Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Layout height [s]cornundrum[/s] solution

The height of exhibition layouts is a familiar debate with a certain acceptance and solutions for those unfortunate to see, and not a debate that I wish to repeat here. But instead of steps or periscopes, why not move the layout....?

History: my own layouts have been between table height (for convenience/operating sat down) to just over 48" to track level, the current one is 5' long and uses legs to give a Freemo specified track height of 45". This proved to be acceptable but still had limitations, especially since at home I get the best view of it on an eye level shelf.

Requirements:

-Base should be stable with 5' layout on, and easily changed in height.

-Track height should be between 36" and 48", but with the ability to be altered.

-There should be a means of levelling the layout.

-Device should be easily transportable and quick to set up/dismantle.

Solution: 

I did consider a hydraulic lifting table (too heavy and over-specified) or some kind of linear actuator on an ironing board style X frame, but remembered from a trip to the opticians that some equipment is mounted on an adjustable height table, as seen here on eBay (no connection other than as a satisfied customer).

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223009300245

This has the advantage of being on wheels and has 240v connections under the table top. The original table was 2'x1' with about 12" of lift. I removed the top and fitted a frame using M8 threaded rod for levelling adjustment, with the layout clipping in place. The layout has a full curtain that can be changed in height but I might commission the professional seamstress who made it to make a smaller one just to go round the support frame.

Conclusion? 

Does it work? Yes, although I've yet to try it at a show (booked for Nottingham in March).

Cost? Good value when comped to the price of a linear actuator. 

Is it stable enough? There is a bit of wobble at full extension but it passed the "small child hanging on layout" test. If the layout being displayed was larger than 5'x18" then it would be simple enough to extend the footprint by mounting the feet on wider beams. 

IMG_20200117_102357.jpg

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200107202124672.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

If it suits you, that is fine. For a layout which is 5'x18" I offer the following comments -

· 5' is already at the awkward-to-move length, and more so if you have vertical height (e.g. ground level is below the tracks), so anything bigger, or anything of a sensible width for those who want continuous running, will not fit on one of these.

· It might also require you to use a larger vehicle to transport it to exhibitions.

It looks as if you are able to permanently erect the layout at home, so storage space for the device is obviously not a problem.

For bigger layouts which already require a large van, perhaps a second van, or

a pantechnicon, for the motorised supports. And then the fun of aligning the height of multiple motorised supports.

On 19/01/2020 at 03:43, zarniwhoop said:

If it suits you, that is fine. For a layout which is 5'x18" I offer the following comments -

· 5' is already at the awkward-to-move length, and more so if you have vertical height (e.g. ground level is below the tracks), so anything bigger, or anything of a sensible width for those who want continuous running, will not fit on one of these.

· It might also require you to use a larger vehicle to transport it to exhibitions.

It looks as if you are able to permanently erect the layout at home, so storage space for the device is obviously not a problem.

For bigger layouts which already require a large van, perhaps a second van, or

a pantechnicon, for the motorised supports. And then the fun of aligning the height of multiple motorised supports.

All valid points, although I would add that 5' is probably longer than ideal but still fits in the back of the family car. You could even go slightly wider and have a continuous run in N or 009 in the same footprint. It's also bigger than the 4sq ft "micro" genre, and there seems to be more acceptance of small layouts at shows as enjoyable and achievable home layouts than there was ten years ago instead of them being seen as a novelty.

This was a fairly easy commercial solution, it'd take a bit of synchronization but there's no reason why two or three trestles couldn't be constructed to be mechanically linked and actuated in a similar way. 

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately I didn't think to take better illustrative photos at the first show the new support has been used last weekend, but there weren't any particular issues highlighted and it was more stable than some I've seen over the years. The track height varied between 39" and 51" which suited most viewers, although one slight negative is obviously it doesn't suit an adult and a child at the same time. 

One visitor did say that he'd seen this thread and that of the layout, so it's good to know that there are people reading this out there. And one trader nearby commented that it confused some of his customers who didn't believe that the layout had changed height...!

MVIMG_20200314_091332~2.jpg

IMG_20200314_123059~3.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...