SHMRC Portsmouth Model Railway Exhibition - 20th November 2021 - All go for tomorrow

kipford

• RMweb Gold

We are back! Subject to no further restrictions from Boris, the South Hants Model Railway Club will host the annual Portsmouth Model Railway Exhibition on Saturday 20th November 2021 at:

Admiral Lord Nelson School on Dundas Lane, Portsmouth, PO3 5XT

Opening time between 10:30 and 16:30.

As usual we have a carefully chosen selection of top-class model railway layouts and demonstrators, supported by a loyal band of traders and ‘gauge’ societies.

More details of layouts, traders, demonstrators and societies, plus details of how to get there, can be found on the Club's website - https://www.shmrc.org.uk/exhibition/

There will be limited parking at the school, but the Ocean Retail Park opposite the school has free unlimited parking (except for McDonalds which has a time limit).

Covid Precautions:

The school has installed hand sanitiser stations and we will be providing extra facilities around the exhibition.

In accordance with current government guidelines, we will be providing an optional track and trace registration facility (QR code).

We would ask that visitors and exhibitors wear face coverings if possible.

Layouts

Cheddar                                        P4        Cheddar

Chris Challis’s lovely S and D layout

Copper Wort                                OO      Copper Wort

The new scenic masterpiece from master builder Pete Goss, coming all the way from Yorkshire.

Eastwood                                     P4        Eastwood

The new 38ft L and Y opus from the SHMRC, think Stoke Bank with shunting in P4.

Kinmundy                                    EM       Kinmundy

Diesels in the winter originally built by Martin ‘back in an hour Jones now with its new owners.

Laramie Engine Terminal        O        laramie engine terminal

Big Boys in O gauge what more can one say, it needs to be seen.

Lower Exbury                              P4        Lower Exbury

Another atmospheric layout of an LSWR backwater.

Portsea                                         3mm    Portsea

We are in Portsmouth so it is nice to have a layout in the spirit of Portsmouth Harbour

Lightermans Yard                      2mm    Lightermans Yard

A beautiful urban rendition of South East London in 2mm scale

Ropley                                            N         Ropley 

Tom Everitts beautiful model of Ropley on the Mid Hants Railway in preservation.

William Smith’s Wharf              2mm   

More superb 2mm modelling from Jerry Clifford.

Widley and St George                OO       Widley and St.George - SHMRC

One for our younger visitors - come and drive trains pulled by Thomas, Percy, Gordon and more of their friends

Traders

Booklaw Publications
C & L Finescale
Coastal DCC
Frome Model Centre

Graham the Glue Man
London Road Models
Model Railway Developments
Penbits
RumneyModels
Squires Model & Craft Tools
The Model Shop Portsmouth
Tim Horn Baseboards

Wheels of Southsea
Plus our Members’ Sales Stand

Societies

EM Gauge Society + demo

2mm Finescale Society

Scalefour Society

MERG

Demonstrators

Roy Hickman how to do scenery.

Duncan Redford (drduncan) on 3D printing wagons, coaches etc

Edited by kipford
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sadly due to an unforeseen family commitment, Rossiters Rise has had to withdraw from the exhibiton. However we are delighted that Tom Everitt (TomE) has agreed to bring his lovely Ropley layout at short notice.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A week to go to the show and it is all go. Details are now finalised, demonstrators added and couple of extra traders, Wheels of Southsea and Graham the Glue Man.

Hope to see lots of you there.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• kipford changed the title to SHMRC Portsmouth Model Railway Exhibition - 20th November 2021 - All go for tomorrow

I went to this show for the first time today. I don't normally go to one-day shows as most are not up to much but this was a very good show, and was a proper model railway exhibition rather than the glorified toy train show that some events can be. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all the exhibitors, traders and the public who attended today. We had a great show. Penrith you obviously came in the afternoon. For catering we are tied by what the school contract caterers are  willing to provide. Normally this is full catering and very good it is too with lunch service until 13:30. With drinks also available at a separate coffee bar until just before the show closes. This year due to continued school redevelopment. We were restricted to the canteen which would not serve beyond 13:00  the coffee bar shut. We are sorry for that but it was beyond our control. We are told for next year we will have the coffee bar back on line. I am glad you liked Eastwod this only its second exhibition in its roundly roundly form, it still needs finishing but has potential for a great layout. 

On a really positive note we appear to have bucked the recent trend at shows of 20% odd reduction in footfall,  initial results show  a modest increase over our last show in 2019! This is really encouraging so thanks again to all who came, we must be doing something right.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, kipford said:

We were restricted to the canteen which would not serve beyond 13:00 

Excellent show but a few signs as we went in to tell us the food would stop at whatever time would have helped as we wandered out for a drink at 13:05 to find it shut ;) 

If the hours are restricted in future just a few signs to warn people please :) 

Apart from that minor thirst great day out :) 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was also there yesterday.  Elsewhere I have referred to its unique selling point.  That is breakfast served by dinner ladies.   Clearly it is aimed at exhibitionists but punters may also hand over thir hard-earned for anything from a slice of bacon to a full English.  My repast included a slice of fried bread for the first time in over a month and very good it was too.  The only minor nitpick is that the plastic knives were not quite up to the task of cutting rashers of bacon into bite-sized pieces.

Good though it was, I did not visit the show to eat breakfast.  Some of the best layouts around had been rounded up.  In adition to three in P4, reflecting my own interests, there were some favourites in other scales.  The lesser-spotted Kinmundy was a welcome sight but if I had been awarding a cup it might well have gone to Lightermans Yard from the Kent and Essex Area Group of the 2mm Scale Association.  It is a fine representative of 2mm finescale depicting a yard "somewhere" in South East London.  Such is the quality of the scenics that the viewer  can tell at once exactly where it is meant to be.  The careful attention to detail included an air raid siren mounted on a roof.  From what I saw the running quality was very high.  The second-hand stalls were doing their best to cure the overstocking that has developed over the past two years.  What a good job it was that I used the cash point the previous day.

I really must learn to read the show guide BEFORE I go home.   Somehow I managed to overlook Drduncan's demo of 3D printing despite it being next to a second-hand stall to which I kept returning.  I can only apologise to him for missing it.

Chris

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

We had an excellent day at the Pompey show with the Wharf, very well looked after by the host club as usual.  Some superb exhibits although we didn't get as much time to look around as we would have liked. Thankfully the wonderful Eastwood was just behind us so we were able to enjoy a parade of pre-group trains rolling by. I did manage to snap my little L&Y brute alongside its big brother in the Eastwood fiddle yard.

Jerry

14062144_Portsmouthshow2021.jpg.1708e2f2b3d0be2735174523f240304f.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Just an update on the attendance. Final figures show we were 4% down on 2019, which we still consider a great result and shows that people are still wanting to attend. We are already planning next years show (subject to Boris of course) and we have 80% of the layouts in place and have. Next week we are holding our washup meeting to review what was good, bad etc.  We also had a lot of very positive feedback which is very gratifying. So once again thanks to all who attended, layouts, trade, demo and the general public for making it a great show.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1