Level Crossing Construction Advice

Hi all, I've been searching on the forum for a little while now but stuggled to find much so I thought I'd start a fresh topic....

I'm refurbishing my old childhood layout for my children (and me!) to play with again and I'm enjoying getting stuck in with the scenics - one feature I want to update is the level crossing - this crosses three tracks on a curve and was made of balsa and card and also made use of components from the Hornby R645 modern level crossing including the ramps and barriers/lights.

It had suffered over the last 20 years as you can see:

post-27854-0-84171500-1469006291_thumb.jpg

Having taken up and re-laid the track around the layout, here's a quick snap showing how the site looks now:

post-27854-0-64474700-1469006398_thumb.jpg

I'd like to reconstruct the level crossing and had a few specific questions:

1. How have you made up the road infilling the tracks? Because the curves are flexitrack and non-standard radius I think I'll need to scratch build something so any pointers welcome! Or are there any kits or plasticard surfacing you'd recommend?

2. I'd like to represent the wooden triangular section 'planks' (not sure if there is a more technical term!) on the edge of the roadway to stop animals (and people?) getting onto the line - see image here. I'm struggling to find any suitable plastic rod with that triangular section - any ideas?

3. Having been browsing for photographic inspiration here and on the wider web, I was suprised to find the Hornby barriers/lights were actually based on a prototype which amongst other places appears to have been used at the infamous Ufton Nervet crossing in Berkshire - see photo here. Does anyone have any more info about these types of barriers, useful photos, etc? If they are in keeping with my 1980's period I might retain them and detail them a bit.

And finally, I'd love to see photos of the level crossings you've constructed, works in progress, etc!

Cheers,

Chris

You could use some paper to mark out the rails, then use that for a template to cut the new parts from thick card or plasticard. For one of my level crossings, I have used Wills planking, which is not all that easy to cut but forms a strong and rigid infill.

This photo shows the Wills planking plus a little bit of their cobblestones for the approach ramp edges, and one of the thin card templates I made, still in place.

08-06-15%20Level%20Crossing%20Interim%20

post-24049-0-56487200-1469029457.jpg

Similar paper roughing out then cut from Wills Concrete painted black.  Trouble is track rubbers tend to lift the paint.  Note there is a Wills timber footway alongside left in natural colour.  As commenetd above, Wills sheets take some careful cutting.

If you search on YouTube Woodland Scenics have some good videos including one about using their roadway products to construct a level crossing (it is basicly a plaster that you pour in to a mould to create the road surface), I have used it and it is quite good but haven't used it on a level crossing (yet).

Plastruct make triangular rod that would be suitable for use as anti trespass bars (I think thats what they are called), Gaugemaster stock their products and they come in various sizes.

Hope that helps

Mark 

Plastruct do triangle cross-section rod, although they're equilateral triangles, so may not be quite right. 

However, they also do quarter round rod with two flat sides at right angles - you might be able to run the curved side over some wet-and-dry to flatten it and make it into a right angle triangle. 

Thanks everyone!

I've found the plastruct rods a couple of you have mentioned - http://www.plastruct.co.uk/QtrrndrodT2.html

I see what you mean about the triangular one being equilateral, that's a shame but that quarter round profile would probably do the job with a bit of sanding as you say sharris, thanks for the suggestion I think I'll order some.

Will check out the Wills concrete sheet and the Woodland scenics stuff next!

Cheers, Chris

Thanks everyone!

I've found the plastruct rods a couple of you have mentioned - http://www.plastruct.co.uk/QtrrndrodT2.html

I see what you mean about the triangular one being equilateral, that's a shame but that quarter round profile would probably do the job with a bit of sanding as you say sharris, thanks for the suggestion I think I'll order some.

Will check out the Wills concrete sheet and the Woodland scenics stuff next!

Cheers, Chris

Let us know how you get on.  I looked at using Plastruct L angle and a fillet across the open end for the "anti trespass" bits (I thought they were called cattle grids as they were originally designed to stop animals).  However couldn't find any L angle small enough (for OO) bearing in mind it's got to lie below rail height.

Also for what it's worth, I did use also Bachmann CCTV cameras.

BTW, I only did the level crossing(s) and road, the buildings and flora were not my work.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again everyone,

Well my Plastruct rod and Wills sheet arrived so I've made a start!

So far I've been focusing on the anti-trespass planks, see what you think....

First up I'm using the Plastruct 1mm wide quarter round rod - its a 10 pack and each is 26cm long. After a bit of trail and error I decided to cut it into 2cm lengths as it looked 'about right' by eye:

post-27854-0-71866400-1470053888_thumb.jpg

I went for 8 planks between the rails which matched the prototype in most photos and left enough space for the wheel flanges to run through without problems. I'm pretty pleased with the profile and although I did try sanding the round side slightly it really didn't make much difference visually so I stuck with the original profile:

post-27854-0-60854400-1470053892_thumb.jpg

Construction/glueing took place on the track to ensure the correct spacing. Two plasticard braces/frames were blue-tacked onto the sleepers temporarily and I superglued the planks to them:

post-27854-0-34001100-1470053896_thumb.jpg

I've been doing an hour or so over the last few evenings - they go together pretty quickly and look great when painted (I will be ballasting beneath them, they just resting there at present):

post-27854-0-97710600-1470053905_thumb.jpg

post-27854-0-78580300-1470053909_thumb.jpg

post-27854-0-66486500-1470053913_thumb.jpg

Overall I'm pleased how they're turing out - simple, cheap and effective (like me!)

A little bit more to do and I'll post another update when I move onto the roadway using the Wills sheets.

Cheers,

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Those Cattle Guards (as the P-way lads round here call them) are looking better than the ones out lads knock together from Harris Rail.....

The road surface on these style crossings are made from Bomacs, which are metal trays filled with concrete/tarmac. Have a look in my gallery pages for pictures of the crossing outside the box here, just imagine the gates are barriers!

Andy G

Hah thanks Andy!

A google search for 'Bomac railway' brings up lots of useful images - the concrete ones are just what I was hoping to represent so thanks for the pointer - will check out your gallery too!

Cheers, Chris

EDIT - just looked at your photos, really helpful thanks!

Archived