Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Small radio controlled trucks

Guest bri.s

Sorry about the link to a link but only way I could post

Some nice RC jcb's and a skip truck delivering a skip not sure of scale though but smallest I've seen

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Great little trucks. Miniature versions of the big chaps that we used to see perform in a big construction site at Brighton Modelex. That regrettably has now passed into history - because of falling attendances apparently - but it was plenty crowded when we went to the last one earlier this year.

There's a whole thread, running to 20+ pages on r/c at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/228-radio-control/

why couldn't we try involving more general modelling and RC modelling at exhibitions, surley it would help all aspects of  modelling and keep or get more youngsters interested thus keeping these hobbies alive with fresh newcomers and ideas.

These have huge amounts of potential but to me realistically at an exhibition you are going to need an operator for the trains and one for the road vehicles.  I really love this idea though, although I am not sure about the JCB shovelling sand idea on a model railway layout, its got the potential to go everywhere, the idea of loading wagons for real in a goods yard really does appeal to me.

I have a couple of Herpa trucks I bought for just this kind of conversion using r/c equipment from Deltang  - the 7 channel receivers I have are about the size of my little finger nail and the little LiPo batteries are not much bigger ! A lot of the conversion is done using Faller steering parts and gearbox/axle assemblies from their automated roadway system - I had to give up on them when I realized I needed glasses ! Must get back to them now I have had me new 'windows' fitted !

I'll post a pic of one I started when I can get into the loft to get at it !

Regards,

Andi

• 3 weeks later...

What i would like to see/have is a  shunting tractor as used by industry all over. I work in 7mm and I guess it should be possible to get the gubbins into a tractor outline with the two buffing [plates at the front and rear. Anyone working on this ?

Martin Long

Thanks  -  THAT looks amazing.

It does  SEEM  that the rear could be shortened between the rear wheels and rear light assembly - do you think so ?

Is  the body essentially empty, or does it house the battery ?

That's seriously an impressive bit of gear, that.  Looking forward to it.

Body is isn't quite empty, some of chip/decoder and poss r/c receiver attached.......but looks movable, yes poss will be able to shorten but I think the fire engine one is a touch shorter...not the 6 wheel airport type one!

Wheelbase is shorter than a Faller CS truck....close if not the same as the short wheelbase base toys tucks....you may see where I'm heading here! When I've got the Manchester show out of the way I'll get int it a bit more, but I'll have it with me there....not running, if anyone is interested. I'd expect its exhibition debut to be at the Doncaster show in Feb, it should add chaos to the other moving stuff on the layout....FCS, Magnorail, trams etc!

I'll prob start a new topic when I get going with it properly either as a thread on on my blog.

looks interesting but not cheap.

instruction manual is online here

https://www.wiking.de/uploads/assets/en/product_document_729_1.pdf

The Siku control32 system I think is similar. The RC unit says Wiking and Siku on it. The Siku tractors are 1/32 scale so might suit other big scales. They are also cheaper.

looks interesting but not cheap.

instruction manual is online here

https://www.wiking.de/uploads/assets/en/product_document_729_1.pdf

The Siku control32 system I think is similar. The RC unit says Wiking and Siku on it. The Siku tractors are 1/32 scale so might suit other big scales. They are also cheaper.

There are two versions of the Siku controller.

Quick net searches reveal very little information, so I assume scratch  built or modified die-cast items, apart from the Wiking ones. In the video there was a Wynn's heavy haulage Scamell, I assume a conversion from die cast. The miniature radio is no problem, I fly micro sub peanut sized aircraft that use them, but getting gears and motors for this HO stuff must be difficult. The tiny coreless motors would do, but transmissions in this size are just a bit too complex, apart from the camera micro motors on ebay at present.

Stephen..

Motor and gearbox solutions are usually of the Faller type for their Roadway system - Deltang ( http://www.deltang.co.uk/  ) receivers have built in motor controllers so no need for any extra circuit boards - all you need is the Deltang receiver, micro LiPo battery and a micro servo for steering - couple that with the steerable front axle assembly and motor/gearbox assembly from the Faller Roadway vehicles and a connector for charging the battery and solder it all together ! All of this is small enough to fit into the cab of an articulated truck, meaning you can drive the cab around without its trailer ! When I say this stuff is small, I mean SMALL ! A soldering iron with a 1mm tip is very useful !

Pics below -:

The truck I started with - lots of space to test my build methods !

post-30166-0-60967900-1480690792_thumb.jpg

Motor/gearbox and servo installed - 

post-30166-0-96505000-1480690797_thumb.jpg

All the components needed ( except the steering front axle)

post-30166-0-48606100-1480690805_thumb.jpg

Yes, that is a 7 channel rx and yes, it is 12mm square !

post-30166-0-11689600-1480690812_thumb.jpg

Underside of truck showing servo and motr/gearbox placement - 

post-30166-0-26930100-1480690819_thumb.jpg

1/87 scale rc trucks are big ( or not depending on your view !) in Germany, many being built with all this and lighting installed into cabs this size, with working connections to trailers to operate tippers, etc.

post-30166-0-65678100-1480690825_thumb.jpg

Diagram of the steering axle assembly

post-30166-0-39114600-1480690830_thumb.jpg

Check out these two websites for parts - 

www.sol-expert-group.de/1-87-model-building:::48.html?XTCsid=0t5vmi2h2v7h1fpfn7vltre7b2

www.1zu87modellbau.de

Both German, but, English versions available.

Archived