Douglas’ BR eastern region workbench. Currently backdating a Hornby B12

Hello all,

As I’m finally having a go at starting a layout, (albeit a non scenery display with running layout) I thought I should start a workbench thread. 

The current main project is backdating (kind of) a Hornby B12/3, and turning it into a B12/4, which was a actually later variant of the B12, with the shorter smokebox and smaller diameter boiler.  So basically taking it back to 1912 as built condition but with a belpaire firebox and decorative valances over the driving wheels. 

So yesterday, after a bit of planning, and with trembling hands I approached the smokebox with a razor saw, and cut off the first 1/2 cm or so. After a bit more thinking I decided the old smokebox door was not going to work and that one from plastic card would need making. In due course using my grandfathers geometry set from 1952 the required circles had been drawn and cut, and were then glued to the engine. However I realized it was missing something, and realized I had forgotten the ring around the door.

This was made by cutting a thin line of plastic card and then slowly working it into the required shape by hand, a long a very delicate process. This was then glued to the “door”, the joint at the bottom isn’t quite square but it’s as good as I could get it.

The smokebox dart consists of a Peco track pin and two hands from Markits, which are supposedly GWR pattern but oh well. 

This was all then painted black, and it didn’t look that good. As we all know, the purpose of paint is to make you buy sandpaper. The two photos below show the engine after I had scrapped most of the paint off.

32F74831-D3FF-4EB2-A362-8DE3E3543191.jpeg.9068c2f9ede2c8edc50db5fe3741c7ca.jpeg

11EC5F47-9FCD-46B3-B0EA-4F4856204980.jpeg.d00572fc2aa3b8dfd49ab3616492a116.jpeg

Now I know this will never look exactly like a B12/4 as the boiler is ever slightly to big, but I noticed that with proportions of OO the boiler did look narrower than it should, which I think lends itself to this project. The other thing is that it seems completely impossible to remove the chimney and and done without severe damage to the body so they have been left in place. I would be grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a prototype with such fixtures or a safe way to remove them and purchase the correct ones.

more to come soon,

Douglas