1:76 tipper lorry

Pikey

Here is a fully motorised and R/C fitted Wiking HO front loader that was being demonstrated at Utrecht this year, being  demonstrated on a British 4mm layout.

post-7071-0-15725700-1534770784_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-64967900-1534770804_thumb.jpg

All movements of the vehicle, lights and shovel movements were fully controlled.

The cab was also fitted with an onboard camera.

Its off-road performance was also impressive on the grass bank.

Gordon A

• Like 5

In actual fact, RC conversion of a basic modern lorry is *fairly* straightforward with mostly off-the-shelf components, believe it or not :)  

My loader hasnt got a camera in the cab, but it has got a removable bucket and an alternative forklift attachment - which I can use to move stillages around, load and unload wagons etc when I get bored of shovelling ballast. Here's a video of that :)

• RMweb Premium

Also, some RTR vehicles are available in HO scale:

https://shop.carson-modelsport.com/carson_en/carson/carson-rc-models/electric-power-cars-1-24-1-18/1-87-vw-t1-samba-bus-24g-100-rtr-500504119-en.html

I also had a Conrad HO RC articulated truck, about 10 years ago, but it was tricky to drive as the speed control was pretty much stop or go.

• RMweb Premium

There were also H0 cars available, as the steering was not proportional also this was not easy to control. But it is fun if you have something on the layout that moves. I upgraded an H0 helicopter - well it doesn't fly away - but the rotor spins. Used an old servo motor and a button cell. So you can move the heli to where you want at the layout and the rotor spins. Model used was a Roco  EC 135. Just the landing gear I had to replace by brass as the standard plastic one didn't stay long...