Horrabridge - P4 BR(WR) Circa 1956

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

Hi chaps,

I've decided to move over to a layout thread, rather than a blog purely as I prefer threads! Here is a link to my old blog.

Over the past week (bar this weekend as I went away!), I have been plodding slowly along with the track work for Horrabridge. I'm not going to do a 'how to' guide for this section, as this was the first time I've built P4 chaired track! The section I have started is shown below on the old OS map which dates from 1906; fortunately the layout of the station didn't change between 1905 and 1964 when the track was lifted.

post-7376-0-40502600-1295195758_thumb.jpg

The section circled in blue is what I have started. (Between the level crossing and the bridge)

The photographs below show some progression with this 6 foot section of the layout (the total length of the layout, excluding fiddle yards will be 18feet)

First of all the Templot plan is cut out on a length of MDF, I use MDF purely as a hard surface, the track will be laid on top notch 9mm ply. The top then has a coat of thin PVA glue to hold the sleepers in place. When the track is ready for installation on the baseboards it will be soaked off the backing sheet and laid on cork floor titles.

post-7376-0-84032700-1295196400_thumb.jpg

First photo shows the Templot plan, this is currently 6ft. Unfortunately I only noticed the 'kink' in the down rail once I started laying the track, but this will be smoothed out when laid properly.

post-7376-0-15959800-1295196488_thumb.jpg

Second photograph shows Exactoscale bases with GWR chairs and Steel rail, the photograph is looking towards Plymouth!

post-7376-0-59207900-1295196554_thumb.jpg

Third photo shows C&L sleepers, with two copper clad sleepers laid underneath the V of the crossing to support it.

post-7376-0-95986300-1295196619_thumb.jpg

B7 under construction using C&L sleepers, but Exactoscale chairs and rail.

post-7376-0-59096000-1295196657_thumb.jpg

GWR Toad van sits on the point, which needs tiebar, slidechairs and soldiering to complete.

post-7376-0-48869400-1295196712_thumb.jpg

A Bachmann 7plank mineral wagon and the brake van sit on the Down line (looking towards Launceston)

post-7376-0-10213900-1295196766_thumb.jpg

Last photo shows Hornby Code 100 track against Exactoscale, really does look so much better!

Anyway hope this is of interest to you all, any comments/advice will be warmly received!

Regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Nick, glad to see that progress is being made.

Thanks Alan,

Its been a bit slow, but I do have a sort of plan! What I'm hoping is that by doing a couple of hours every week that it will slowly come to life! This section took about 8 hours or so over 6 days, so a lot longer than if I'd used Peco track, or even Exactoscale fast track, but I'm happy!

The next job for this section will be to lay the 'up' line, which includes a catch point, so that will be interesting!

Regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see some progress Nick :good_mini:

Given my slow work rate of late it will be interesting to see who can make the most progress on their respective projects over the next year :)

• RMweb Gold

Good to see some progress Nick :good_mini:

Given my slow work rate of late it will be interesting to see who can make the most progress on their respective projects over the next year :)

Thanks Brian,

Well plan A is to have the track finished by Easter, which is fairly achievable, then over the holiday get the baseboards built, so two weeks to build two fiddle yard boards and 5 scenic boards, should be ok and then over the summer holiday have the track working, so DCC fitted and point motors installed and dare I say it signals! :blink: (Should be fine!)

Regards,

Nick

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Right then chaps, time for an update!

Progression has been a bit slow of late, at one point I thought I was going to move up to London to be with my now ex girlfriend! But this isn't going to happen now, so I can get on with my railway. laugh.gif

Right my original plan for Horrabridge was to produce a scale-model, but for a couple of reasons I've decided against this. The first and overriding factor has been a lack of space, a scale model would be nearly 20ft long, without fiddle yards, so once these had been added the model would become just shy of 30ft. The second factor is that if the layout was a scale size I would only be able to put the layout up at an exhibition, and I have really miss having a layout up at home to play with so I feel it is better to work this the space available. This leads me to the last point, which is time, which I think most people struggle with, so as I said I feel it is better to work with what I have rather than setting myself up for a fall.

So with all of the above in mind I set about changing my plans, this in itself created a huge number of problems! The space available in the loft is 18ft by 11ft and I have struggled to compress Horrabridge's track plan to fit in this area, every plan I produced I didn't like. So I've decided to employ a professional in the from of Mr Iain Rice to produce a plan for me! So I'm really looking forward to working with Iain of the coming weeks.

I've also decided to work with Chris Yates (who constructed the boards for Barrow Road) to produce my boards, although I will hold fire until Iain has produced a plan before I commission Chris to build my boards. I think that once I have the boards the layout will come together more quickly, as I haven't got access to the woodworking tools that I thought I had and I think that the quality of Chris' boards are far higher than anything I could produce on the garage floor!

So hopefully over the coming weeks there will be a few nice little developments! In the mean time I'm off to carry on threading chairs!

Regards,

Nick

Guest jonte

Right then chaps, time for an update!

Progression has been a bit slow of late, at one point I thought I was going to move up to London to be with my now ex girlfriend! But this isn't going to happen now, so I can get on with my railway. laugh.gif

Right my original plan for Horrabridge was to produce a scale-model, but for a couple of reasons I've decided against this. The first and overriding factor has been a lack of space, a scale model would be nearly 20ft long, without fiddle yards, so once these had been added the model would become just shy of 30ft. The second factor is that if the layout was a scale size I would only be able to put the layout up at an exhibition, and I have really miss having a layout up at home to play with so I feel it is better to work this the space available. This leads me to the last point, which is time, which I think most people struggle with, so as I said I feel it is better to work with what I have rather than setting myself up for a fall.

So with all of the above in mind I set about changing my plans, this in itself created a huge number of problems! The space available in the loft is 18ft by 11ft and I have struggled to compress Horrabridge's track plan to fit in this area, every plan I produced I didn't like. So I've decided to employ a professional in the from of Mr Iain Rice to produce a plan for me! So I'm really looking forward to working with Iain of the coming weeks.

I've also decided to work with Chris Yates (who constructed the boards for Barrow Road) to produce my boards, although I will hold fire until Iain has produced a plan before I commission Chris to build my boards. I think that once I have the boards the layout will come together more quickly, as I haven't got access to the woodworking tools that I thought I had and I think that the quality of Chris' boards are far higher than anything I could produce on the garage floor!

So hopefully over the coming weeks there will be a few nice little developments! In the mean time I'm off to carry on threading chairs!

Regards,

Nick

Gosh, Nick. Judging by your previous posts, you're obviously an accomplished modeller and with the support of such gurus as Messrs. Yates and Rice, Horrabridge is going to be something to behold.

I shall certainly keep an eye to this one.

Best wishes from the poor end.

Jonte

• RMweb Gold

Gosh, Nick. Judging by your previous posts, you're obviously an accomplished modeller and with the support of such gurus as Messrs. Yates and Rice, Horrabridge is going to be something to behold.

I would go that far! laugh1.gif

I must confess it was my fathers idea to outsource some of the work and I've always enjoyed Iain's writing and Chris' boards are beautiful, it almost seems a shame to cover them up. Biggest problem is that I struggle with time management, I have quite a busy life outside of work and modelling and there always seems to be something else that requires my time! Hence going for this approach.

Thanks for your interest, I shall try not to disappoint!

Regards,

Nick

Guest oldlugger

Nice one Nick! I'll be watching your progress with interest; I'm at the same stage of development on my P4 layout as you are with Horrabridge. Yoicks and tally ho! As they say in horse circles...

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

time is the biggest problem of all so it is wise to plan something modest and at least this way if you have got the time to exhibit the finished layout at least you can use it at home. I shall be interested to see what Ian comes up with. An oval would be doable in 18x11 nice to give locos a chance to stretch their legs.

Don

Time is everyone's enemy. Setting achievable goals is something we should all do.

Acceptable compromise is the way forward, a space 18'x11' is quite big - and I'm sure, knowing Iain, that he'll come up with something unusual that is outside the box.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers for your input chaps, it's funny I moan about not having a huge amount of time, but I wouldn't swap anything about too much. I enjoy being out in the garden and that takes up a huge amount of modelling time, but as I spend most days stuck in a classroom I like to be out as much as possible. Having said that I have started taking my modelling outside and working on a wagon or two on the garden table enjoying both of my hobbies!

Anyway I will keep you all posted as things happen.

Regards,

Nick

Archived