Bachmann Crab 32-176 No 42765

atticombe

I have a new Bachmann Crab No 42765 and wish to fit a decoder. However I cannot get the body off the chassis having unscrewed the two fixing screws. The drawbar seems to be the problem which prevents the rear section being lifted out, I had thought that the drawbar would release when the rear screw was removed but this is not the case.

Any suggestions please or help would be greatly appreciated

Michael 

Edited by atticombe

Michael, if you are sure that the securing screws are all removed, then - gently - use the drawbar as a lever to start moving the mechanism out of the body. As soon as there is a little movement the drawbar will come free from the boss inside on which it pivots, and may then be withdrawn allowing the body to lift clear of the mechanism. The majority - and possibly all? - Bachmann tender locos from the start of the Blue riband introductions have this feature of the drawbar through a slot in the body engaging body to mechanism; until the 9F was introduced.

Thanks for your reply,

I have followed your suggestion without a positive result, the body will lift about one half millimetre before locking against the frame but no amount of cajoling will free the drawbar. I now await a phone call from Bachmann as to the reason why. I have never had this problem before with the two Jubilees that I own.

Michael 

One of two things then. Either the front securing screw above the pony truck wheelset is still in place, or the close fitting metal parts of chassis and body are binding on each other. (Sometimes Bach's steam models are assembled with the paint still soft enough that they are 'tacked' together; had a real wrestling match with all the Ivatt 4F 2-6-0s I have opened as a result of this.)

Thank you once again, having followed your advice I find that there is movement throughout the chassis/body lots at the front virtually little at the rear where the drawbar just will not release, neither Bachmann or the retailer can understand why. Each said return the loco for replacement, this I have done and hopefully the new loco will not have the same problem.

Michael 

• 1 month later...

Thank you once again, having followed your advice I find that there is movement throughout the chassis/body lots at the front virtually little at the rear where the drawbar just will not release, neither Bachmann or the retailer can understand why. Each said return the loco for replacement, this I have done and hopefully the new loco will not have the same problem.

Michael 

I have just purchased 32-176 off ebay, and cannot shift the body either. It is obviously second hand, so would Bachmann entertain sorting it out?