Hornby Class 73

eric709

Hi,

Just wondered if anybody could shed a bit of light on the Hornby Class 73 please?

Are the version released by Hornby the exact same chassis / motor as the original Lima loco's. I know they are DCC ready just wondered if any other alterations had been added?

Thanks

The Hornby motor bogie is a better runner at slow speed.

The first batches still retained the old style Lima coupling, the later issues have NEM pockets fitted.

The first batches still retained the old style Lima coupling, the later issues have NEM pockets fitted.

And traction tyres. The very first batch didn't have these and are "haulage challenged" under quite a few circumstances.

Detail wise the Hornby re-release is unchanged, same crude air horns, moulded roof grills, stepless bogies, incorrect and flat looking headlight and 2D underframe which carriers several Hornby weights in it to aid traction instead of the steel slab Lima used, the Hornby motor is wired up to an 8 pin DCC socket also. The model still has no lighting at all

NL

Ditto here! I bought several cheap Dutch or NSE liveried ones from Hattons and placed my older Lima bodies on them, as well as DCC-chipping them (one with sound). A useful way to update the chassis and running qualities while retaining valued/cherished older bodies and liveries.

My reasons for picking the Dutch and NSE ones over other specials also available were that these versions have the NEM coupling pockets and smaller tension lock couplings, plus the traction tyres needed for reasonable hauling power. To aid pickup, I swapped one traction-tyred axle left-to-right so that three non-tyred wheels pick up on each side. Using DCC allows some fine-tuning of the running characteristics so I have no issues with their running qualities (and please don't think I'm trying to start a DCC against non-DCC debate; I'm emphatically not!). Before I chipped them they did have rather a high top speed.

Archived