Tarpaulins - A taste sensation

Aire Head

1 hour ago, Waveydavey said:

Were BR sheets a standard size or did they come in a variety of sizes?

And when, roughly, was the swap over from grey canvas to blue plastic sheets?

Cheers

David

My understanding is that BR sheets were 14 feet by 21 feet and that grey canvas have way to blue plastic in the early 70s with a period of crossover.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

20201018_004206.jpg.fb60d3c541da0166c615df55b2749910.jpg

Also a good thing about the Tunnocks sheeting is that you can push them over a load and they keep the shape really well. The blue sheeted load is a couple of old crates that came off some Airfix Lowmacs. Fold the wrapper around and then rub a finger over the edges and corners then paint, as you can see it helps to show the detail of the sheeted load. Must get round to putting some tie down rope representation.

I have also heard of people using after eight mint wrappers for sheeting too.

Cheers

James

20201018_004145.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've been mulling over a couple draped over sheet rails recently so will try these. I haven't got my head round how to fold round the ends yet. Is there a prescribed technique people are happy with (for flat sheets, not just pitched?

Edited by Hal Nail

Guest Jack Benson

Fabulous bit of old school modelling - I utterly agree with that sentiment.

A pack of Tunnocks has just donated its wrappers for modelling posterity.

Cheers and Stay Safe

• 4 weeks later...

Since this thread appeared I've been hoarding saving wrappers and have amassed quite a few.  If anyone wants some I could post them on receipt of a stamped addressed envelope.  Don't all rush at once or I might have to ration them!  At any rate I was thinking of 3 or 4 at a time, more than enough for several wagon tarps.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A word of warning.! The model railway police came for me when I committed the heinous crime of calling them tarpaulins! They are sheets .... as in Sheet Stores Junction near Nottingham...... ;);)

As for Tunnocks... yes please!

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

17 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

What are the dimensions roughly please? Want to know if they are large enough for 7mm.

Plenty large enough I would think.  Probably get at least 2 per wrapper?  PM me if interested.  The stash grows daily - as does my waistline.....................:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

On 16/10/2020 at 15:35, Steamport Southport said:

Don't forget the lettering and numbers.

Even the BR ones had BR written on them. Probably to stop people nicking them, they were an expensive bit of kit. They also had to be returned and logged after use.

In respect of tarpaulin lettering and numbering, does anyone know a source of suitable transfers to assist in this task?

• Agree 1

On 23/11/2020 at 23:13, 5050 said:

Since this thread appeared I've been hoarding saving wrappers and have amassed quite a few.  If anyone wants some I could post them on receipt of a stamped addressed envelope.  Don't all rush at once or I might have to ration them!  At any rate I was thinking of 3 or 4 at a time, more than enough for several wagon tarps.

I meant it!  Especially for those of you who may be diabetic, lactose, gluten or nut intolerant, losing weight or just don't like chocolate.

I've got several more now too.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1