GCR Ruddington Model Rail Show 30/31 July 2016

srihaggis

9A19D2A2-BFEA-4224-B641-5324FF12B72A_zps

Model Rail Show 2016

Address: Mere Way Business Park, Ruddington, Nottingham. NG10 6JS. www.gcrn.co.uk

Our 10mile standard gauge railway will be in operation on both days, both of which are currently rostered for Steam using 8F 8274.

The road transport collection will also be on outdoor display this weekend.

Tickets are available for purchase as show only or combined show & rail travel ticket only, and will be available for purchase on the gate with cash & cards accepted. Click here to book online www.gcrn.co.uk

As always, any profits go towards the upkeep/restoration of the GCRN owned vehicles and infrastracture.

Admission:

- Show only: Adult £6, Child £3.

- Show + Unlimited travel train ride ticket: Adult £12, Child £6 & Family (2A+3C) £30.

Layouts: There are still a few layouts yet to be officially confirmed, these will be added to the list beelow as they are rubber-stamped. List updated 09/06/16

642CA450-232F-4464-870F-4FA0350F2882_zps

- Roanoke Roundhouse - H0 Scale

A07CA7B2-2616-4C26-84E6-1884ED89684F_zps

- Swad Lane - 00 Gauge

FFB8B137-22EE-4060-B510-9E5FE8D321D3_zps

- Maloja - H0 Scale

2C784E97-09BA-480D-9532-FB593D1075C9_zps

- Connaught Road - 00 Gauge

2DFA9786-AEA4-4774-87A6-B87314B614C9_zps

- Trackworkers Sleepy Hollow - N Gauge

13682127-CECB-4202-9A7F-906062550D06_zps

- Werrington Road - 00 Gauge

918FFCE3-89D3-483A-A0AB-A5DCDDDB89F5_zps

- Norman Crossing - G Scale

C4492AFB-F43C-4B25-A9CD-1423A2524DD9_zps

- Coxheath Sidings - O / 7mm Scale

- Tanners Hill - N Gauge - (Awaiting Photograph)

- Wythong Road- (Awaiting Photograph)

- Drumnadrochit - 00 Gauge- (Awaiting Photograph)

- Dudley Road - 00 Gauge- (Awaiting Photograph)

- Fenby Quay - 00 Gauge- (Awaiting Photograph)

- Millhouse Lane - O Gauge (R-MRC)- (Awaiting Photograph)

- Limesbridge - 00 gauge

- Ruddington - 00 Scale (R-MRC)- (Awaiting Photograph)

- Thomas/Sodor - 00 Scale (R-MRC)- (Awaiting Photograph)

- Nottingham Society of Model and Experimental Engineers, various scales of rideable trains.- (Awaiting Photograph)

4288C192-D29E-4F1E-88AF-DBADF7E95571_zps

- Meet Kit Spackman from the APT-E Conservation Group from 12:00 on both days, who will be on-hand in our audio visual centre featuring a presentation at 13:00 and talks about the development of this iconic vehicle along side the prototype high speed train, which is also based here at Ruddington.

Traders:

- Keiths Model Railways

- Mikes Models

- Newstead Models

- Ruddington MRC

- MTFG Hobbies

- Trackside Videos

6E14B40D-1438-4080-AE4B-B85AE09A5C89_zps

- 8F 8274, currently scheduled to run services on the weekend of the show, photographed near Stanford on Soar on the GCR(N).

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to being there with Coxheath Sidings, if you visit swing by & say hi!

This event looks to be in good hands with a fine selection of layouts & full size trains.

Dava

Hi, just a quick question - will the layouts be located as they were in 2015?

Due to space constraints, there won't be a huge difference compared to 2015, with the exception that we will be using more space in the main building and a couple of extra rooms that weren't used last year. HTH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking to be a good show.

Ruddington MRC will also have a sales stand outside selling some second hand loco's and rolling stock and a rather large collection of empty boxes!

Thanks Sam, have updated the list!

20160729_173327_zpsmioe0vug.jpg

- Board Lane Goods Yard 00

20160729_172929_zpsse22wueo.jpg

- Maloja H0

20160729_170840_zpsfbg1wvti.jpg

- Drumnadrochit. Refurbished layout that hasn't seen a show in over 20 years.

A pleasing amount of exhibitors arrived today; only a handful left to arrive.

Photographed above are a selection during test earlier this evening.

Interesting Dava, between 10.00 when the gates opened and 1200 I was in the main facility, that was very busy today, I could barely move at times. I'll note your comments and get some extra signage up for you tomorrow :)

Speaking of tomorrow, open again from 10:00 till 1630 ish. A Retimed start for the APT-E talk is now 11am.

20160730_161756_zps8iqb53ac.jpg

- Well this doesn't tilt does it? Kit Spackman Pictured with powercar 41001.

I made it this morning at about 10.30am and caught the 11am train before looking around the show. The event seemed to be well attended and the main shed always seemed busy. I enjoyed the event, but sadly I do have some gripes which I hope will be taken as constructive criticism. On a positive note - this was a much better show than the one I attended two years ago which still holds my award as the worst event I have ever attended. This was far better than that show so well done to the new organiser's for moving this show forward from a time of decay. I hope my comments will help the show continue to improve - as a working member from the other end of the GC I want to see all events on the railway thrive.

And so to the points:

In the main shed I would say that the walkway was far too narrow near the front and it made walking between the layouts very difficult, especially with a youngster in tow. There were some excellent layouts, but I would suggest that the range was very poor - the vast majority were running diesels of some shape or form. Only the GWR layout at the end of the shed and Board Lane had any steam outline models with Coxheath Sidings and the G scale models the only other steam providers from the guest layouts. The show was great if you were of a diesel persuasion with plenty of excellent layouts showing off this type of modelling. Sadly not enough steam for me and my young daughter also commented on the lack of this! There also seemed less exhibits than some of the show's earlier years with only one layout in the road transport shed and nothing in the building at the far end of the site.

The regular layouts did provide a good mix with a procession of steam and diesel on the Ruddington model and a very busy Thomas layout which attracted the children. The room was let down by the O Gauge model. This is such an excellent model,with superb scenery, it just lacked movement. The young operator seemed far more interested in his mobile phone than running any trains. What a shame!

The miniature railway was doing a steady trade and there were some excellent locos in use. The additional charge was not expensive and is a justifiable extra cost. We both enjoyed our run on the ground level track, and would have paid for further rides if we had the time.

There were a number of traders there so there was a good choice to try and tempt visitors to part with their cash. I didn't buy anything, but that was simply because there was nothing there I wanted. I would suggest that the trade could have been improved with a book seller and someone selling new, rather than second hand stuff, this would have improved the breadth of what was on sale.

The cafe was doing a roaring trade - in fact so good that they were trying to cook more chips because they had run out when I joined the queue. These things can happen, and the food was good value. Could this have been improved? Yes - by having a menu on clear display as the chalk board had been rubbed to a point where you could not read the choices or prices. Cannot complain about quality of food though!

It was great to see the steam locomotive in service. I have not had a ride behind 8274 before so that was a real positive for the day.

Overall I did enjoy the show. I stayed for 4 hours, with a good proportion of that spent on the train. I enjoyed the layouts, but wished there had been a better range. I will be back next year though.

Hello all

Just a quick thank you for the weekend

Was there with my layout and me and dad enjoyed the weekend. Some good layouts yes mainly diesel and electric era but that's my era anyway.

Well done to the organizer and to the railway as a whole.

Steve

Thank you for the feedback. I won't disect the entire message on here, although I can say there were more than just 2 steam layouts as you mention, off memory there were at least 5 or 6, although when you visited they might have just ran diesel as some ran a mix. You must have totally missed the steam-only roundhouse layout?

I do understand the need for a balance, in this respect I was let down by a few steam only layouts due to holidays at shortish notice.

As an organiser (just my self), I find it difficult to secure layouts in principle, espically steam as these generally get booked 2 years ahead, I do have a very demanding Mon-Fri day job as well as trying to get a days work on rolling stock at Ruddington as well as work on my own layout as time permits, so unless I get some extra help securing layouts as I do like to have a break from time to time, my aim is to try and fill the show so it's not the flop you experienced in the past. I have had an offer of a couple of additionl steam layouts for next year which is positive.

Going forward, words will be had with management about the shows future (in general), but on the whole from our perspective, the show was very successful and the best on record for attendance, espically Saturday which was absolutely rammed. Sunday we expected it to be quieter due to a couple of local events in Burton and Mansfield.

As a footnote about sales stands; I agree, although I found it rather odd, one of the traders arrived on Saturday with a very good selection of new models (I had intended to purchase some on Sunday), yet when they turned up on Sunday they came with mostly used stock... bizzaire. As for a book sales stand, I did make a few calls to a few local book sales people and unfortunately nobody seemed interested in attending with a stand.

Thank you for the feedback. I won't disect the entire message on here, although I can say there were more than just 2 steam layouts as you mention, off memory there were at least 5 or 6, although when you visited they might have just ran diesel as some ran a mix. You must have totally missed the steam-only roundhouse layout?

I do understand the need for a balance, in this respect I was let down by a few steam only layouts due to holidays at shortish notice.

As an organiser (just my self), I find it difficult to secure layouts in principle, espically steam as these generally get booked 2 years ahead, I do have a very demanding Mon-Fri day job as well as trying to get a days work on rolling stock at Ruddington as well as work on my own layout as time permits, so unless I get some extra help securing layouts as I do like to have a break from time to time, my aim is to try and fill the show so it's not the flop you experienced in the past. I have had an offer of a couple of additionl steam layouts for next year which is positive.

Going forward, words will be had with management about the shows future (in general), but on the whole from our perspective, the show was very successful and the best on record for attendance, espically Saturday which was absolutely rammed. Sunday we expected it to be quieter due to a couple of local events in Burton and Mansfield.

As a footnote about sales stands; I agree, although I found it rather odd, one of the traders arrived on Saturday with a very good selection of new models (I had intended to purchase some on Sunday), yet when they turned up on Sunday they came with mostly used stock... bizzaire. As for a book sales stand, I did make a few calls to a few local book sales people and unfortunately nobody seemed interested in attending with a stand.

Thanks for your comments. When I wrote my views I had forgotten the roundhouse layout - my apologies on that. That said its position was at the narrowest part of the walkway so it was difficult to view.

If the attendance was higher on Saturday you definitely were busy, as I felt the Sunday seemed well attended. That is great news for the GC if you secured a good attendance.

As someone who also organises a show on their own (Weston on Trent) I totally appreciate the difficulty of such a task and you have my respect for taking this on. I have a similar problem with securing layouts at times. It does sound like I was unlucky with some of the layouts which happened to be running diesel during my visit when they had run steam earlier in the weekend. It also sounds like I was unfortunate with the trade stand on Sunday. Such a shame the smallholder turned up with different stock on each day. If it is the one I think it is, I suspect they split their resources with one of the other events you mentioned.

Please do not take my comments as pure criticism. I enjoyed my visit and will be there next year. You have done a great job of bringing the show forward from the dire attempt by a previous organiser two years ago. To do that, and on your own, you should take plenty of credit and I take me hat off to you - well done.

Incidentally, as a GC member, I have offered my help with this show in previous years and my offer of help and support still stands.

The regular layouts did provide a good mix with a procession of steam and diesel on the Ruddington model and a very busy Thomas layout which attracted the children. The room was let down by the O Gauge model. This is such an excellent model,with superb scenery, it just lacked movement. The young operator seemed far more interested in his mobile phone than running any trains. What a shame!

Unfortunately, one of the point motors that also switches the track feed developed a dead short Saturday morning and made operating the 7mm layout "Millhouse Lane" rather difficult. We tried to fix this but could only manage a bodged repair to get the layout to simple operate backwards and forwards. It was virtually impossible to run loco's around trains as the troublesome point was smack bang in the middle of the layout! We hoped to have to this fixed by Sunday but we were just far to busy.

Unfortunately, one of the point motors that also switches the track feed developed a dead short Saturday morning and made operating the 7mm layout "Millhouse Lane" rather difficult. We tried to fix this but could only manage a bodged repair to get the layout to simple operate backwards and forwards. It was virtually impossible to run loco's around trains as the troublesome point was smack bang in the middle of the layout! We hoped to have to this fixed by Sunday but we were just far to busy.

Sorry to hear of the problems with the 0 gauge model. These things happen unfortunately. Dare I suggest I notice on the layout describing the problems would have easily explained the issue to visitors - a bit better than someone stood there playing with their mobile phone and seemingly not interested. As a RMWeb user I have been able to find out the problem thanks to you and now sympathise - a member of the general public may not find out the reason and could go away with a less favourable impression.

Thanks for your comments. When I wrote my views I had forgotten the roundhouse layout - my apologies on that. That said its position was at the narrowest part of the walkway so it was difficult to view.

If the attendance was higher on Saturday you definitely were busy, as I felt the Sunday seemed well attended. That is great news for the GC if you secured a good attendance.

As someone who also organises a show on their own (Weston on Trent) I totally appreciate the difficulty of such a task and you have my respect for taking this on. I have a similar problem with securing layouts at times. It does sound like I was unlucky with some of the layouts which happened to be running diesel during my visit when they had run steam earlier in the weekend. It also sounds like I was unfortunate with the trade stand on Sunday. Such a shame the smallholder turned up with different stock on each day. If it is the one I think it is, I suspect they split their resources with one of the other events you mentioned.

Please do not take my comments as pure criticism. I enjoyed my visit and will be there next year. You have done a great job of bringing the show forward from the dire attempt by a previous organiser two years ago. To do that, and on your own, you should take plenty of credit and I take me hat off to you - well done.

Incidentally, as a GC member, I have offered my help with this show in previous years and my offer of help and support still stands.

I can understand your concerns about the narrowness, however if I was to provide you with a digital copy of the available floor space, you will see that all layouts were placed strategically so that the maximum width of the isles were attained. In fairness, the large ScotRail layout was supposed to be elsewhere (the other end of the shed infact) but after a request by the owner was recieved the week before asking if he could drive his caravan into the shed to unload, I redrew the floor plan so he didn't have to walk it too far, as he isn't getting any younger. He said he got the layout out and refurbished it espically for Ruddington, it was the first time the layout had been out for 20 years and after this weekend, it's going back in his loft where it'll stay for the rest of it's life.

Thanks for the offer of help, I will keep it in mind for when I start the planning of 2017, which in theory is my last event although the railway keep trying to twist my arm!

And heres a kettle for you ;)

20160731_163637_zpst5nvrnzl.jpg

I can understand your concerns about the narrowness, however if I was to provide you with a digital copy of the available floor space, you will see that all layouts were placed strategically so that the maximum width of the isles were attained. In fairness, the large ScotRail layout was supposed to be elsewhere (the other end of the shed infact) but after a request by the owner was recieved the week before asking if he could drive his caravan into the shed to unload, I redrew the floor plan so he didn't have to walk it too far, as he isn't getting any younger. He said he got the layout out and refurbished it espically for Ruddington, it was the first time the layout had been out for 20 years and after this weekend, it's going back in his loft where it'll stay for the rest of it's life.

Thanks for the offer of help, I will keep it in mind for when I start the planning of 2017, which in theory is my last event although the railway keep trying to twist my arm!

And heres a kettle for you ;)

20160731_163637_zpst5nvrnzl.jpg

That Scot Rail layout was actually my favourite of the diesel brigade.

• RMweb Premium

The organiser worked really hard to make this event a success, the numbers visiting and some of the features such as Kit Spackman's talks on the APT worked out well overall. I exhibited to support the GCR as my local line and the eventual reunification of North and South halves of the GCR. There are lots of points for improvement for this event and the Ruddington site in general, which has some limitations for a model Rail event, but it's easier to achieve these on the back of an event which pulled in good numbers of visitors with a lot of goodwill towards the GCRN.

Dava

Archived