Hornby Class 31 circuit board

Mark G

Hiya

I'm hoping someone off here would be able to help me figure out the circuit board connections on the Hornby class 31270. I have the motor and pick ups done but need to find out what the other connectors are for and which lights they control. the model has 2 yellow LED's for the top lights and a red LED unit each end for the rear lights. If someone has a diagram or photo thwn that would be fantastic.

Thanks

Mark.

Cl 31 circuit board.pdf

Mark, Here's diagram of the circuit board for you, the board is the same at each end, so it doesn't matter which way around the loco is. The problem you have is that all bar the sound cl31 are wired negative feed, so it will be impossible to get the lights wired independently to a decoder. You will need to reverse the LED's on the cab circuit boards, so that the common negative feed can become the positive common feed and can be connected to the blue wire on your decoder. Then you can connect the negative wires to the head and tail light wires and you will then have full control of all the lights. Turning the LED's round on the cab circuit boards is the hard job, you can get at them by seperating the bits so you can replace the LED's. I've done four now, and although it's a bit of a fiddle it's worth it to get the lights all working independently.

Many Thanks for that Tony, what a great help!

I have fiddled with the wring and got the Top marker lights to work with the red tail lights at the oposite end and vice versa however its very frustrating that the rear red lights are on when pulling a load, would be nice to be able to switch them off independantly, any ideas?

Mark

Cl 31 circuit board.pdf

Mark, Here's diagram of the circuit board for you, the board is the same at each end, so it doesn't matter which way around the loco is. The problem you have is that all bar the sound cl31 are wired negative feed, so it will be impossible to get the lights wired independently to a decoder. You will need to reverse the LED's on the cab circuit boards, so that the common negative feed can become the positive common feed and can be connected to the blue wire on your decoder. Then you can connect the negative wires to the head and tail light wires and you will then have full control of all the lights. Turning the LED's round on the cab circuit boards is the hard job, you can get at them by seperating the bits so you can replace the LED's. I've done four now, and although it's a bit of a fiddle it's worth it to get the lights all working independently.

Mark, It does tell you in my initial response to you. Because the LED's are wired negative feed the decoder cannot be wired in so the tail lights work independently. What you have to do is take the light unit out of the cab and take it apart to get at the circuit board. Then take the red LED off the board and turn it around and solder it back on. Might be easier to buy some new LED's as you will probably end up wrecking the LED. Solder the LED back in place, so the green arrow on the back of the LED points to the right, as you look at the circuit board. Then wire the common feed wire to the blue or positive wire on the decoder. Then wire the 4 negative wires from the decoder to the 4 wires left, two at each end. But remember to put a resister into the connection to control the voltage. Hope that helps, if you need any more help then send a private e-mail, Tony.

• 4 weeks later...

Cl 31 circuit board.pdf

Hi Tony

Thanks for the drawing, I just found it doing a quick search.....you will see my question just posted in the Questions section.

Bob.

Archived