Cosmetic point rodding options

Hi

Trying to establish who sells the best 4mm point rodding ?

Am awaiting a better-qualified answer than mine. As far as I am aware, Wills do plastic rodding kits, including stools and cranks. Look slightly coarse, but a little bit of jiggery pokery and weathering can mitigate this. However, Modelu do very nice rodding stools and appropriate piano wire can do the rodding. Not sure if Modelu do the cranks though.

Brassmaster do etched rodding stools (I believe the stool is actually what the rodding "support" sits on, but stool is generally used to mean the support itself.) and etched cranks. The stools are accurate for LNWR/LMS/BR and possibly others, but a bit fiddly to assemble.

Wizard supply cast w/m stools, etched cranks and  "square" n/s rodding, which many companies used.

The Wills system is apparently easier to use, but noticeably over scale.

The Modelu 3D rodding stools are "custom" printed to provide the number of supports you need and take the square rodding wire. These look like a very good and accurate option. They weren't available when I installed the rodding on my layout, but I think they are what I would now use.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 1

As a slight aside although still to do with stuff that comes out of signal boxes, does anyone have a close up or dimensions of the posts for supporting signal wires, there are as many of them as there are point rodding stools! I have not been able to find any pictures close enough to see detail or even have an idea whether they are square or round or whatever!

• RMweb Gold

As a slight aside although still to do with stuff that comes out of signal boxes, does anyone have a close up or dimensions of the posts for supporting signal wires, there are as many of them as there are point rodding stools! I have not been able to find any pictures close enough to see detail or even have an idea whether they are square or round or whatever!

Right here's a photo showing some signal wire run pulleys adjacent to point rodding roller assemblies - as you can see they are much smaller than the rodding rollers but the clearly visible ones are only for two signal wires.  A single wire pulley will easily fit in the palm of my hand and I don't have particularly large hands so probably no more than 1.5mm big in 4mm scale.

Although these are on a preservation line they are more or less WR standard and are mounted on Reading standard wire run pulley stakes which were steel with an L angle in the part which was below ground and flat above ground. some Companies used wooden stakes but steel or iron was much better as they lasted a lot longer in use.

Click on the picture to enlarge.

post-6859-0-24121800-1538734269_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Alas the picture I posted is a very poor example of a leading off bed as it is something of a bitsa and includes one or two very unusual ways of doing particular jobs.  But it does at least include some reasonably clear views of signal wire run pulleys and they are close enough to point rodding roller assemblies to show the difference in size.

True Mike, but as ScRSG said, there aren't many good pics of lead-off beds around, I thought that pic on that section might help, it's the only decent one in my 'library'. And by the look of the cranks - still GW. :sungum:

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Gold

True Mike, but as ScRSG said, there aren't many good pics of lead-off beds around, I thought that pic on that section might help, it's the only decent one in my 'library'. And by the look of the cranks - still GW. :sungum:

They are indeed all GW (Reading pattern) cranks in that bed and what's more they are all proper leading-off cranks.  But the 'box that works them is a relatively modern, preservation era, build notwithstanding its very clearly GWR architecture (Bishops Bridge on the dart Valley line)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just reviving this topic as ModelU are now producing Midland Railway point rodding stools for circular section rods . I need these for my MR origin layout but was wondering if those in the know would say that I can use ModelU's GWR cranks or will I have to wait until ModelU produce the correct ones?

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product/2105/