Gladstone Street Goods

Windjabbers

Here goes... These are my first thoughts on a shunting plank that i'm planning on building.

It's about 6ft by 20ins and will use Peco code 75 Track.

I (hope) I’ve come up with a fairly neutral design which can be used by the range of stock I’ve got from the 1950’s to the 1980’s.

Would welcome any comments.

Best Wishes

David

post-6804-0-94299500-1458311321_thumb.jpg

It has a lot going for it. Could be made very visually interesting and good to operate.

At a practical, real-railway operating, level, a few questions:

- crane(s)?

- have carts and lorries got room to turn round?

- weigh-bridge for road vehicles?

- coal ....... It was the biggest single traffic; is it handled elsewhere?

- what is that goods platform used for? ("Nothing much, these days." Might be a valid answer, because by the 1950s, a lot was moving over to road transport).

To make it really work, you probably need to invent a "back story" for the town, so that you know what industries it might serve. Is it largely boxes of pre-packaged sausages outwards, or bales of imported wool inwards, or .........

Kevin

It has a lot going for it. Could be made very visually interesting and good to operate.

At a practical, real-railway operating, level, a few questions:

- crane(s)?

- have carts and lorries got room to turn round?

- weigh-bridge for road vehicles?

- coal ....... It was the biggest single traffic; is it handled elsewhere?

- what is that goods platform used for? ("Nothing much, these days." Might be a valid answer, because by the 1950s, a lot was moving over to road transport).

To make it really work, you probably need to invent a "back story" for the town, so that you know what industries it might serve. Is it largely boxes of pre-packaged sausages outwards, or bales of imported wool inwards, or .........

Kevin

thanks Some good points for me to mull over there. 

Best Wishes

David

I agree that it looks to have good potential for some urban modelling as well as shunting.

Small locos and short wheelbase wagoins would probably work better.

I can see that it can be shunted self contained as it is, do you intend to add a fiddle yard, or cassettes to feed trains in?

I agree with Kevin, some history for the yard will help bring it to life.

To me the goods platform looks like it may once long ago have been a passenger station, perhaps another railway company also opened

a station in the town and after a merger this station closed but was kept open for goods?.

When I first saw it I thought of Hamworthy Goods in Dorset, that was originally built as a passenger station

but very early on the station closed.

There are other passenger stations that later closed and became a goods depot

Weston-super-Mare (1866 station), Barnstaple Victoria, Chard GW, and Wells Somerset. 

cheers

Archived