APT-S Configurations

FPH 603

• 4 weeks later...

However I can only find a very basic drawing on this page:

http://www.apt-p.com/APTConfigurations.htm

If anyone knows anything about this could they please help. Any would be appreciated.

See below scan from Tomorrows Train Today for a representation of the APT-S driving power vehicle

http://www.apt-p.com/TTT21.htm

I will look out a better scan for you if needed. (on my other PC)

Rob

www.APT-P.com

• RMweb Gold

The class 91+MK4 was really "stepson of APT." I think it was never designated as such because BR saw the APT brand as tainted. The stock was designed to be retrofitted with tilt equipment, and had a profile to allow tilting up to either 4 or 6 degrees, can't remember which. In concept, the IC225 bears a similarity to the SJ X2, which is also a power car at one end and driving trailer at the other.

Whereas the APT made extensive use of aluminium car bodies, articulation and had the excellent HK brake, IC225 stuck with steel bodies, air operated disc brakes, and is non-articulated. The class 91 borrowed from the APT in that the traction motors are fully body-mounted, driving the wheels through cardan shafts. The APT used the same layout, except the traction motors were mounted inside the power car body, whereas in a 91 they are suspended from the underside of the body.

Edited by rodent279

• RMweb Gold

The class 91+MK4 was really "stepson of APT." I think it was never designated as such because BR saw the APT brand as tainted. The stock was designed to be retrofitted with tilt equipment, and had a profile to allow tilting up to either 4 or 6 degrees, can't remember which. In concept, the IC225 bears a similarity to the SJ X2, which is also a power car at one end and driving trailer at the other.

Whereas the APT made extensive use of aluminium car bodies, articulation and had the excellent HK brake, IC225 stuck with steel bodies, air operated disc brakes, and is non-articulated. The class 91 borrowed from the APT in that the traction motors are fully body-mounted, driving the wheels through cardan shafts. The APT used the same layout, except the traction motors were mounted inside the power car body, whereas in a 91 they are suspended from the underside of the body.

The Hydro-Kinetic brake was excellent when it worked properly but it was flawed, it suffered badly from corrosion and pressure issues.  The cardan shaft idea was never a great one as it suffered from vibration at high speed but it solved the problem of unslung weight on the axles and bogies.

Edited by jools1959

• RMweb Gold

The Hydro-Kinetic brake was excellent when it worked properly but it was flawed, it suffered badly from corrosion and pressure issues. The cardan shaft idea was never a great one as it suffered from vibration at high speed but it solved the problem of unslung weight on the axles and bogies.

The main problem with the HK brake, as I understand it, is than you can't control wheel slide as effectively as you can with a friction brake. Reason being that the HK brake develops braking torque by filling a drum up, in which the two sets of rotor blades rotate. Filling and emptying the drum takes time, it can't be done any where near as quickly as you can apply & release an air brake.

As for the cardan shafts, in the class 91 and in Pendos & Voyagers, the drive from the traction motors to the final drive is via a cardan shaft, but they are shorter, because they are not mounted in the body.

• Like 1