Baldastard - changing history

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Background:

Well, here I go again with another layout project although this time I hope to get it nearer to completion.  For some time I had completely lost the enthusiasm to build anything, though I did waste both time and money collecting random bits'n'pieces.  All that is now gone, and I have some focus for once.  First though, I need to blame a couple of folk for ideas and inspiration; there are Ian Futers' simple Scottish lines; then there are some of the folk on here who have built very simple, yet highly effective, small model railways (e.g. Juniper Hill); finally there's the following book:

post-16293-0-19315100-1490463235.jpg

This is where I got the idea for the name.  It's a real place, and once even had a siding.  I also like layout names that have a sense of humour.  As a fan of 'The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy' I quite liked the late Douglas Adams' idea of using a name that sounded definitely rude but actually was not (that said, if the name is regarded as too risque then I will change it to something suitably dull).

Idea:

The aim is to build a small shunting layout (around 6'x1') to test a few ideas and techniques.  The setting will be around 1967 along the former Lochty branch but with history re-written.  The time and general location will allow for a range of shunters and smaller freight only mainline locomotives.  The layout will be freight only.  Buildings will be scratchbuilt, and based on local prototypes (e.g. the goods office from Largoward; houses typical of those in the local mining communities, etc).

Trackplan:

As there didn't seem to be anything suitable at the actual location, I plan to rework a prototype plan from somewhere else.

Next steps:

Hopefully the next couple of weeks will see some progress as regards design, particularly the track plan.

For the moment, thanks for taking the time to read this post.  Any suggestions for trackplans, resources, etc, are appreciated.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks, everyone, for their comments and 'likes'.

Jim (Bon Accord) - the date conveniently allows me to avoid mainline steam as I would need to kit build, and that's a range of skills I do not yet possess.  That said, if someone released a rtr J36, then time would move.  Kit building skills would also tempt me to consider Judith Edge kits for a Barclay 06, or the relevant NB 4w diesel.

Locomotives (general):

At the moment I have a couple of Hunslet 05s, with a third on order; all operated in either Fife or the Lothians during the period.  I have a Hornby 08 awaiting a repaint and renumber into green as one of the half dozen at Dunfermilne Upper or the two at Thornton in late '67 (the body variations on the model are correct for these).  At some point a blue D83xx series (new to Haymarket) and a Clayton would be on the list.  A two-tone green 25/2 would be good too.  All that said, I am trying not to collect too many locos.

Locomotives (prototype):

As well as the ex-NBR types, I only seem to have pics of the Hunslets, and a Std 4 2-6-0 (IIRC 76111) all of which seem be taken on or before '63.

I hope all that makes some kind of sense.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

I now have some thoughts about a track-plan; this will now incorporate a little stretch of the branch.  Additionally, I am looking at a small, off scene, sector plate to provide the end of a run-round loop.  Once details are finalised I'll post a sketch.

Inspired by some of Ian Futers' 'Border Counties Railway' layouts in 4mm scale, and Juniper Hill on this forum (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70516-juniper-hill/), I am looking at some reasonably bleak scenics with only a handful of buildings.  As already said, the goods office will be that at Largoward.

So far the only negative is the nagging doubt that the layout will provide enough interest in terms of stock.  As I am already rewriting history I have no qualms about running non-prototypical stock such as Haymarket based Clayotns, 20s, and 25/2s - all freight only locomotives, and in a variety of liveries too.  Anything bigger would look silly.

Again, thanks for reading.  Hopefully the next post will include a track diagram.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

No developments to report, sadly.  This is mostly down to the last couple of weeks being rather hectic with work (this is about the busiest time of my working year).

An interesting idea is that one of my friends has tried to persuade me to try this idea out in '0'; showing me pre-production pictures of the forthcoming Heljan 05 has made this very tempting .....

Regards,

Alex.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of the comments, etc.

On 27th April 2017 I posted that I'd had a major change of heart and direction, and that this could be found in another thread. 

Since then the basic idea has hung around, and I keep coming back to it.  Since the release of the Hornby J36 I have been tempted to go back and have another look but this time setting the layout in the latter 1950s as it's an era I particularly like.  I also had another look through the Oakwood press book mentioned in the opening post.  i have scribbled down a few more ideas, and will post some more in the coming week.  (This update was done on 14th June 2019.)

Again, thanks for all your comments and support.

Regards,

Alex.

Edited by Alex TM
Update to show changed thoughts over time.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi again,

As said previously, on a number of threads, I have been impressed and inspired by a number of layout ideas that have been very simple in design, small in size, yet first class in their execution.  In particular I think of 'Juniper Hill', 'Pott Row', and 'Sheep Lane', though there are many more.  What I am hoping to do here is follow somewhere in their footsteps.

Today I have acquired a pair of British Railways liveried Hornby J36s; they've been run in, and one of them has already lost its name and number.  I've also picked up a couple of short wheelbase ex-LNER brakes, and will pick up some Peco/Parkside kits tomorrow.

As for a reason for the line, I am thinking about coal and agricultural produce, as per the original East Fife Central.

Having just started a new job this Tuesday, I'll be rather busy with that so initial progress will be slow.  That said, another update should follow during the coming week.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Great name, I also looked at this and at Largoward, Ian Futers has modelled Lochty though I did build a goods office in 7mm scale and there is a thread on that. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dava,

I remember looking at your model of the Largoward office building; it's a cracking piece of work.  That's the building that someone here (you?) put up links to on the local authority website; the building was subject to planning consent in respect of redevelopment.

I opted for the name so as to suggest an area but without being tied to building a specific place, the reason being that I don't have much space.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Some productive work today.  One of the J36s is now renumbered as 65345; this is one of the class that is shown in the East Fife book.  The photo shows her with the late logo on the tender, however I have chosen to leave the early one in place.

Thanks again for reading.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi again everyone,

It's been a busy few months, mostly down to the change of post and the associated house move.  Although I have had precious little time to do any modelling, I have found a few odd moments to doodle some ideas.  I've also had the chance to reflect on what really interests me.  Although the late 50s, with its mix of pre-grouping and modern steam traction, coupled to the introduction of the Modernisation Plan diesels, fascinates me it really doesn't excite me in modelling terms.  For that reason I am looking at starting a Mk2 version of the plan, and for that to be set more recently than the original idea. 

All being well a new thread will be started in the next couple of weeks.  It will feature transition diesel liveries, and DCC control, code 75 track, and large radius points .....

As ever, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 3