horse drawn pantecnican

I have built a white metal kit of a pantecnicon with added detail(will post a pic). I am without doubt the worst at lettering so do Powsides do commissions for this sort of thing? It will only be white letters. I cant find any transfers of the type face and size I want.

post-28019-0-48077500-1466877879_thumb.jpg

post-28019-0-13051500-1466877899_thumb.jpg

…..  so do Powsides do commissions for this sort of thing? …...

At the risk of sounding unhelpful, it is surely better to ask Powsides directly, I would have thought (see 'commissions' on their web site).

Could you print them, white on black background on thin paper and glue them to the sides. From the pictures it looks like the sides are divided into panels. If you print the black background oversized and trim it to the panel sizes, the raised panel edges should hide the fact that it's an overlay. You'll probably need to paint the panels white first as the current black will show through the white paper when it's varnished.

Nice model, btw.

Just by the way, Pantechnicon was actually a removals and storage company rather than a name for a vehicle.  The name came from their ornate storage building in London. Subsequently, like Hoover, it became the generic name for horse drawn furniture van.

Don't forget you can print your own transfers on an ordinary ink jet printer, the paper is sold online etc., and the process is simple to do.

Stephen.

I'm not sure that there are any that will print in white (there was one years ago - a dye-sub printer I think, but I haven't seen anything like it for ages). Printing the black background and leaving the letters clear would work for transfers, as I suggested earlier for ordinary paper, if the wagon is repainted in white so it shows through the gaps. 

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure that there are any that will print in white (there was one years ago - a dye-sub printer I think, but I haven't seen anything like it for ages). Printing the black background and leaving the letters clear would work for transfers, as I suggested earlier for ordinary paper, if the wagon is repainted in white so it shows through the gaps. 

Better to use white transfer paper and colour everything you don't want white, light colours that need white will show better than if they're over a white background.

Better to use white transfer paper and colour everything you don't want white, light colours that need white will show better than if they're over a white background.

I must admit, I didn't know you could get white transfer paper - I thought when it came off the backing material it would be clear. 

• RMweb Premium

Not usually the sort of thing that interests me, in that its well out of my era, but that looks quite a nice model Steve.

I often wonder if this type of nitpicking post is really necessary

Londontram, is it nitpicking or might it be useful?  Yes, its misspellt in the thread title, and its not an easy word to spell in the first place, but correcting it or at least making sure the correct spelling is SOMEWHERE in the thread might help anyone else who searches for "pantechnicon" in future - assuming the next person searching knows the right spelling too!

Thanks for the nice comments JDW. The horse drawn furniture van didn't turn out to bad. I think Londontram was picking on the one word reply in italics. A few words with reference to the question as well as pointing out the spelling error might have caused less offence. That's the way I see it anyway. Thanks again for the nice comments.

Steve

Archived