DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

hi,

I cannot claim any credit for Dave's work , my only role in this was that of project instigator, the chassis and supplier of tasty add-ons. The use of the Bachmann N tender was a no brainer, unfortunately Bachmann supply the straight side tender with a single full width tool box rather than the more common tool boxes as fitted to the slope side tender nevertheless it is a work of art.

The nice twiddly bits came from Mark at Markits and the SR stepped buffers are Nairnshire but I think that the 4F backhead was a 247 developments bit.

I am very pleased with the finished loco although I am not the recipient - the next model is Southern but something very special.

Tim

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I know this thread has been very quiet for a while, but I've not been idle. I've been building an Adams B4 from the South Eastern Finecast kit. I can't do a blow by blow feature on here as its possibly going to feature in a magazine article at some stage.

Heres a small sample of photos though, just to prove I've been active.

Cheers,

Dave.

2041067275_IMG_1187Small.jpg.cdce5359b14dd0fe5bffa302eb8b6df8.jpg

27592772_IMG_1269Small.jpg.5c75b56d09a53fdce5bdcbfc56f28720.jpg

849882290_IMG_1292Small.jpg.2ef2d53675efce780d8313234a04b20c.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 4

Lovely, David is a true artist.

30087 was chosen as it was a long-term habitué of Bournemouth and would often trundle down Parkstone Bank to work Poole Quay or the Hamworthy Branch- both have rather tenuous family connections.

Tim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought 30087 had a slightly different smokebox door to the others in the class? There is a photo of this in late Southern colours at Southampton docks on SEMG online

Hi,

Yes, I think you mean this photo? http://www.semgonlin...am/b4class.html I looked at that for a while; The text states that its a different smokebox door, but I think its just been cleaned, rather than it being a different pattern to the others. The only difference I've identified in the various smokebox doors is in the length of the hinge straps. The shorter ones end just over halfway to the centreline of the door, the longer ones go just beyond the centre. Oops, just noticed my cockup, 87 should have the shorter straps! Damn!

Boilers did get swapped around; the photo quoted above shows 87 with a rivited smokebox, but late BR period photos of it at Bournemouth & Pool show a plain smokebox. (Either welded or built with countersunk rivits)

Many thanks,

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Maunsell Z Class kit from DMR Products in Cornwall has been on the to-do list for a long time but has at last risen to the top of the pile.

Initial reaction to the kit is that it is gorgeous, beautifully etched in brass and nickel silver, with numerous superb brass castings and turnings.

I've not got very far with it yet, but everything fits together perfectly, with the minimum of fitting. A fair bit of bending and curving is needed, and its a tad fiddly in places, but well repays carefull and methodical assembly.

I would go so far to say that its possibly the best kit I've ever built.

Did the chassis first, and widened it slightly in order to get a Highlevel gearbox in. Its designed to allow sideplay in the axles, with spacing washers to reduce the sideplay in the first and third axles. By widening the chassis I've taken up the sideplay, but it can be added again by filing down the front of the appropriate bearing bushes. Its 00 by the way, and rigid with no suspension.

Power is provided by Mashima 1420 flat can, and Highlevel 80:1 LoadhaulerPlus gearbox.

1856398079_IMG_0882small.jpg.9584d8c060dd752af4c5cad6686e08ac.jpg

1646969990_IMG_0880small.jpg.189544e6edcfc32637a63b5eaae16c2e.jpg

Made my usual cradle to support the footplate and keep is flat and true during assembly.

335348095_IMG_0886small.jpg.3fd78b7ebb2dd1eefdd1297637d3fb82.jpg

313288241_IMG_0887small.jpg.b428b422658c0a0110ae0b4df52b0f11.jpg

The footplate valences fit into longitudinal slots running the length of the footplate, and there is a beautifully detailed etched overlay for the massive front bufferbeam.

1730893702_IMG_0891small.jpg.6d170f7337dea38482746b73fee2c6ac.jpg

Quality of the etched bodywork speaks for itself,offer the parts up to each other and they just click into place ready for soldering.

1587542983_IMG_0894small.jpg.146e35b00425418fc7d01d8da6ac0990.jpg

Hope progress reports will be a bit more regular than lately!

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Cab and tank parts fitted together perfectly and all I had to do was make sure everything was at right-angles when soldering. The bunker needed bending to a slight taper before soldering, at that took a bit of trial and error. The amount of taper seems slightly exagerated, but its not apparent unless you look at it from above.

We are not convinced that the bunker should taper at all, some photos seem to show the bunker sides parallel, with only the footplate tapering. The bunker is certainly narrower than the tanks, but the inward step is at the cab doors so its not obvious. I've kept everything as the kit intended though, and it looks fine.

The blanks in the cab doors have been left in place to maintain strength and shape of the cab, and will be removed once its all soldered to the footplate.

Cheers, Dave

1300018171_IMG_0898small.jpg.8f3e44bc0bc166143911d4d2fa5e1dc7.jpg

1184312787_IMG_0899small.jpg.e2a05a507aa523395035855194cff577.jpg

1126349143_IMG_0900small.jpg.5a2587ebc92f77867162014e27077419.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

I will follow this build with much interest as I have the same kit awaiting to be built, so that I can pension off my current Millholme white metal version.

I am afraid I agree with Michael that the bunker itself was not tapered at all, the footplate tapered at botht the front and rear of the loco. the widest point of the footplate just infront of the cab doors and tapered to almost meet the bunker side at the buffer beam. I deduce this from both studying photographs and also the Ian Beattie drawings (which do show a plan as well as the rear elevation.)

• RMweb Premium

Looks great so far. I had one of these built by Mr Brewin some years back and a very fine job he made of it too. However I had to get him to put flangeless on the two middle axles (yes both) as my layout* at the time had some curves less than 36". I wish I 'd asked him to do some simple compensation too.

I've got another one lurking somewhere to do myself (having got the original Brewin one to copy). Sad really as my Exeter Central* layout was sold on 9 years ago :scratchhead: Think they might get offered to some worthy SR modeller or at least one to a Scottish modeller, as I'm told one was used in Scotland at a dock somewhere in the early days.

Where were they allocated before they all went to Exeter as bankers?

Best of the seasons wishes from all @ 36E

• RMweb Premium

Anywhere heavy shunting was required, by the looks of things. See: http://www.semgonlin...m/zclass_1.html

Adam

Thanks Adam. I'm just hopeless at searching for stuff like that; I've learnt more in two minutes than in 50 + years!!!

Three in Scotland; so I wasn't dreaming then?

As an aside I remember them well at Central, especially when a ballast train came up the bank. What a blast that could be with a Z piloting an N & with two Zs on the back end; happy days, hence my enormous enjoyment if the pics in that link.

Merry wotsits from all @ 36E

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am afraid I agree with Michael that the bunker itself was not tapered at all, the footplate tapered at botht the front and rear of the loco. the widest point of the footplate just infront of the cab doors and tapered to almost meet the bunker side at the buffer beam. I deduce this from both studying photographs and also the Ian Beattie drawings (which do show a plan as well as the rear elevation.)

Thanks for your thoughts Gentlemen. I have now managed to remove the taper from the bunker, by unsoldering the bunker rear, bending the sides straight (or straighter than they were) and laminating bits of spare etch to the bunker sides to increase the width before soldering the bunker rear back in place. I thought I might have to replace the bunker rear sheet, but was anxious to retain it as it has all the slots and holes to locate the many lampirons steps and handrails than adorn the rear.

It looks a lot better now.

Thanks, Dave.

The Z's at war

In May '43, three of the class, 951, 955 and 956 were loaned to War Department for use at Stranraer. They were repainted in dark grey, yellow lettering and red coupling rods whilst their numbers were changed to 213, 214 and 215 respectively. They were returned to the Southern Railway in December '43, no doubt back in Southern livery.

Stranraer and its surrounding area saw a significant amount of activity during WW2, as it became a focus for anti U-boat work and it was the principal ferry terminal for traffic to Ulster.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"In May '43, three of the class, 951, 955 and 956 were loaned to War Department for use at Stranraer. "

Three Zs sounds a little excessive, but for a layout idea that has been given me based on a wartime harbour in Scottyland..... :no: !!

Back to reality; I wonder if some clever clogs will be able to produce a suitable DCC sound chip for a Z? If so, that would be very clever indeed.

If I can find mine I'll post a pic so you can all see Mr B's fine machine. :scratchhead:

P

• RMweb Premium

It looks like you are really enjoying this build Dave, very nice. Pete

Thanks Pete, I certainly am enjoying this, its a beaut.

If I can find mine I'll post a pic so you can all see Mr B's fine machine. :scratchhead: P

I would be very interested to see that,

Thanks, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Pete, I certainly am enjoying this, its a beaut.

I would be very interested to see that,

Thanks, Dave.

OK. Here it is (twice) excuse lack of DOF.

post-2326-0-30590000-1324378084.jpg

post-2326-0-02882400-1324378103.jpg

DMR kit built for me by Geoff Brewin quite a few years ago now. I've just noticed it has a 'tapering' bunker; it's the kit design.

However I think this kit captures the chunky look of this Class beautifully and Geoff has made a damn fine job of it. He even painted it for me as in those days I couldn't even face that AND it is only black (with a bit of red)! I can could (if I ever got on with any) actually paint black loco's these days.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I seem to recall reading that 30953 was supposed to be earmarked for preservation, but did not make it into the final group.

Yup. Many stories of it stored at Feltham with some other 'survivors' and then disappearing off the face of the railway. I think it would have looked really good somewhere with a bit of an incline (Bluebell); OK so it would be sort of out of area but I think it would have been a goody to have.

P

• RMweb Premium

OK. Here it is (twice) excuse lack of DOF.

post-2326-0-30590000-1324378084.jpg

post-2326-0-02882400-1324378103.jpg

DMR kit built for me by Geoff Brewin quite a few years ago now. I've just noticed it has a 'tapering' bunker; it's the kit design.

However I think this kit captures the chunky look of this Class beautifully and Geoff has made a damn fine job of it. He even painted it for me as in those days I couldn't even face that AND it is only black (with a bit of red)! I can could (if I ever got on with any) actually paint black loco's these days.

P

Very nice indeed Mallard. I see you have got the valvegear blackened, improves its look no end and gives it the perfect oily steel look.

Can I ask what sort motor/gearbox you have used? And is the chassis rigid or compensated?

Thanks for posting,

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very nice indeed Mallard. I see you have got the valvegear blackened, improves its look no end and gives it the perfect oily steel look.

Can I ask what sort motor/gearbox you have used? And is the chassis rigid or compensated?

Thanks for posting,

Dave.

Hello Dave. Thanks for the comment, however you might have missed that it was built by Mr. Geoff Brewin (now of Comet Models) so he did all the work. I've put it back in the loft but I think it would be a Mashima + a Comet gearbox of some sort. It has the middle two axles with flangeless drivers. No compensation as it was for an OO layout long gone; think that was Peco Code 100 but could have been C75? It used to run well and slowly but has been 'boxed' for almost ten years.

If you contacted Geoff he might have a record of the build? If you can't do that or he has not got a record, get back to me and after Christmas, when I'm back in 36E, I'll pop up and get her out again and check the gear inside.

P

• RMweb Premium

Straightening out the bunker improved the look of the rear end imediately, so I cracked on with adding the detail bits. The only casualty of this was the coal plate within the bunker, but I was possibly not going to use it anyway.

The cab spectacle and side window frames fitted into their half-etched recesses perfectly, but soldering them needed a steady hand and heatproof fingertips. Next job is the boiler.

1535402376_IMG_0928small.jpg.ef5b0c159e753f58b9e41bca2106ef4e.jpg

475770267_IMG_0929small.jpg.2c6927724994f72b0be1344ec8855d84.jpg

The normally reliable Ian Beattie's drawing in Railway Modeller drawing shows the bunker as tapered, but the Paul Vine drawing in Iain Rice's RailModel Digest shows it straight. A friend of mine has built the O-Gauge version of the same kit with a straight bunker, and it looks absolutely superb.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 2