French P.L.M. 0-6-0 "Cou cou" Shunting "Box" Tanks No. 1901-80

844fan

Hey everyone,

I was surfing Flickr the other day looking at some of the images Sir_Douglas (Sam) has been favoriteing and I just happen to have come across this little Engine.

5772817490_34b5135878_z.jpg

At the time I had no inkling it was a French Loco so I made a post in the Overseas Prototypes sub forum to see what I could learn on it. Northroader told me that it was a model built by Richard Chown and that it was quite a prolific little loco on the P.L.M. of France and also linked me a few pictures of the locos through the years.

One of a later design that hadn't the "Box" Tanks like the one above.

post-26540-0-83560100-1488118684.jpg

and one closer to the one modeled above.

post-26540-0-17320300-1488196771.jpg

Knowing it was of french origin I thought I'd move the Discussion and research over to the proper section. It is quite funny that two locos I am fond of both come from French speaking areas. One a Belgian Pannier and the other being these I also was told that the term "Cou cou" is common for shunting engines in France sort of like "Jinty' and "Pug" are used in Scotland and the UK at large for tank engines both 0-6-0 and 0-4-0. Funnily enough the Valence on the front was the french equivalent of the GWR Shunting wagons you would see coupled constantly attached to the front of the Panniers and other engines for easier shunting a nice idea but I do wonder how comfortable for the shunter. 

Anyway my first new question is what foundry built them and what were their specs like wheel size, Boiler diameter and such. 

http://wikiplm.railsdautrefois.fr/wikiPLM/index.php?title=Type_030_T

gives more details of the lots produced in this range.  I cannot however at first glance find who were the constructors.

Edit:  yes I can.  first line for the first two lots at least says Koechlin

Absolutely excellent my friend. Love how they have plan diagrams for them that will quite helpful.

• RMweb Premium

Rails d'Autrefois is a fabulous resource.

I wish the UK societies could drum up an equivalent, but they probably think that keeping "their" information behind a membership firewall helps recruit memebers.  I can only say that I am now a simple member (as opposed to full voting rights member) of Rails d'Autrefois in least in part because of the information available and the interest that that information generates.  This gets me 2 half yearly journals plus an annual "special".

Now if only the pre-grouping UK societies could get together in such a way and make their information public in the same way, I am sure that it would increase their membership levels as interest would be stimulated, rather than the knowledge protected for members only.

OK rant over.

Edit:  yes I can.  first line for the first two lots at least says Koechlin

There was a chap (in France?) doing some very nice P87 models of this type in a variety of styles, but I think they're not available nowadays. they were not cheap as they were basically an etched kit he had designed and built. Don't think they were ever offered as a kit - I certainly would have bought one.

Rails d'Autrefois is a fabulous resource.

I wish the UK societies could drum up an equivalent, but they probably think that keeping "their" information behind a membership firewall helps recruit memebers.  I can only say that I am now a simple member (as opposed to full voting rights member) of Rails d'Autrefois in least in part because of the information available and the interest that that information generates.  This gets me 2 half yearly journals plus an annual "special".

Now if only the pre-grouping UK societies could get together in such a way and make their information public in the same way, I am sure that it would increase their membership levels as interest would be stimulated, rather than the knowledge protected for members only.

OK rant over.

Indeed it is. I just wish I could read French I have to use Google's Translation setup and it's not 100% accurate to what is said.

Also I fully agree that a good set of database/wikis should be made for pregrouping networks not horded like a pile of Acorns for a family of squirrels. I can understand things from newer publications of books not being put in as that is a copyright problem waiting to happen but for anything from that line of modeling thats hard to find put it within those who love your railway's fingertips. It's a good way to keep modeling of those older railways happening and not fade into obscurity.

Also being from the US I have to say the same kind of stuff needs to happen for our locos and our brothers to the north's locos. I really wish I could find more info on R&S 15 (It's company name is hard to remember at this hour. I made a topic ages ago on it and never heard anything about it so if your interested just check my posted threads.)

There was a chap (in France?) doing some very nice P87 models of this type in a variety of styles, but I think they're not available nowadays. they were not cheap as they were basically an etched kit he had designed and built. Don't think they were ever offered as a kit - I certainly would have bought one.

Such a pitty but I'm sure the detail was great for them. Absolutely agree if they had been kits I'd of tried my hardest to grab one too.

Such a pitty but I'm sure the detail was great for them. Absolutely agree if they had been kits I'd of tried my hardest to grab one too.

Remembered the name - Gerard Huet.

http://ffmf.nord.free.fr/pagesclubs/cercle-du-zero/24-CDZ/cercleduzero24.htm

http://proto87.team.pagesperso-orange.fr/index.html

Might be worth an email to see if he has any left ..........

Gerard retired in 2010.

I don't think anyone took over the range.

Such a pitty. I do wonder if anyone were interested whether he would teach them the way of making the etching and building of the loco. It would just be a shame for this art not to be passed down to another.

Archived