Hornby Class 56 sound installation

Leon

Hi all,

I'm sure there are many topics regarding installation of sound into a Hornby class 56, having looked inside the 56 to me the only place for a speaker would be where the fans are, am I right in thinking unscrew and remove the fan workings and place the speaker here? I'm planning to use a Legomanbiffo set up. Just manges to fit one into the class 60 with a bit of cutting and squeezing. Can anyone offer any advice on the 56?

Many thanks

Leon.

Hi all,

I'm sure there are many topics regarding installation of sound into a Hornby class 56, having looked inside the 56 to me the only place for a speaker would be where the fans are, am I right in thinking unscrew and remove the fan workings and place the speaker here? I'm planning to use a Legomanbiffo set up. Just manges to fit one into the class 60 with a bit of cutting and squeezing. Can anyone offer any advice on the 56?

Many thanks

Leon.

Bass Reflex Supersound speaker facing downwards is quite good.  Charlie

The bass reflex speaker is fab  :)

Just need to notch it to get past the lugs on the chassis. I managed to do mine without breaking into the sound chamber which was a bonus.......small file, slow and steady and constantly checking fit  ;)

Thanks guys, I did see on the Internet about removing the fan and cutting away the speaker box to fit between the holding bolts. I will go withy this Method, Charlie, I will order once I'm back from Holiday.

Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated.

Hi all,

Many thanks

Leon.

One option for Bass reflex fitting in a Hornby Class 56:

HTH

Ken

post-2215-0-45579600-1466509685_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-26175300-1466509850_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-19927000-1466509929_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Leon,

I've done a couple of 56's now both on the non sound chassis from Hornby. I remove the fan drive etc from the chassis and cut the rubber band away to remove.

I then cut out a bit of black plasticard cut out into a rectangle to fit in the roof under the fan grills and remove the Hornby ones and glue them onto the plastic so they align with the grills. This can then be glued into the roof. In one the base reflex was used this fits fine with a bit of plastic removed but the other has the larger speaker fitted which just needed a couple of plastic fillets adding to the chassis block so it didn't press against the fly wheel. The speaker fits facing down with the top outer edges cut back and filed carefully so the body fits back on. Very loud with this set up.

Thanks

Mark

I fitted sound to a DCC fitted Class 56.

There was enough room at the opposite end to the fans to put a piece of plascard over the bogie gearbox tower to support a 28mm round speaker bedded in mastic.

The 8-pin decoder went in the normal place on top of the central pcb.

To allow the sound to better escape from the upward facing speaker I propped both cab doors open at that end.

You can see the typical speaker placement on I think it was Bromsgrove Models site, which gave me the idea to do my installation. I cant post a picture of mine as its on the other pc which is 2000 miles away at present.

Archived