Coal staithes

• 1 year later...

I have been searching for the average size of coal staithes for a small branchline. It seems to be 'modellers poetic license' when it comes to height & width as length would depend on coal demand in that particular town/village. Hmmm.. So what would be the size of a three bay coal staithe ??

• RMweb Gold

I have been searching for the average size of coal staithes for a small branchline. It seems to be 'modellers poetic license' when it comes to height & width as length would depend on coal demand in that particular town/village. Hmmm.. So what would be the size of a three bay coal staithe ??

Back in the early 1960s a new coal merchant appeared in the yard of one of the intermediate stations on our local branch and he very quickly built himself some extremely tidy coal cells (known as staithes to many modellers so this is exactly what you mean) and the backs of some of them were over 6 feet high. But they were built against the boundary fence and he clearly didn't want to upset the inhabitants of the houses the other side of that fence - but there you are, that's one dimension. Otherwise it depends really on how much fuel the merchant wanted to have as maximum stock in the space he was renting.

Guest stuartp

Given that in a lot of cases the building material of choice was second-hand sleepers, I suspect a fair few were based on multiples of 9' or 8'6".

Archived