Help with wiring a DCC chip to Hornby Ringfield 3-pole

Ron61

Hi, I have just acquired a brand new "old" Hornby Ringfield 3-pole tender drive motor L7569. Can anyone please tell me how I can wire in a DCC chip as there only seems to be one wire [black]. The unit works fine on DC. Thank you - I'm still just a beginner.

post-4912-127246167859_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

You will need to isolate the screw on the left (just above the red spot) from the chassis that it screws into. Most use a suitable sized bit of heatshrink over the screwhead.

Now cut the black wire in half, remove the spade connection from the motor.

Solder the grey and orange decoder wires to the tabs on shiny metal bits that are held in place by the screws.

Solder the decoder red wire to the half of the black wire attached to the tender coupling pin. Solder the black decoder wire to the other half of the original black wire. Slide the spade connector over a suitable raised casting section on the motor chassis, there are at least two points where this can be done.

Make sure all joints are heatshrinked to prevent shorts. Use a TCS or Lenz decoder (or similar) a buget decoder is not likely to have enough power or fine motor control for this old drive.

I've marked up your photo to illustrate and sent you a PM if you still need help wink.gif

post-6717-127246532994_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

There should be at least two cast ridges on the metal chassis where the spade connector can be slid onto. You will probably have to open up the end of the spade connector with a small screwdriver to get it to fit. Alternatively you can solder the black wire from the decoder to the bronze spring that holds the gears in place wink.gif

Make sure you have completely isolated the screw from the shiny metal plate otherwise a fried decoder will result ....

• 3 years later...

All good advice thats how I do it.  There is another way is to use a backplate that does not have screws if you can get one, eliminates the problem of the left hand screw shorting.

But you should have no trouble if you insulate that screw. Use a meter to make sure before you fit the decoder.

Regarding the Capacitor. Yes remove it. Its a known fact that leaving it in will probably have an adverse effect on performance.

As previous posts, Please use a good decoder and not a cheapie.

I cant see how good a condition the copper comutator is by the photo, if its badly scored get a new one, plus new brushes.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived