Hybrid DMU formations

I run a 105/108 hybrid as my representation of the mixed bag of DMUs that used to run in Central Scotland in the 80s, especially following the fire at Ayr depot.

This is the best photo I have of the unit unfortunately. The 105 power car at the rear has now been repainted blue/grey.

post-7247-0-56874400-1517330376_thumb.jpg

Part of the problem mixing and matching DMUs is Bachmann's change in coupler design some years ago when they brought out the 101. Otherwise, I'd probably have a fair few more hybrids running on the layout. I also run a 122/108 lash-up but that's not quite the same thing of course.

• Like 4

Hybrid formations were very common for us in the Dundee area. The sheds there would put together whatever was running, so providing a mixed bag of colour schemes (all blue/white & blue/blue & grey) and unit classes.  Single car units were often press-ganged into three car sets. I notice on Railcar.co.uk they have a picture of a class 122 with a 105 and a 101 at Lochmuir on the Dundee to Edinburgh line. That sort of makeup was not at all unusual, in fact, it was quite regular.

John

Has any one made a hybrid DMU formation?

On www.railcar.co.uk there is a nice combination of a class 108 DMCL, class 110 TS(L) and a class 101 DMBS.

It would get mixed comments at exhibitions. I guess a photo would need to be carried to prove it!

I have that exact combination for a layout that was never made. The Hornby 110 centre car needs properly profiling and the Limby 101 really needs new underfloor detailing (Class 128 spares bought from Howes to assist) but the whole set is certainly different.

If you want my set (along with some underframe/engine/gearbox etc spares) and fancy a bit of modelling drop me a p.m. and we'll see what we can do.

The following are not my photos:

post-7112-0-83519000-1517331627_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-75000800-1517331628_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2

Has anyone done a second generation hybrid as in the 150/1+150/2 mix or 156 + 158 which occurred when unit shortages were made worse after collision damage or also the 150/1 + 150/2 +150/1 and the 3 car 156s which were used when strengthened sets were required.

Thanks for you quick replies!

I am only researching the idea at the moment, so do not need any models. Thanks for the offer Flood. ( I thought you only knew about carriages! )

I think the main problem is coupling up different manufacturers units. Not too bad with tension lock types. But when it comes to electrical interconnections, home made adaptions are required.

.........and the Limby 101 really needs new underfloor detailing (Class 128 spares bought from Howes to assist) but the whole set is certainly different.

There isn’t anything much from a 128 underframe that is reusable on a Met Cam and there’s no reason to replace anything. Just cut out the infilling that creates the box for the weight, add the fuel tanks and add a few bits of wire for fuel fillers, exhausts etc.

I do like a good hybrid DMU.  There aren't many options in N gauge but I can run a hybrid 101/108 courtesy of Graham Farish, add a dummy Dapol 121/122 to the above or substitute a motorised Dapol 121/122 for a power car.  Hopefully one day there will be a high-density 3-car DMU (116/117) to run with my single car DMUs or to mix and match with the 101s (I think Tysley did the same with the real things).

• RMweb Gold

I run a 105/108 hybrid as my representation of the mixed bag of DMUs that used to run in Central Scotland in the 80s, especially following the fire at Ayr depot.

This is the best photo I have of the unit unfortunately. The 105 power car at the rear has now been repainted blue/grey.

attachicon.gifWaverley Bridge 3.jpg

Part of the problem mixing and matching DMUs is Bachmann's change in coupler design some years ago when they brought out the 101. Otherwise, I'd probably have a fair few more hybrids running on the layout. I also run a 122/108 lash-up but that's not quite the same thing of course.

Oo look a bus on a bridge...

• RMweb Gold

On the WR we ran our sets in sets (Tyseley apart, and that had defected to the dark side of the LMR), though there were some good mix'n'match trains running around in the late 80s and many sets had lost their trailers to become power twins.  It was a bit of a culture shock for me to visit my sister in Selby in the mid 60s to see Neville Hill's more freestyle approach, Metro-Cammell, Craven, and BRCW mixed happily in single trains.  Only the Trans-Pennines and Calder Valley sets seemed inviolate.  

I reckon that, as well as my repeated wishlisting for a Swindon 3-car cross country, a BRCW 3- or 4-car unit would sell well if anyone out there is looking for a prototype to put in their red or blue boxes...

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Premium

There was the 100+105 hybrid set which lasted well into the 80s around the Manchester Area,

15953427575_714cba1340_b.jpg53355 100 + 53812 105 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

While over on the ScR I recall 105+101 hybrids of some variety (with the 105 cars in blue/grey, the only Cravens carts so painted) 

In the early-80s, it wasn't unknown for a Trans-Pennine power car failure to be replaced with a 101 or 104 DMC/DMBS,

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

When I worked for central trains they had a couple of 153/156 hybrids from time to time when the 156s had been involved in accidents.

Both times it was the no2 dog box cabs facing outwards

• Like 1