A statement on The Titfield Thunderbolt.

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold

Interesting.

I chose to pre-order the Rapido Trains Titfield Thunderbolt range - mainly on the basis that I considered they would be finer models than those produced by the other manufacturer.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall Hornby getting all mardy about the Dapol/Rails Terrier not all that long ago. Still, with availability of model railway items being quite fleeting these days, I think there will be room for both and I wish all success to Rapido.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Certain people should have a look at what happens when anyone rebuilds an old Mustang and then even refers to it as Eleanor. The IP holder generally speaking when it is movie related can get rather upset to say the least, and said offending vehicle gets rapidly reposessed. Just have a look at a recent incident involving B is for Build.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow, just wow. Best of luck to SC and Rapido.

If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything...

Edited by Bucoops
If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything...
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

Could Hornby not simply manufacture "Lion" with no published reference to Titfield?  I had assumed that "Lion" was simply an extension of the recently released "Rocket" and era 1 coaches and rolling stock.

The smart move would've been to launch the "Movie range" with the Lady with the Lamp, or issue Lion seperately and call it a day.

Doing this inspired by, and using the names of Thunderbolt, Peirce and Crump and Mallingford are all hilariously copyrighted phrases related to the film. Like beyond open and shut, a judge would look at this, laugh and award money to Rapido and Studio Canal+. Same as the liveries of Dan's coach and the bus are IP related too, if I remember rightly.

Outright malicious because they wanted the rights only to find they'd already been sold to Rapido.

Edited by Din
  • Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, GWRtrainman said:

Perhaps the armchair experts on Copyright should take 1 minute to check before they state what is already registered. I did:

image.png.f81d91c02b0ff3ddc4903c5931ea0fee.png

You realise copyright law is automatically applied, right?

EDIT: Some types of IP rights are also, ya know, applied automatically.

Edited by Din
  • Like 6
  • Agree 6

Great video.  I’ve dipped in and out of the Hornby launch video.  I did note a) a direct tie in with Studio Canal on the Railway Children and b) a comment in the start of the railroad section about manufacturers who put in lots and lots of detail.

33 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Hornby making a special point of even making the bus! That’s just malicious.

To be fair, they have the jump on Rapido on that score, because they already have the OOC Bedford OB in their ranges.