Carriage-Style coaches - experimental 3D printed models

TangoOscarMike

Dear all

This post generated some interest in the 3D printed coaches that appear in the pictures of the locomotive. These are old-fashioned horse-draw-carriage style coach bodies that fit on commercial coach or wagon chassis.

I'm not altogether happy with these coach models: the combination of price and level of detail isn't right. Because of the cost of the higher-quality plastic, they're printed in the low-resolution "white strong and flexible" plastic. This means that the detail is a little crude and the surface is rather rough (and they still aren't cheap!).

Nevertheless there is sufficient interest for me to offer them for sale so that anyone who wants to can participate in the experiment. I'm making them available at Shapeways' baseline price, with no markup.

Here is a 3-compartment coach body that fits on the Hornby 4-wheel coach chassis (which is also used for their long-wheelbase wagons).

And here is a 2-compartment coach body for the Dapol 9' wagon chassis.

Please let me know how you get on with these, and ask me for advice of clarification if necessary. In particular, let me know if the links don't work!

There is more to come.

Tom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Might you consider offering them in the finer detail plastic at some stage?

Yes.

I won't offer exactly these models in finer detail plastic. Instead I will produce versions with, well, finer details. A thinner beading, less chunky door handles etc.

I've been avoiding finer plastics for these because of the expense. But it's easy for me to produce the models for others to try.

I think that Shapeways' Frosted Ultra Detail might be too stiff for the attachment arrangement of the 2-compartment version. I might have to come up with an alternative.

• 4 months later...
On 29/06/2019 at 23:42, TangoOscarMike said:

Dear all

This post generated some interest in the 3D printed coaches that appear in the pictures of the locomotive. These are old-fashioned horse-draw-carriage style coach bodies that fit on commercial coach or wagon chassis.

I'm not altogether happy with these coach models: the combination of price and level of detail isn't right. Because of the cost of the higher-quality plastic, they're printed in the low-resolution "white strong and flexible" plastic. This means that the detail is a little crude and the surface is rather rough (and they still aren't cheap!).

Nevertheless there is sufficient interest for me to offer them for sale so that anyone who wants to can participate in the experiment. I'm making them available at Shapeways' baseline price, with no markup.

Here is a 3-compartment coach body that fits on the Hornby 4-wheel coach chassis (which is also used for their long-wheelbase wagons).

And here is a 2-compartment coach body for the Dapol 9' wagon chassis.

Please let me know how you get on with these, and ask me for advice of clarification if necessary. In particular, let me know if the links don't work!

There is more to come.

Tom

Those are some fine-looking coaches! Perfect for the Pre-Grouping Era and on toy-like layouts, too!

20 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Those are some fine-looking coaches! Perfect for the Pre-Grouping Era and on toy-like layouts, too!

Thank you!

I didn't get any takers for the white-strong-and-flexible coach bodies, which is fair enough I think, because maybe the price/quality relationship doesn't quite make sense.

I plan to revisit this soon and produce something in a finer detail plastic. I'm thinking of 3 compartments in the same style on a Dapol 10' wagon chassis. This is quite a bit shorter than the Hornby 4 wheeler chassis, so the comparments will be smaller (less luxurious (more realistic)).

Cheers

Tom

3 minutes ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Thank you!

I didn't get any takers for the white-strong-and-flexible coach bodies, which is fair enough I think, because maybe the price/quality relationship doesn't quite make sense.

I plan to revisit this soon and produce something in a finer detail plastic. I'm thinking of 3 compartments in the same style on a Dapol 10' wagon chassis. This is quite a bit shorter than the Hornby 4 wheeler chassis, so the comparments will be smaller (less luxurious (more realistic)).

Cheers

Tom

If I had Shapeways, I would've gotten some as well as freelance tender locomotives. Did you get my suggestion?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/12/2021 at 14:34, DanInHisDen said:

I shall get one of the 3 compartment coaches after christmas. I am getting one of the Tri-Ang rocket coaches so I think it would be a nice match.

Thanks Dan

I haven't abandoned this project, but I also haven't made any progress recently. I would certainly be interested in your feedback if you go ahead and get one.

• Like 1