South Hemsworth - Eastern Region 1980

deltic21

I had started this as a blog, but decided i prefered a topic, as i could track my progress more easily!

Please refer to the link below for the original topic on South Hemsworth, from the old site:-

South Hemsworth

After my dad died, i basically lost all interest in the layout - other than half hearted attempts and some kit building, nothing has progressed for well over 12 months. I gave great thought to giving up with my layout, a total loss of interest had me thinking was it all worth it? I had even started to draw up lists of what i had and was looking to start the clearout.

With the encouragment of family and friends i slowly started back into the layout and made some good progress with the platforms. Much use of plasticard sheeting and some not inconsiderable hours with a stanley knife, finally gave me the effect i was looking for.

Spurred on by my progress, i started to paint the platform surfaces, but my white lines were not straight enough! :( HID said that she would try and launched into the lines with gusto, so much so that bar a little more touching up and then weathering the platforms are finished! :)

post-7748-128289785993_thumb.jpg

post-7748-128289788168_thumb.jpg

A bit of a difference from the last photo i took of the station!!!

post-7748-12828978396_thumb.jpg

While Gill was painting the platforms my attention turned to the sidings, i wanted to do something different than just plain sidings and when i mate suggested maintenance platforms i set to work!! These will be painted and weathered as pre-formed concrete.

post-7748-128289779089_thumb.jpg

post-7748-128289780777_thumb.jpg

post-7748-128289782546_thumb.jpg

The platforms will be painted and glued into position, then weathered to hopefully give a satisfactory appearance.

I am now back on track with the layout and hope to have some sort of working model by the end of the year!

Any comments are most gratefully recieved and if you have any ideas or suggestions dont be shy!!

Thanks

Rob

Rob,

Iv just looked though all your blog pics, fantastic layout I love your football ground and BR blue, the big terminus station and carrage siding are very good also.

I hope its really going to get like the 80's with everything weathered and dirtied up. :lol:

please keep up the good work.

Stu

Thanks Stu.

The layout will hopefully be a accurate representation of the 80's, with lots of filthy locos and stock. The stadium is actually the home of the local Rugby League team and is a tribute to the former home of Wigan RL (Central Park) where i spent many happy times!

I'm currently working on the station buildings and will post some photos over the weekend.

Rob

Oooops rugby ground :blush: , I follow the round ball game :lol: the old Central Park?

That new flat pack thing they have now is not a patch on the old ground, done they same with most of the new football grounds built, lost all the atmosphere.

Your dept scene with the Deltics reminds me of Barrow Hill when the Deltics were lined up a few years back.

cheers

Stu

You're right about the new stadiums, much better facilities (the gents at Central Park used to be a wall!!!) but the atmosphere is never the same :( These new grounds have no soul!

As you've no doubt guessed, i'm a little obsessed with all things Napier, i have got all 22 of the production and a kit of the prototype. I have a photo of Finsbury Park with 6 Deltics lined up - much the same as Barrow Hill and it just oozes atmosphere!!

Cheers Stu

Was working on 40145 last Saturday and Deltic 22 was stabled about 50 yards away, looked good with its BR blue & domino headcode fitted. To clean mind :lol:

Just had a look on old RM Web, and your station was doing my head in, it remined me of somewhere?

Man Pic with the though platforms, of course :lol: .

With your wall arches looking like Kings Cross I take it thats the rough plan South Hemsworth is based on?

Cheers

Stu

didnt realise you were a member at the ELR, i try to get down to help Martin when i can with the Deltics, but he's been busy on the big railway recently! Will be down when we finally start work on 16 :)

The layout isnt based on anything in particular, just my interpretation of a busy major terminus, but i guess when i drew the track layout i had Man Pic in mind, and certainly developing the idea for the station bulidings i took pics from KX, i also looked at St Pancras and the old Manchester Exchange for ideas on the arches.

Regards

Rob

While i have been off work, i have been able to crack on with the station buildings. The orginal concept was sketched up and ideas sought from various stations, the basis was settled as Kings Cross and a mock up created.

The original idea mocked up

post-7748-128351706634_thumb.jpg

post-7748-128351700631_thumb.jpg

I was not happy with the idea, as due to the length of the building (over 7'!!) it would simply be too much and far to many arches, so an alternative was required. Further research came up with some new ideas and after some full size sketches i was happy to continue.

The final concept as the arches are cut out

post-7748-128351714018_thumb.jpg

post-7748-128351719631_thumb.jpg

The large arches are where the ticket barriers will be and will show through into the booking office and concourse area. The smaller arches will be recessed doorways, for toilets, offices and buffet. The blue squares show where the windows were to be cut out, i had decided to use the Wills round top windows and cut them down in height, as i felt they had the right victorian feel to them. The building has been covered with dressed stone and using Wills corner stones to create the decorative finish.

post-7748-128351725743_thumb.jpg

post-7748-128351732403_thumb.jpg

I hope that the building will be as impressive when it is finished as it looks now, the plan is for the roof spans to come off the top of the roof and cross to a retaining wall on the other side of the station.

More progress soon ......

post-7748-128351732403_thumb.jpg

I hope that the building will be as impressive when it is finished as it looks now, the plan is for the roof spans to come off the top of the roof and cross to a retaining wall on the other side of the station.

I'd be tempted to put your arches on the outside of the edge and leave them open or glazed appropriately with the retaining wall against the, er wall! Will over some excellent glimpses through them when all up and running

wink.gif

Looks like being a really impressive wall! Do you have any plans for an overall roof or any backscene ideas?

The work so far kind of reminds me of a Bradford terminus....I can imagine lots of units and an occasional loco hauled service or maybe some shunting of parcel vans.

Really nice work so far.

Cheers

Andy

Looks like being a really impressive wall! Do you have any plans for an overall roof or any backscene ideas?

The work so far kind of reminds me of a Bradford terminus....I can imagine lots of units and an occasional loco hauled service or maybe some shunting of parcel vans.

Really nice work so far.

Cheers

Andy

Cheers Andy

The plan for the roof is to create arched steelwork from the top of the wall to a retaining wall on the other side of the station. I plan to leave these open so that i can see onto the platforms - i think that if i start to cover the roof it will take away the detail on the platforms.

There will be lots of both DMU's and loco hauled services and any parcels traffic will use that platform as access can be gained from the large single arch.

Tomorrow marks 2 years since my dad passed away, as i have said previously he was the reason i got into railways and modelling. I thought this time was an appropriate time to bring the work on South Hemsworth up to date.

The recent work has focused on the station buildings and walls. The last photos showed the skeleton of the station buildings as i stated to cover them in the stone sheets. The pics below show the work up to now on the buildings, i am waiting for some bits to allow me to finish the small arches and this in turn will allow me to complete the internals of floors and walls.

post-7748-056107400 1284068241_thumb.jpg

post-7748-085809700 1284068223_thumb.jpg

post-7748-056107400 1284068241_thumb.jpg

post-7748-030387400 1284068259_thumb.jpg

post-7748-029280800 1284068286_thumb.jpg

post-7748-067411400 1284068303_thumb.jpg

The building and wall are almost 2metres long and i think they provide a superb touch to the station.

The retaining wall has been started and is going to be a labour of love! :( The concept of the retaining wall is that it was originally built with windows, which have subsequently been opened out to walkways as the station has been expanded. The overall roof will cover the original victorian station and the more recent extension will be on the side of the retaining wall.

The photos below show the progress of the wall, from the cardboard mock up to the latest work.

post-7748-041092700 1284068591_thumb.jpg

post-7748-092608700 1284068608_thumb.jpg

post-7748-046550300 1284068630_thumb.jpg

post-7748-034565700 1284068648_thumb.jpg

post-7748-021161100 1284068664_thumb.jpg

post-7748-031338200 1284068683_thumb.jpg

post-7748-091907000 1284068736_thumb.jpg

post-7748-058028900 1284068747_thumb.jpg

Any comments welcome and appreciated.

RIP Dad - Love you Always

Rob, well, I'm not sure whether I'm qualified to comment here because what you're producing looks very majestic, and I envy your ability to hold the vision of this through to the stage it's at now.... at completion, this will surely be something to behold. I'm also pleased to note two other items: that you've gainfully employed HID as contract labour, with promising results; and you seem to have a good amount of space to accommodate all of this, especially those full length platforms. Well done - on both accounts B) .

Nice to see a rake of MkIIDs in there ... how I envy that !

Reading the thread - you help out at the ELR too..! That must be rewarding and fulfilling.

Looking at the structures, I presume that this is brick embossed card (?) overlaid on the basic material. I think that the effect is very crisp, and I agree that with some suitable weathering this should look very nice.

The sidings structures look very promising. Getting a real feel for concrete can be fun; I tried stippling some thinned black/dark grey into a light grey that already had a darker grey mottled wash applied for some trunking covers... I think it looked ok, but I suspect you'll have some fun with this. Looking forward to seeing how that pogresses.

I'll be watching this topic from here on in... please keep up with the good work and posts... because I'm going to need some pointers for when I finally pull my finger out and start mine:rolleyes: .

I'm sorry, but today's anniversary must be hard for you. I will raise a glass in your father's honour tonight. I hope that you can celebrate all that was good that he gave you.

With my warmest regards..... Jon

Interesting thread,

My dad also died just over two years ago,and as with you, he was the chief instigator of getting me into trains/planes and the hobby.

I also had a crisis of confidence, a new loco had just arrived and I kind of thought 'what's the point ?' - I guess a family disaster puts hobbies and suchlike into stark perspective at times like that.

Anyway I love the layout - keep going ! You clearly have a well defined view of what it is you are going after, it looks like you will have massive play value once it is completed.

Interesting thread,

My dad also died just over two years ago,and as with you, he was the chief instigator of getting me into trains/planes and the hobby.

I also had a crisis of confidence, a new loco had just arrived and I kind of thought 'what's the point ?' - I guess a family disaster puts hobbies and suchlike into stark perspective at times like that.

Anyway I love the layout - keep going ! You clearly have a well defined view of what it is you are going after, it looks like you will have massive play value once it is completed.

Hi Rob

Sorry to hear of your loss too, i know it will have been a devastating time for you.

You're completely right about putting things into perspective, i found that i lost all interest as i spent many hours talking things over with dad about how to build the different buildings and seeking his opinion on the progress. With his passing i felt there was no point carrying on.

Thanks for your comment about the layout, i do hope that i wont get bored of playing with it when i finally finish building - if it ever gets finished!!! :D

Rob

• 4 months later...

Well as per usual with the saga of South Hemsworth, real life has hampered progress. I finally returned to work after several months of an enforced holiday and then the harsh winter snows and frost made working in the garage impossible.

I thought the new year was the ideal time to bring the story up to date and post the last batch of photos.

The intermittent work has focused on the retaining wall and adding the brick detail to the station buildings. A visit to Warley and then Wigan exhibitions gave me the inspiration for the lighting and these will be made up of 12v mini bulbs rather than LED's if i run the lights at 9v they will give the murky glow that i had envisioned.

The retaining wall is all but finished and requires only slight detail work and then filling and painting. I will be putting pins into the platform to hold the wall in position but the whole structure will be in 2 pieces for movement.

The outer walls.

post-7748-0-32804500-1295304049_thumb.jpg

post-7748-0-07593300-1295304326_thumb.jpg

Thoughts then turned to the arch span and how best to create the right height and radius. The first attempt was too high so the span was lowered to a scale 70'

First Attempt

post-7748-0-68595600-1295304178_thumb.jpg

Second Attempt which was decided as the final span size

post-7748-0-93264800-1295304257_thumb.jpg

This is as far as i have got with the station building, but another smalll project has sprung up to hide a bit of the garage wall that was in a prominent place in the station. The concept is a Royal Mail sorting office with a parcels conveyor that spans the ends of the platforms. The idea cam from the former set up at Preston, this spanned from the main building over to the west side of the station. I tried the red paint for the cladding but decided it looked to modern so a liberal coat of drab 80's grey was applied.

post-7748-0-22412400-1295304746_thumb.jpg

post-7748-0-09169700-1295304776_thumb.jpg

post-7748-0-03685100-1295304804_thumb.jpg

So the story of South Hemsworth has been brought up to date. So far this year work has been on super detailling some of the entire Deltic fleet - a task for which i should be commited to the asylum!!!

As ever - any comments are gratefully recieved.

Rob

Cheers mate

The brick arches are from the Wills range. I had to cut them up into sections to create the right radius for the larger arches, but with the smaller arches and windows i actually cheated and used the same radius as in the kit! ;)

That'd be two of us in the asylum then Rob.... gibber gibber gibber. Good to see that you're back out in the railway room... and that the thaw has taken effect ;)... That PO sorting office is a neat idea... and oh yes, the Grey is much better.

All we need to see now is four Deltics at the buffer stops B) ... are you going to post a thread/blog on your detailing work?

Good to see your new Avatar... although I'm guessing that the link with the old images is that the rain left you were just as wet :lol: .... can't help notice that despite the noise, it's RSG that seems to be clagging.. I bet it was wonderful to hear.

Keep up the good work

Cheers Jon

I haven't actually ventured back into the garage as yet, the sorting office being born on the dining table! :D

When i'm happy with the first detailed loco i think i'll do a topic on it. i have been taking photos as i have gone along and oviously learning alot too!

Saturday was horrible, the photo on my avatar was at ISO800 and 1/40th with the camera perched on a wall! The light closed in so fast that i just gave up and headed home.

Rob

• 11 months later...

This post should be titled "Restarted - AGAIN!!"

After a life changing few months, where i moved house and became a father, the layout is on the move again.

Back in June, we were forced to move house (for varying reasons) and this meant that the layout had to be tested for it's transport capabilities! Fortunately, 99% of the layout came apart and moved exactly as designed, although i did manage to cheat and not split it into as many pieces as i should have. Apart from a couple of short lengths of rail and one point everything survived and went into storage in it's new home.

Obviously, the house had to be sorted first but i was (relatively) quickly able to get back onto the the reassembly of the layout. After some bargaining, which the UN would be proud of, i managed to convince SWMBO that the family didn't need the double garage, but it would be much better used by me! :D So South Hemsworth began to be reborn and quickly grew into something approximately 16' x 16', this has now given me, something which is as close to the original comcept as i can realistically achieve, and there is certainly a huge scope for the scenic side of the layout.

After 3 months of reassemly and a huge wiring task, the first phase was powered up for the first time last week. Over the past week i have had a couple of niggling electrical faults to trace and rectify, but finally last night the green light was given and the first loco moved under full DCC control!! :D

I will now be trying to progress the scenery as much as possible, but i also want to get some fun out of the layout, so there will be a much greater amount of time spent playing trains.

Below are a few photos, from the rebuild, but much more can be found at - http://www.deltic21.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=99

Photos of the previous incarnation of South Hemsworth can be found at - http://www.deltic21.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=98

Any comments, suggestions or general thoughts are always welcome and very much appreciated.

Rob

post-7748-0-22368400-1324393168.jpg

post-7748-0-38016300-1324393171.jpg

post-7748-0-81270300-1324393174.jpg

post-7748-0-23246400-1324393191.jpg

post-7748-0-90662000-1324393196.jpg

post-7748-0-80311400-1324393204.jpg

post-7748-0-41121200-1324393212.jpg

Archived