2 Simple Micro Ideas

• RMweb Premium

Noting some people are looking for quick projects at minimal or no new cost, I had a play around on Anyrail to see how two ideas from my youth might look as micro-layouts today.  I just used very basic OO Setrack pieces (the bits often kept for test tracks, etc.),  and kept to a 4' sq. scenic baseboard.  Baseboard shape was 6' x 8" in each case, though fiddle sticks / yards will be extra.

My 1970s / 80s mixed diet of Railway Modeller and Model Railroader meant that - for British outline modelling - it's no surprise I'm strongly influenced by GWR Branch Line Terminus ideas, so I had a look at what Ashburton might turn out like in micro-format.  It could be operated like a 'Timesaver' switching puzzle with no fiddle yard:

I also tried Roy Link's 'Art of Compromise' from Oct '78 - currently being modelled on this Forum as Farleigh by col. stephens (in a bigger space and looking really good).  Entrance was from the right, inspired by Fairford.  Wiring was very easy and this one could operate easily as an 'Inglenook' shunting puzzle without a fiddle yard. 

In a 12' length (a narrow bookshelf) the two stations could join together side by side, or with a common fiddle yard (having both layouts enter from the same side), they could alternatively be stacked vertically (Iain Rice style).  Not much scope for scenic modelling, although there could be in the same space using N scale.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
Edited for text only as photos no longer available.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Very nice! On the second layout, you might consider moving the platform a few inches to the left so it [mostly] sits on the loop? That would allow a bit more space for scenic development on the right of the board.

Edited by Ian Simpson
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Simpson said:

Very nice! On the second layout, you might consider moving the platform a few inches to the left so it [mostly] sits on the loop? That would allow a bit more space for scenic development on the right of the board.

Excellent idea, thank you.  The prototype Fairford that I believe inspired Roy Link’s simpler design wasn’t originally intended to be a terminus when it was built, which explains why the loops were all beyond the platform there.  In this very constricted space anything to create some sense of space would help.  In Roy Link’s design his first siding (for the Coal Yard) began a bit further to the right, 3’ from either end.  I moved the point a bit to the left so the plan could be built on 2 x 3’ boards.  With a removable platform where you suggest, it could help hide such a baseboard joint.

• Like 1