Inside frames pre-1906 - Indian red or black?

• RMweb Premium

I have a little project on the go to backdate an Oxford Dean Goods to original condition - going for one of Lot 82 built 1890*. I understand that wheels, outside frames and valences were painted Indian red, but what about the outside faces of inside frames? Looking at the photos of models on gwr.org.uk, there seems to be a consensus in favour of black but the text isn't explicit - in fact it says "... frames were indian red" without distinction. 

Any elucidation?

*ignoring the narrow vs wide footplate width.

Edited by Compound2632

Wolverhampton inside frames were black

I can't see that in GWW.  (Although Dean Goods were all Swindon, so Wolverhampton liveries would presumably not apply.)

China Red (vermilion) for the inside faces of frames gets a first mention for the '1897' scheme, and is assumed to continue thereafter.

• RMweb Premium

I can't see that in GWW.  (Although Dean Goods were all Swindon, so Wolverhampton liveries would presumably not apply.)

China Red (vermilion) for the inside faces of frames gets a first mention for the '1897' scheme, and is assumed to continue thereafter.

It's the colour of the outside faces of inside frames upon which I am seeking clarity. Vermillion inside faces and fixed parts of the motion is understood.

My Dean Goods is intended to be a Wolverhampton-based one but it's already been established to at least my own satisfaction that that has no bearing on livery.

Nor can I now! Strange. 

The table (chart 3) on P27 of latest edition of GWW doesn't seem to specify the outside colour of inside only frames, which demonstrates, I guess, how difficult it is to write this stuff.

Agreed that a Wolverhampton livery exceeding unlikely on an 1890 Dean goods.

• 2 weeks later...

Lee Marsh's response is v interesting. For pre-1906:

- black for the outside face of inside-framed locos;

- indian red for the outside face of outside-framed locos.

(China red for the inside faces in both cases, not that there was any doubt about that aspect.)

I can see a sort of logic in the above, in a weird Swindon logic sort of way.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. I'm inclined to go with Indian Red - an interesting challenge which will involve more dis-assembly. Will it work when I put it back together?

Without wishing to open another can of worms - or perhaps go chasing after the worms that have been out of the tin for a good long while - is there any consensus on the best Indian Red? Precision do one (and a pre-1906 green) - not so long to go until Warley, which is my best chance of getting their pre-Grouping paints. I don't have complete confidence - their Midland freight stock grey is wrong (LMS wagon grey being spot on to my mind). 

I posted some potential 'indian reds' in http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65514-indian-red-revisited/

I'm reading through the thread again, but it seems apparent that the information there is not consistent with Lee Marsh's latest declaration. I suspect we are into the 'anything goes' chaos that characterised Swindon between 1900-6.

• RMweb Premium

I posted some potential 'indian reds' in http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65514-indian-red-revisited/

I'm reading through the thread again, but it seems apparent that the information there is not consistent with Lee Marsh's latest declaration. I suspect we are into the 'anything goes' chaos that characterised Swindon between 1900-6.

Thanks for the link to that interesting thread. Of course I'm looking to reproduce an engine painted in the 1890s, before any simplification of livery was thought of.