Digitrax LNWI

barrymx5

Digitrax launched LNWI as a simplified way of connecting Digitrax to a PC. My efforts to connect to JMRI on a PC via PR3 have failed dismally to date with problems of drivers, incorrect ports etc. LNWI was my hope of overcoming these problems and using my iPhone as a throttle. Is LNWI legal in UK? Do I ignore restrictions and purchase in USA ? Help please.

Digitrax launched LNWI as a simplified way of connecting Digitrax to a PC. My efforts to connect to JMRI on a PC via PR3 have failed dismally to date with problems of drivers, incorrect ports etc. LNWI was my hope of overcoming these problems and using my iPhone as a throttle. Is LNWI legal in UK? Do I ignore restrictions and purchase in USA ? Help please.

More correctly LNWI is designed to connect Digitrax directly to a smart phone I believe, without an intervening PC.

Its not "CE" approved, so not legal to sell in UK/EU.   It uses WiFi frequencies, so can't see how you'll get into trouble by using it. 

However, JMRI installs - simplest going, and cheapest, is a Raspberry PI.  Download the Raspberry PI build from Steve Todd's website, put the one file onto an SD card and put it in the PI, turn on power and it works.  It appears to be rock solid - I've been testing one via a PR3 for several weeks now, and its not missed a step.  Every day or so, I connect my phone to it, and run the test loco a few inches, turn the track power off again, and leave for another day.  

- Nigel

I've recently acquired one of the LNWI from the states and I'm very pleased with it. I must admit that I prefer the LNWI over the JMRI version on the layout as it quickly up and running once the base station is switched on.

Simon

I've recently acquired one of the LNWI from the states and I'm very pleased with it. I must admit that I prefer the LNWI over the JMRI version on the layout as it quickly up and running once the base station is switched on.

Simon

Ok thanks Simon. I bought much of my Digitrax kit direct from USA so will go down that route.

Its not "CE" approved, so not legal to sell in UK/EU. It uses WiFi frequencies, so can't see how you'll get into trouble by using it.

Thanks Nigel. Maybe when we are out of EU we will have more choice on what we can buy.

However, JMRI installs - simplest going, and cheapest, is a Raspberry PI. Download the Raspberry PI build from Steve Todd's website, put the one file onto an SD card and put it in the PI, turn on power and it works. It appears to be rock solid - I've been testing one via a PR3 for several weeks now, and its not missed a step. Every day or so, I connect my phone to it, and run the test loco a few inches, turn the track power off again, and leave for another day.

If I have problems getting from USA I will try this route.

- Nigel

With a luck and a fair wind you should not have any issues with a US only bit of kit in UK however it is possible that you could suffer from interference making the Wi-Fi unreliable or it may be that you create interference causing issues for others e.g. your home Wi-Fi.

The US standard has fewer channels than the EU standard therefore lower available bandwidth and a greater potential for contention.

The standard in the UK will not be changing from that currently in force therefore the requirement for separate approval will remain.

It would also appear that by default this LNWI device is insecure as they say that WPA2 is available if configured, I recommend that you configure this security even if you use it as s stand alone network and only connect phones. If you connect a PC then I suggest it is mandatory to use WPA2 as a minimum.

Edited by WIMorrison

From the manual that I've set up and not had any issues.

Enabling WPA2 security will allow you to prevent unauthorized users from con- necting to your LocoNet by requiring a simple Passcode that is entered when you connect to an LNWI SSID.

To Enable Basic WPA2 Security:

1. Power up your LNWI and connect it to an active LocoNet

2. Connect a Digitrax throttle to one of the LNWI’s LocoNet connectors

3. Press the OPS button on the LNWI. The Green ID and Red OPS indicators

should start alternating blinking ON.

4. Go to SWITCH mode on your Digitrax throttle.

5. Set Sw 17=c and Sw 18=c

6. Once all switches are con gured press the OPS button again, the ID light

should go back to its normal “heartbeat” operation.

7. Power the unit o and back on by disconnecting and reconnected the barrel

plug power connection.

8. The LNWI should now show with a secured SSID. The passcode is

“digitrax1234”

9. Repeat this procedure for any additional LNWI units.

Many thanks to all for their help.

I was just about to order from the USA yesterday but I thought a quick call to Digitrains in Lincoln might be worthwhile. In fact they took a delivery last Friday and posted me one immediately and it arrived this morning.

What an amazingly simple piece of kit! The Digitrax You Tube how to set up video is so short I thought I must be missing something. But no, it really is that simple. So to recap I am using a UK purchased LNWI (£75) with an iPhone 7 running the app WiThrottleLite. No problems with any of the half dozen DCC locos I have run so far. Still to test any sound locos.

Does anyone have experience of using the purchased version of WiThrottle? Does it add much? Can you control switches/points with it?

LNWI really is a must for Digitrax owners.

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks to all for their help.

Does anyone have experience of using the purchased version of WiThrottle? Does it add much? Can you control switches/points with it?

LNWI really is a must for Digitrax owners.

In the absence of any response about the full version of WiThrottle, I today took the plunge and purchased through the App Store for £9.99. Initial impressions are positive. The Power On/Off button is useful as is the dual throttle- which I have got used to as a Digitrax user.post-4181-0-16106600-1522525452_thumb.png

There appears to be the possibility of operating points too but that is for another day.

A good tenners worth.

In the absence of any response about the full version of WiThrottle, I today took the plunge and purchased through the App Store for £9.99. Initial impressions are positive. The Power On/Off button is useful as is the dual throttle- which I have got used to as a Digitrax user. image.png

There appears to be the possibility of operating points too but that is for another day.

A good tenners worth.

It will manage turnouts and routes. My experience is that the twin throttle is a menace so I only use it as a single.

It’s good value and anybody showing up at your railway with a suitable phone or tablet can run trains

John

• 10 months later...
On 06/02/2019 at 22:29, David4472 said:

Has anyone successfully used the digitrains app with the LNWI?

David

Not sure what you mean by Digitrains app   If you mean WiThrottle yes LNWI controls Digitrax systems very well. I use an iPhone 6 but others in my Club use other devices. WiThrottle Lite is great but I believe the £9.99 for the full version is worthwhile, especially if you want to control points. 

27 minutes ago, barrymx5 said:

Not sure what you mean by Digitrains app   If you mean WiThrottle yes LNWI controls Digitrax systems very well. I use an iPhone 6 but others in my Club use other devices. WiThrottle Lite is great but I believe the £9.99 for the full version is worthwhile, especially if you want to control points. 

Digitrains is an App for Android, its an alternative to the probably better known EngineDriver App.   Both talk to the WiThrottle protocol, which is used in JMRI, and in the Digitrax LNWI (and a similar device from MRC). 

I believe Digitrains is free.  EngineDriver is free. 

Digitrains (App) has nothing to do with a well known UK retailer called Digitrains.  The names being the same is, I think, pure coincidence. 

- Nigel

27 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Digitrains is an App for Android, its an alternative to the probably better known EngineDriver App.   Both talk to the WiThrottle protocol, which is used in JMRI, and in the Digitrax LNWI (and a similar device from MRC). 

I believe Digitrains is free.  EngineDriver is free. 

Digitrains (App) has nothing to do with a well known UK retailer called Digitrains.  The names being the same is, I think, pure coincidence. 

- Nigel

Thanks for enlightening me Nigel. I know of EngineDriver and a buddy with an Android phone had it up and running within minutes on LNWI. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, it’s the digitrains app that I am referring to, I stand to be corrected but based on the information I have gleaned it looks like a better app the engine driver, I just can’t find a way to get the digitrains app to talk with the LNWI WiFi, any suggestions appreciated. 

David