Converting Bachmann 7F to 1914 build

JZ

Handrails + tablet catcher fitted, bit of paint and then coal in the tender and  BR early emblem on from an old sheet of Woodhead Transfers, but have noticed that the lions tail has gone, so will have to replace with some HMRS equivalents:

post-28787-0-04983800-1474971475.jpg

Slightly blurry view of the brass rod and Evergreen plastic tablet catcher:

If any one is interested I will post again with the loco part. sorry about it being a multiple post, but I could not work out how to space the pictures between the words.

Regards,

Neil

post-28787-0-98409300-1474971545.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Very nice, and I bought a GBL compound exactly to do this, to serve as a tender donor. My large boiler is still on the work bench (most projects still are!), as I wasn't satisfied with the "sit" of the boiler. Hopefully will work on it the next couple of weekends. I wasn't happy with the Green park shedplates from 247, so still need an alternate source. I have however completed the larger smokebox, complete with Midland boiler "dogs". Very useful Neil, I will shameless use your method to back date the tender. 247 do a white metal version of the tablet catcher too.

Neil

I have a DJH Large boilered 7F I started 25 odd years ago, I got all the body built but the valve gear defeated me! I recently dug it out to compare with the Bachmann small boilered version and it looks decidedly skinny, pretty much the same diameters as the Bachmann boiler.

On the subject of the relative boiler diameters, there is something I have never quite got my head around with these. If you look at both the small and large boilered type the rear of the boiler appears to be exactly the same width as the firebox. does this mean the large boilered type had a wider firebox? and if it did, did this taper towards the rear, as the visable width of the sides of the spectacle plates looks to be the same on both series.

EDIT: I am now convinced that the firebox was tapered, a few photos show the shadow of the vacuum ejector pipe moving further down the firebox towards the rear, and as the pipe was straight, the firebox cladding must be going inwards.

I have toyed with the idea of bulking the DJH boiler & smokebox by wrapping them  in plasticard. but cannot see a way to make the boiler match up with the firebox, because of the reason given above.

EDIT: I am  in the process of doing this, see here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117896-converting-a-Bachmann-7f-to-the-large-boilered-variety-now-with-various-other-sd-bits/&do=findComment&comment=2659099

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Slightly blurry view of the brass rod and Evergreen plastic tablet catcher:

If any one is interested I will post again with the loco part. sorry about it being a multiple post, but I could not work out how to space the pictures between the words.

Regards,

Neil

but I could not work out how to space the pictures between the words.

When you have chosen your photos and uploaded them, they sit below the text panel. At the right end of each photo's little panel there is an option 'button'  [ Add to post I Delete ] If you move the cursor in the text panel down a line and click the 'Add to post' button the url of the photo will appear in the text. If you want to add further text, hit the enter key to go down a line, add your text and repeat the process with the next photo. Once you go to 'Add Reply' or 'Preview Post' the photos will come up in the text box.

Back, around 50 years ago, I converted a Hornby Dublo 8F to a 7F. I knew I could never deal with the valve gear and anyway I couldn't afford a brass kit. I would never have imagined that there would be a r-t-r 7F. The paint was hand-brushed on - from a tar pot I should think, but for the record here it is!

post-14351-0-93599900-1475060535_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I finished my conversion last night, so I thought I would post some more pictures. First up is a slightly blurred shot of the left side with the new sandbox arrangement:

post-28787-0-02371000-1475834782_thumb.jpg

and the same for the right also showing the reversing lever in the new position.

post-28787-0-11578300-1475834785_thumb.jpg

Left side handrail on:

post-28787-0-88119900-1475834787_thumb.jpg

and a shot to show the new tender compared to a Fowler tender of the '25 build.

post-28787-0-45939400-1475834790_thumb.jpg

Finally some more of the finished model next to her younger, cleaner sister.post-28787-0-73121900-1475834793_thumb.jpg

and just a general shot.

post-28787-0-26033600-1475834796_thumb.jpg

As my long term plan is to model Radstock in the first half of the 50's I may have to do another one of the three Bachman models I have!

Doing this has also inspired me to purchase a set of valve gear from Bachmann, to see if I can use it to finally finish my large boilered DJH version started 25 odd years ago.

Regards,

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I finished my conversion last night, so I thought I would post some more pictures. First up is a slightly blurred shot of the left side with the new sandbox arrangement:

attachicon.gifFormatFactoryP1080042.jpg

and the same for the right also showing the reversing lever in the new position.

attachicon.gifFormatFactoryP1080046.jpg

Left side handrail on:

attachicon.gifFormatFactoryP1080052.jpg

and a shot to show the new tender compared to a Fowler tender of the '25 build.

attachicon.gifFormatFactoryP1080060.jpg

Finally some more of the finished model next to her younger, cleaner sister.attachicon.gifFormatFactoryP1080067.jpg

and just a general shot.

attachicon.gifFormatFactoryP1080069.jpg

As my long term plan is to model Radstock in the first half of the 50's I may have to do another one of the three Bachman models I have!

Doing this has also inspired me to purchase a set of valve gear from Bachmann, to see if I can use it to finally finish my large boilered DJH version started 25 odd years ago.

Regards,

Neil

Nice work! Unfortunately none of Dad's photos show 7Fs at Radstock, but I have just uploaded his photos on the Bath to Bournemouth branch - the Somerset Central ones will follow shortly. There are only a couple of Radstock shots - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/76316-br-75071-radstock-29-8-1957-perhaps/  - is one.

Thank you for the link to the photos Phil

Downendian, This is now one of the 1914 build, so no large boiler at all, just the Bachmann model. The conversion went fine, and only cost me £12 for a GBL compound and some Gibson handrail knobs, wire, a bit of Evergreen plus the usual paint and transfers. If i do another one I will not attempt to pull out the existing handrail knobs on the right hand side, but may file down the rounded part a bit, then drill small location holes on the back of the ejector pipe to mount it, as I feel that the way i did this one, with the pipe just glued on to the broken off knobs is somewhat fragile. But at the time I didn't know they would snap off and thought I could just pull them loose and swap sides.

Neil

Archived