Hunterston to ravenscraig

In 1988 to 1992

Hunterston terminal use Iron Ore and coal for British steel ?

Later British steel closed down by stop use iron ore and carry on use coal for power station?

Quite correct on both counts, coal and iron ore were imported through Hunterston from March 1980, having previously been handled at General Terminus Quay and Rothesay Dock in Glasgow.  The opening of the facility was delayed by industrial action.  Following closure of the steelworks in 1992, all imports of iron ore ceased, but coal continued to be imported for the power generation industry although this is also now in decline, currently there are only a couple of services a week to Fiddlers Ferry.  See this page for some photographs of the trains.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080907031546/http://www.jhowie.f9.co.uk/mossendore.html

Jim

Yes that is pretty much the history 
However the trains also served : 
Dalzell plant 
Clydebridge plant 
Clyde Iron (part of Clydebridge plant) 

Almost all the movements were Iron Ore between Hunterston and Ravenscraig 
The trains could took slightly different routes between Polmadie and Ravenscraig, due to the difference between their weights empty and full, and which plant they were serving 
Eastbound (to Ravenscraig) via Mossend 
Westcound (to Hunterston) via Uddingston or via Mossend 

All the Iron Ore was delivered to Ravenscraig 
If other plants required Iron Ore it was delivered by road (rail transport ended some time in the 1970s) 

The majority of the coal traffic was between locations in Ayrshire and Ravenscraig 
There was at least one shorter formation of HAA coal wagons, and this would deliver coal to the Dalzell plant (typically hauled by a pair of Class 20 locomotives) 

When Ravenscraig closed Hunterston was briefly mothballed and became derelict looking 
Equally, the coal traffic had already swapped from the Ayrshire coal pits to the terminal (dock) 
However, local environmental concerns swapped the importing of coal to Hunterston 

Yes that is pretty much the history 

However the trains also served : 

Dalzell plant 

Clydebridge plant 

Almost all the movements were Iron Ore between Hunterston and Ravenscraig 

The trains could took slightly different routes between Polmadie and Ravenscraig, due to the difference between their weights empty and full, and which plant they were serving 

Eastbound (to Ravenscraig) via Mossend 

Westcound (to Hunterston) via Uddingston or via Mossend 

All the Iron Ore was delivered to Ravenscraig 

If other plants required Iron Ore it was delivered by road (rail transport ended some time in the 1970s) 

The majority of the coal traffic was between locations in Ayrshire and Ravenscraig 

There was at least one shorter formation of HAA coal wagons, and this would deliver coal to the Dalzell plant (typically hauled by a pair of Class 20 locomotives) 

When Ravenscraig closed Hunterston was briefly mothballed and became derelict looking 

Equally, the coal traffic had already swapped from the Ayrshire coal pits to the terminal (dock) 

However, local environmental concerns swapped the importing of coal to Hunterston 

Trains from Hunterston would never have served Dalzell, Clydebridge or Clyde Iron.  Dalzell and Clydebridge are rolling mills and do not require raw materials, taking semi-finished steel from other Steelworks since the 1960s, Clyde Iron was closed in the 1977.

Jim

Clydebridge plant 

Just to clarify the history of Clyde Iron and Clydebridge, they were originally an independent iron making plant and an independent steel making and rolling plant facing each other across the Clyde.

Colvilles acquired Clydebridge in 1915 and Clyde Iron in 1931. They built a 'hot metal' bridge linking the works by rail across the Clyde and, operating together, they were Scotland's only integrated plant until Ravenscraig opened.

Clyde Iron was an important and innovative plant closing, as Jim points out, in 1977 so never received ore from Hunterston. It had been supplied with ore from General Terminus in its later years. Clydebridge ceased steelmaking at the same time and continued as a rolling mill for some years. It still operates today as a heat treatment plant for plate from Dalzell.

In the early sixties, and before the introduction of the 2 Class 20's, the iron ore trains ran from General Terminus in Glasgow to Ravenscraig with a WD 2-8-0 and a WD 2-10-0, double headed, in charge of the 28 wagon fully fitted train + brake van at each end.  Out to Ravenscraig via Rutherglen Junction / Carmyle / Coatbridge and returning empty on West Coast main line via Uddingston.  Sadly I have no photos of these trains but well remember the sound of them passing my house.   I understand later trains had Class 37s in charge.

The attached photos from my own collection are at Carmyle and show an NBL 2 passing the Clydebridge and Clyde Iron  Works and the photo with BR 76102 shows the iron ore unloading facility in the background.  Both date from 1962.  Apologies for the quality of the images - home processed all those years ago!

post-1767-0-00248200-1469808572_thumb.jpg

post-1767-0-69309100-1469808588_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

There was a photograph of a pair of WDs on an ore train from General Terminus in an issue of British Railways Illustrated (IIRC) some while back. They were working hard lifting the train up around a curve to join a main line, I cannot recall the location, not far from General Terminus, but it was a very impressive image.

In the first photo, the smaller structure to the left is the coal crushing house, to the right, the structure with the very tall silos, is the coal blending plant and behind it, just visible to its left, is the coke ovens service bunker.

The building in the far distance is part of the ore processing/sinter plant facility.

Interesting photos.

• RMweb Premium

Were the PTA tipplers introduced with the move to Hunterston?

As they were also used in S Wales, were they a BSC-led requirement/design or something that was already available?

There was a photograph of a pair of WDs on an ore train from General Terminus in an issue of British Railways Illustrated (IIRC) some while back. They were working hard lifting the train up around a curve to join a main line, I cannot recall the location, not far from General Terminus, but it was a very impressive image.

That sounds like a picture that appears in "An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways" by Smith and Anderson. It's taken over the back of the platforms at Shields Road and shows 90616 and 90199 curving round from General Terminus to head towards Gushetfaulds.

I thought Polmadie's Stanier 8Fs were meant for use on the ore trains, but I've never seen a picture of any of them on that service. In fact, I can't remember seeing any picture at all of them actually in service from Polmadie. If anyone can point me to one, I'd be delighted. (I do know of pictures of them at Polmadie and Parkhead after their first withdrawal.)

Edit - found a picture of an 8F at Polmadie! - http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p869087844/h227092F#h227092f

Edited by pH

Were the PTA tipplers introduced with the move to Hunterston?

As they were also used in S Wales, were they a BSC-led requirement/design or something that was already available?

They were. The original design was introduced for the Immingham- Scunthorpe flow in 1971, built by BREL Shildon, and fitted with FBT6 bogies. These were followed by much larger deliveries for Teesside,and Llanwern (1972 onwards) and Ravenscraig (1976). These had modified bodies, axle-motion bogies and were built by RDL on Teesside.

From plans I've seen, it appears there were two ore terminals at Hunterston; a low-level one next to the coast, and a high-level one inland.

Thank you Arthur for letting us know what the various steelworks structures were built for in #10 - sadly now all gone.  

And thanks pH for reminding me that the 66A Polmadie Stanier 8F 2-8-0's 48773 / 74 / 75 were definitely used for this traffic coupled to the WD's.  As a local trainspotter I recall seeing them on these iron ore trains.

Where was the iron ore imported from in the early days (the 1950s)?

Thanks,

Bill

According to this - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Terminus_and_Glasgow_Harbour_Railway , from Sweden, North Africa and Newfoundland.

The 'Akka', a ship bringing ore from Sweden to General Terminus sank in 1956 after hitting The Gantocks off Dunoon - http://www.rod-macdonald.co.uk/index.php/Scottish-Wrecks/mv-akka.html .

• RMweb Premium

They were. The original design was introduced for the Immingham- Scunthorpe flow in 1971, built by BREL Shildon, and fitted with FBT6 bogies. These were followed by much larger deliveries for Teesside,and Llanwern (1972 onwards) and Ravenscraig (1976). These had modified bodies, axle-motion bogies and were built by RDL on Teesside.

From plans I've seen, it appears there were two ore terminals at Hunterston; a low-level one next to the coast, and a high-level one inland.

Thank you very much for the info - i was aware of the Llanwern triple-headers but didn't realise there were other flows too.

Incidentally, can anyone give a rough idea of how intensive the Ravenscraig service was? Just interested in what was pretty much a very heavy MGR for the ore

Edited by keefer

Thank you very much for the info - i was aware of the Llanwern triple-headers but didn't realise there were other flows too.

Incidentally, can anyone give a rough idea of how intensive the Ravenscraig service was? Just interested in what was pretty much a very heavy MGR for the ore.

I recall in the late fifties and into the sixties it was probably once a day Monday to Friday - can't remember any Saturday services - and being Scotland and the Sabbath - I don't recall any iron ore trains on Sundays! 

Well, roughly, Ravenscraigs three blast furnaces were each capable of producing around 1250t of iron per day, typical for their type, so say 3,500t per day, they wouldn't run at maximum capacity all the time.

1,227,500t per year which would be about right for Ravenscraigs overall steelmaking capacity, iron from the blast furnaces being supplemented with scrap in the steel plant.

The imported ores would contain 50 to 60% iron so the works would consume, give or take, 6,000 to 7000t of ore per day. If they were importing partially treated or 'beneficated' ores with a higher iron content then maybe 5,500t per day.

I'd say something around 6,000t per day wouldn't be far out. That's a ballpark figure but gives an idea.

Of course the works held tens of thousands of tons of ore in stockpiles so 6000t/day is the average to keep the place running. I guess the rail service varied as ore carriers arrived and left and even and to keep the Sabbath.

given this thread, here a few shots of mine from within the loading tower at Hunterston and the unloading point at Ravenscraig (also an ore train arriving)and the Ravenscraig coal yard. Also attached a pair of 37s with empty ore wagons storming through Holytown to Hunterston. Will post up some other pictures later of the workings between Hunterston and Ravenscraig. Max Fowler

post-9544-0-87039700-1470068346_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-93874700-1470068473_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-47680600-1470068480_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-23123300-1470068496_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-57916300-1470068505_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-45745200-1470068682_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but find this fascinating. Great shots Max.

How many wagons were on the iron ore and coal workings from Hunterston to Ravenscraig? I seem to recall that 21 and 42 vehicles respectively were the maximums for the triple headed power up the hill from Mossend, but did they actual load to that number? I’m guessing motive power was all unrefurbished 37/0s from Motherwell? The 56s presumably wouldn’t have been seen in Ayrshire until after the Works closed, I’m guessing only being used on the power station traffic?

Rich

Towards the end of this video (taken by me) there is an empty ore train, unusually routed via Mossend, I could 21 wagons.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ47SReq68g

I waited all day that day for a triple header and came up blank, but I did get a lot of variety!  There are 5 videos in the series, they should run one after the other.

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Like 4