TTS. Install in TWIN Bachman class 20's.

Shedmaster 47

Hello folks .I have got in order a new Hornby TTS class 20 sound decoder . My intention is to install it into a "Dummy" bachman class 20 thats had its motor and gears removed to make it" free - running ...this will be coupled and run with another bachman class 20 fitted with a "non-sound" chip ..

My question is this; would this set up work if i were to place " both" loco's on the program track and give them both the same address

( ie..2020 ) .

Wouldn't this be the same as installing both decoders into the same loco and " piggybacking " them??

I understand , by reading various forums maggs etc, that i must have a motor "load"connected for any decoder to work properly??

OR can i safely just put the dummy loco on the layout ( with no motor ) and use the sounds in it without blowing up my decoder??

Any feedback would be most welcome

Thanks in advance

Allan

TTS diesels notch under instruction of the throttle demanded and the TTW (throttle transiton window) bracket settings in the decoder (think of altering these settings as per a posh car sport, normal, ice modes). As the loco and throttle match speeds then the appropriate notching takes place. This means that if your second 20 has the same address as the master 20 then it should follow the set profile sound by sound according to throttle setting and achieved speed.

The steam TTS decoders achieve this matching by use of bemf with the decoder sensing if the loco is loaded or coasting for a throttle setting versus road speed.

Edit - if you do it by way of a consist (different loco addresses) you could control each loco sound separately, but you would have to notch the second 20 manually using F5, 6, 7 and 8 as it would have no throttle to reference to.

Admin - how do I add tags so it shows up in the master TTS thread.??

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96

I don't think that decoders need a load to work properly but they do for programming. I have two DMUs and in both cases I had to put the decoder for the trailer car into another loco with a motor in it in order to set it up otherwise my handset just didn't recognize that the decoder was there.

This may not be applicable to all decoders and DCC systems but it certainly was in mine so its worth bearing in mind.

Thanks richard .

I seeam to remember having this issue when i instalkef a chip into my DVT in ordet to work the lights ...it didnt work properly untill i put BOTH the class 67 loco AND my DVT on thr programing track to give them both the SAME address !!

They work fine together now ..

I have NEVER tried this procedure with SOUND decoders .hense my origonal post .

Thanks anyway ..

• 2 months later...

if you do it by way of a consist (different loco addresses) you could control each loco sound separately, but you would have to notch the second 20 manually using F5, 6, 7 and 8 as it would have no throttle to reference to.

I am thinking of fitting these to my pair of 20s. Having never bought or used TTS decoders before, I was wondering whether TTS support advanced consisting? I can't find this mentioned anywhere else.

It has been a while since I used basic consisting. I am sure there is a good reason why I haven't, but I can't remember.

Would basic consisting allow only the lead loco to play sounds like horns?

I have put two TTS decoders into a consist using Railmaster and you can play their sounds individually but I haven’t tried the basic or advanced consist, so cannot confirm if they will so connect.

Railmaster software fudges the consist allowing decoders that are not capable to run double headed.

I will try it using the Elite direct and see what happens, then report back...

Edit to report...

Elite consist of TTS decoders did not give me function control, so I guess they do not support pucka consisting outside of Railmaster.

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96

...I seem to remember having this issue when i instalkef a chip into my DVT in ordet to work the lights ...it didnt work properly untill i put BOTH the class 67 loco AND my DVT on the programing track to give them both the SAME address !!

I have NEVER tried this procedure with SOUND decoders .hense my original post ...

Have you made the install of the TTS decoder yet? You have a very simple option on the Bach 20 as unscrewing and removing the plastic covers atop the gear towers removes the worms so the bogies are then free wheeling (take the drive shafts out of the coupler in the flywheel if they didn't come away with the worm). The motor will still supply a load which will be seen on programme track. You can then fiddle about with set ups to get the sound output synched with the movement of the driven loco; and when satisfied then change the address of the sound loco to be the same as the powered, and then disconnect one motor wire to take the motor load off the sound decoder. All easily fully reversible if you want the loco powered at some future time.