 0-6-0, inside framed, outside cylindered loco, usually with inside valve gear.

I will have a look, but we only have 4-wheeled tenders on the West Norfolk!

EDIT: Superb.  Well spotted.  Pictures below

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

Simon

Re: yours on geometry.

Why?

I was beginning to think that it would actually be identical with the tangent, not perpendicular to it, because a tangent is a line joining two infinitesimally spaced points on a curve, and if the curve happens to be of infinite radius, a straight line, as a tangent is, then the tangent to it will be identical with it.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

Crikey!

You could put this straight into traffic, and the locals wouldn't bat an eyelid.

http://www.mabar.es/en/a-11/STEAM-LOCOMOTIVE-OF-RENFE-030-2305/

You could, but at between Euro 185-190, it's unlikely!

Clearly a very considerable upgrade from the Rivarossi Bourbonnais!

The old wooden coaches look pretty good too.

The boiler mounted sandbox should probably go, but beyond that, it's a question of how picky/how distinctive you want to be.  The cab could be reduced to a half cab, the lamps replaced, the steps replaced, the chimney replaced, and I don't like the o/s steam pipe, but, frankly, that's not a whole lot of work, and most of it's pretty optional.

Still, if it doesn't fit on a 50' turntable, it can't go into stock with the West Norfolk!  Hence the preference for 4-wheel tenders (and nothing to do with their gratuitously archaic appeal!).

post-25673-0-55190300-1477430972.jpg

post-25673-0-62992900-1477431004_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Why?

Because I could then make a lame joke about being at right angles to reality.

Really wasn't worth it, was it...?

Why did you make the remark in the first place, then?

Not following this at all.

Just being obtuse.

• Like 3

"Why did you make the remark in the first place, then?"

It was a figure of speech, and it was only as I typed it that I began to wonder what, if anything, it actually meant mathematically.

Important stuff to a believer in the science of pyramidology, of course. Which I'm not, but Mr O'Doolight is.

K

• Like 1

My folks came up for a visit.  Took us out for supper this evening.  First time we've eaten out in months.  First draft beer in months. Two pints of Timothy Taylor's Landlord and I am in a state of mellow contentment.

:imsohappy:

• Like 8

Still, if it doesn't fit on a 50' turntable, it can't go into stock with the West Norfolk!  Hence the preference for 4-wheel tenders (and nothing to do with their gratuitously archaic appeal!).

Two saw cuts and a bit of glue :)

post-7091-0-65552500-1477433064.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

For many years I have had on my bookshelf "Forty years of a Norfolk railway" by William Marriott. He was first associated with the predecessors of the Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway in 1881. May I suggest that a read of this book might put you in "period" mode as far as the Castle Aching scenario is concerned? It was republished in 1973 by the M&GN Society and may be rather rare these days. Original price was 45p. Currently available on Amazon for 1p plus postage.

And to be far more boring, but eminently practical, in the 1860s Sharp Stewart sold its standard 2-4-0s to a number of railways including the Cambrian and the Furness. By the time in which Castle Aching is set many of these would have come on the second hand market. I mention this because I think a kit of the Cambrian version is in the offing or may already be available, albeit probably at a price comparable with the delightful French locomotives illustrated above. Some had four-wheeled tenders.

Jonathan

• Like 2

For many years I have had on my bookshelf "Forty years of a Norfolk railway" by William Marriott. He was first associated with the predecessors of the Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway in 1881. May I suggest that a read of this book might put you in "period" mode as far as the Castle Aching scenario is concerned? It was republished in 1973 by the M&GN Society and may be rather rare these days. Original price was 45p. Currently available on Amazon for 1p plus postage.

And to be far more boring, but eminently practical, in the 1860s Sharp Stewart sold its standard 2-4-0s to a number of railways including the Cambrian and the Furness. By the time in which Castle Aching is set many of these would have come on the second hand market. I mention this because I think a kit of the Cambrian version is in the offing or may already be available, albeit probably at a price comparable with the delightful French locomotives illustrated above. Some had four-wheeled tenders.

Jonathan

Thank you.  I have recently finished reading Ronald Clark's Illustrated History of MGNJR Locomotives, clearly a Marriott fan, so am getting into the mood. 

I purchased it because the book includes a GA and dimensions for the Fox Walker tank I want to tackle, and some other MGN and constitutuent types that could either be Golden Gorse visitors or locos sold off and passed to the WNR.  But I have enjoyed some of the descriptions of this line's almost family atmosphere under the long and benign care of Marriott.  A man who clearly inspired great loyalty and affection.

I must follow up on your kind recommendation if I have a moment today.

Those small SS 2-4-0s are very much in my cross-hairs, though I had assumed the WNR would buy them new.  The WNR is a small line, with some second-hand stock, but not a shoe-string line (it's me, not the WNR, that's brassic). There are at least 2 kits planned in 4mm, so far as I am aware.  Knuckles of this parish has now produced a Furness Railway J1, which was a tank rebuild, so I believe the original tender version will be along at some point in 3D print.

Frankly, I'd like a Cambrian, Furness and West Norfolk version, as I love these locos, and their 0-6-0 SS sisters, all with 4-wheel tenders!

Other dream locos are the Cornwall Mineral 0-6-0s, both as tanks plus tenders and the 2-4-0 rebuilds, because, of course, the latter were not scrapped at the turn of the century, but sold off to the WNR.  Stretching it to still be in E&M umber in 1905, but, what the Hell!

One class I was entirely unaware of until reading Clark's book were the 2 ex-LNWR (ex-Lancaster & Carlisle, in fact) 2-4-0 Trevithick Goods engines dating from 1857.  We tend to forget that in the Nineteenth century 0-6-0s could be intended for mixed traffic and 2-4-0s were designed for goods work!  A number were later converted to tanks engines.  Melton Constable replaced their original 4-wheeled tenders with 6-wheel tenders (though they look pretty short) but I just wonder if the LNWR, who seem to have sold off to (and built for!) other lines more locos than most companies, might have parted with a third member of the class to the WNR?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Simon

Re: yours on geometry.

Why?

I was beginning to think that it would actually be identical with the tangent, not perpendicular to it, because a tangent is a line joining two infinitesimally spaced points on a curve, and if the curve happens to be of infinite radius, a straight line, as a tangent is, then the tangent to it will be identical with it.

Kevin

Possibly true until Einstein started curving space.

Don