Roco "Double Fairlie" dropped

phil gollin

Did people note in the latest edition of Model Rail that the proposed (aka"vapourware") Roco 009 Double Fairlie has been cancelled due to lack of orders from UK stockists !

Well, as I only knew about it from a couple of lines in magazines ayear ago I'm not surprised. Given Roco's general prices it was an "ambitious" idea - I saw a rumoured price of over £200 !

Now with the numerous good quality N-gauge chassis around nowaday surely there is room for Hornby/Graham Farish or Dapol to do a British outline 009 loco.

Long, well trodden story re. British outline RTR. Sadly many 009 modellers don't seem willing to part with cash for more expensive items of stock.

I feel there could have been a better choice of prototype as was discussed on the old thread.

Long, well trodden story re. British outline RTR. Sadly many 009 modellers don't seem willing to part with cash for more expensive items of stock.

I feel there could have been a better choice of prototype as was discussed on the old thread.

I (like a fair few, I would bet) would have been perfectly willing to part with my hard-earned cash for a good quality working Double Fairlie (reference my banana shape Langley one and my bodged Backwoods kits ;) ) but I would have preferred something a bit more concrete first - it was, after all, aimed at quite a small market but Roco just seemed to assume that we'd beat a path to their door and didn't publicise it very well. Not just their loss, but ours too - what does a Backwoods Fairlie cost now? Around the £100 mark? Add in the time and stress of getting the infernal thing to run (or is that just me :blink: ?) and pretty soon £200 starts not looking unreasonable.

Ah well, I suppose I'd better get back to making a replacement coupling rod for my other stuffed-up kit!

• RMweb Gold

Sadly many 009 modellers don't seem willing to part with cash for more expensive items of stock.

I don't think that was the 009 Fairlies downfall.

In my opinion it was bad marketing and information on Rocos part that played a significant part in this being cancelled.

Cast your mind back, its announced.

Whoo whoo from the 009 modellers (including me)

Then the unanswered questions;

How much is this likely to be......... we don't know yet.

What will be the spec of the model......... we don't know for sure...maybe this.

When is it due out......we cannot say.

Oh and it will only go ahead if enough people order it.

Sorry Roco, but you only have yourselves to blame here.

Who is going to place an order for anything of this value when you do not know what you are getting and when.unsure.gif

I agree with both of you, i think it's a combination of all of the above, however I do think that cost is a big part to play in the lack of interest as well as Roco's poor publicity of it.

I don't think they ever really confirmed what actual loco it was going to be of! :blink:

Archived